Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813828 times)

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5265 on: June 25, 2011, 10:22:36 pm »

Also going to ask again if anyone has any clue why my game wont give me hangers/boat bays,
You're looking in "Missiles/Kinetic Weapons" right? (oddly enough :p)  Did you do a "Conventional" start?  I think boat bays need Trans Newtonian Technology (under Construction/Production), so do you have that research completed?  I think that SHOULD be enough, but maybe you need the "Jump Point Theory" tech finished too, not sure.  Does Cargo Handling Equipment show up in Logistics? That has Trans Newt prerequisite too, so if that shows up and Boat Bays don't then I dunno...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:26:53 pm by gimlet »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: June 25, 2011, 10:24:36 pm »

Also going to ask again if anyone has any clue why my game wont give me hangers/boat bays,
You're looking in "Missiles/Kinetic Weapons" right? (oddly enough :p)
Huh? Last time I remember, it was in Logistics, like all other non-weapon/shield/sensor/engine/etc technologies.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: June 25, 2011, 10:29:41 pm »

Nope, in my game Boat Bays/Hangars is under Missiles.  Also note I edited above to correct the required tech.

EDIT: Confirmed by looking in the Tech Manual (handy as I still don't have the complete hang of the tech tree, simple though it is) http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3555.0.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:34:30 pm by gimlet »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5268 on: June 25, 2011, 10:29:52 pm »

Also going to ask again if anyone has any clue why my game wont give me hangers/boat bays, they wont show up on the design screen, and looking through every research option (after looking at everything including stuff I can't yet research/have completed) there's nothing that will unlock them. I've reinstalled/patched the game at least half a dozen times but it wont show up.
Rather than guess, could you post the database of a game you have running where the boat bay/hangar aren't showing up? Put it up somewhere and I'll download it and check around. I'd recommend just uploading it to google docs (yes, you can upload non document files) and then sharing the link.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: June 25, 2011, 10:58:12 pm »

Also going to ask again if anyone has any clue why my game wont give me hangers/boat bays, they wont show up on the design screen, and looking through every research option (after looking at everything including stuff I can't yet research/have completed) there's nothing that will unlock them. I've reinstalled/patched the game at least half a dozen times but it wont show up.
Rather than guess, could you post the database of a game you have running where the boat bay/hangar aren't showing up? Put it up somewhere and I'll download it and check around. I'd recommend just uploading it to google docs (yes, you can upload non document files) and then sharing the link.
You aware that the DB is generally huge right? I think you can compress it quite a lot though, but even so, it's still quite big.

The research should be right on the missile/kinect research options, first as Boat Bay, and then after you research it, Hangar Deck. If it isn't there you might have chosen to start as a conventional empire. If so is the case research Trans Newtonian technology in construction/production and it should appear. If even so it doesn't appear, you might try posting at the official aurora forums.

Btw, just confirming, you're using the 5.42 version, correct?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5270 on: June 25, 2011, 11:03:20 pm »

You aware that the DB is generally huge right? I think you can compress it quite a lot though, but even so, it's still quite big.
Google docs gives you a gig of free space. If you can't fit your database in there, then you have some massive games. I have 3 games going in my current database and its only 68mb.

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: June 25, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »

Well, I am officially an idiot and it was in Missile/Kinetic weapons, thanks gimlet! I was under the impression from other sources it was in Logistics, and it probably doesn't help that I don't normally touch missiles (too much hassle compared to lasers).

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: June 26, 2011, 09:00:59 am »

Well, I am officially an idiot and it was in Missile/Kinetic weapons, thanks gimlet! I was under the impression from other sources it was in Logistics, and it probably doesn't help that I don't normally touch missiles (too much hassle compared to lasers).

They have MUCH better range though. As in, 60m km is not a hard range to get with them. With drone carriers you can even get a good half billion km...
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: June 27, 2011, 01:45:12 am »

One other use for beam weapons is Jumppoint Defense.  Whenever a ship jumps into a system, their sensors are out for a few seconds.  If you have your beam ships sitting right on the Jumppoint, then you can hammer the enemy before they get their sensors back online.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: June 27, 2011, 04:59:21 am »

Is there a way to make my colonists on Titan stop breeding? They keep complaining about overcrowding while it are their own children that are causing the overcrowding...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: June 27, 2011, 05:29:56 am »

Nope. There's no way to get them to stop.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: June 27, 2011, 05:57:57 am »

You can load the excess into ships, while loaded, they won't breed.
However they won't work or create commerce either.

You may design orbital barges... ships with only minimal hull, drive and loaded with holds. or orbital cities.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:57:53 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: June 27, 2011, 06:04:54 am »

Ok, I made some terracotta terraform installations on earth, but there doesn't seem to be an option to load then ito my cargo ships. How do I transport terracotta installations?
I also just made my first war ships and they already suffer failures. How do I make them dock or something like that? Just so the crew won't destroy my boats...

EDIT: Nevermind loading terracotta components works fine...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:44:41 am by Dutchling »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: June 27, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »

You can order them to go to a planet to pick up resource supplies. You need engineering sections on a ship to hold the supplies though. Even a fighter, though in logistics I believe it is you can research smaller engineering sections (not better, but they fit on a fighter)

For larger ships where it does not add a lot of tonnage it might not be a bad idea to add maintenance storage bays (which unlike engineering bays don't reduce failure rate, but they hold a lot of supplies)

It's also a good idea to have a specialized design that can carry a lot of maintenance supplies in case a ship runs out and the engines break. In addition it could be a dual purpose fuel tanker/maintenece ship without too much trouble by sacrificing some speed, adding more engines and maintenence and cargo space and increasing build cost slightly. Add on a tractor beam and you have a general purpose wreck and repair ship design. You can order the wrecker to resupply a stranded ship or refuel it or salvage it if it's too late if the wrecker has some cargo space.

If you want to move the fighters around safely since they only hold so many supplies you'll need to assign fighters to a squadron and then assign the squadron to a mothership that either holds maintenence supplies and has hangars or has hangars and is designed to be in a fleet with a specialized maintenence ship .
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: June 28, 2011, 03:25:11 am »

Make sure you have enough maintenance facilities on your fleet base planets. You need 1 facility per 200 tons (or 5 per 1000 tons). If you don't park your ships at a planet with enough facilities, they'll start accumulating wear and tear.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 1347