Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809891 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5235 on: June 25, 2011, 11:31:48 am »

Yeah, active sensor are radar, and give you the target size, speed, class, tell you if you've seen that ship before and where it's heading.

Missile FC are for... controlling missile. You need at least one of those connected to a launcher for use. It use the same rules as active sensors for deciding whether it can target something or not.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: June 25, 2011, 12:49:24 pm »

Alright, I tore out the fire control and the sensors of my ship and replaced them with better ones:
Code: [Select]
Hunter class Cruiser    45,550 tons     3984 Crew     5721.6 BP      TCS 911  TH 2800  EM 0
3073 km/s     Armour 7-113     Shields 0-0     Sensors 30/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 36     PPV 312
Annual Failure Rate: 461%    IFR: 6.4%    Maint Capacity 2826 MSP    Max Repair 482 MSP    Est Time: 1.14 Years

Magneto-plasma Drive E0.8 (14)    Power 200    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 200    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range 74.1 billion km   (279 days at full power)

Quad 40cm C3 Soft X-ray Laser Turret (4x4)    Range 192,000km     TS: 15000 km/s     Power 160-12     RM 6    ROF 70        40 40 40 40 40 40 34 30 26 23
40cm C3 Soft X-ray Laser (8)    Range 192,000km     TS: 3073 km/s     Power 40-3     RM 6    ROF 70        40 40 40 40 40 40 34 30 26 23
Fire Control S16 96-12000 (2)    Max Range: 192,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     95 90 84 79 74 69 64 58 53 48
Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (1)     Total Power Output 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR10-R1 (1)     GPS 168     Range 10.1m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH5-30 (2)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km
Laugh/cry more.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:38 pm »

Your power output is way too high. You have it pumping out 60 every five seconds, when all guns charging at once will only take up 15. Herp derp you have more than 2 guns  :-X
Also, assuming the quad turret is for point defense, it is far overpowered. It'll fire four shots every 70 seconds, and while those shots will probably hit, the other twenty or so missiles will be blowing holes out of your cruiser. Try to tone down the quad turret to the point that it'll fire every 5-10 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:08:17 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: June 25, 2011, 01:09:27 pm »

I never actually designed anything for point defense. Can somebody give me a quick tutorial on how to make one that can stop 40 some-odd speeding nukes?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: June 25, 2011, 01:20:38 pm »

Your best bet is layered defense from several ships.

First: Anti-missile missiles. They should be fast, quick to reload, and a warhead strength of 1. This is long-range defense.
Size 4 Anti-missile Missile
Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 12500 km/s    Endurance: 50 minutes   Range: 37.5m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.2083
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 187.5%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 37.5%   10k km/s 18.7%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   1.0833x Gallicite   Fuel x1250
Second: Turret-mounted beams. Tracking speed and ROF are more important than power, so try to find a happy balance. I prefer mesons for these, but others like using gauss or lasers. These guns can also be used to defend other ships, aside from the one being targeted.
Third: CIWS, or Close-In Weapon System. These take the form of a dual-gauss turret, and come with their own fire control. These can be mounted on any ship, even commercial designs. However, they can only defend the ship they are mounted on.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: June 25, 2011, 01:28:27 pm »

So, when I make a CIWS and mount it on a ship it comes with a free fire control?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: June 25, 2011, 01:32:56 pm »

Your best bet is layered defense from several ships.

First: Anti-missile missiles. They should be fast, quick to reload, and a warhead strength of 1. This is long-range defense.
Size 4 Anti-missile Missile
Missile Size: 4 MSP  (0.2 HS)     Warhead: 1    Armour: 0     Manoeuvre Rating: 15
Speed: 12500 km/s    Endurance: 50 minutes   Range: 37.5m km
Cost Per Missile: 1.2083
Chance to Hit: 1k km/s 187.5%   3k km/s 60%   5k km/s 37.5%   10k km/s 18.7%
Materials Required:    0.25x Tritanium   1.0833x Gallicite   Fuel x1250
Second: Turret-mounted beams. Tracking speed and ROF are more important than power, so try to find a happy balance. I prefer mesons for these, but others like using gauss or lasers. These guns can also be used to defend other ships, aside from the one being targeted.
Third: CIWS, or Close-In Weapon System. These take the form of a dual-gauss turret, and come with their own fire control. These can be mounted on any ship, even commercial designs. However, they can only defend the ship they are mounted on.
This anti-missile missile is humongous. They'll fire slowly and occupy lots of space. Try to make it size one if possible. Also, it has too much range. You aren't likely to see the missiles until range 3m or so, at least without huge resolution 1 active sensors.

The CIWS fire control can only control the CIWS itself. It's completely self contained.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: June 25, 2011, 01:40:42 pm »

Is there a way to measure distance in space?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: June 25, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »

Yup

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: June 25, 2011, 01:43:47 pm »

That's... Strange... I have 0% chance to hit because of my fire control...
Yup
Oh, don't worry, it's not like I wanted to know how or anything.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: June 25, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »

@ Felius: That was a first-tier missile tech design. Still, I'm not terribly good at designing missiles, since I normally don't bother with them.

Are enhanced radiation warheads good for anything other than planetary bombardment?

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: June 25, 2011, 02:02:20 pm »

@ Felius: That was a first-tier missile tech design. Still, I'm not terribly good at designing missiles, since I normally don't bother with them.

Are enhanced radiation warheads good for anything other than planetary bombardment?
Only planetary bombardment, assuming you don't want to use the planet afterward.

Edit: WTF?! All ships in my Battle Task group just vanished. Not moved, not destroyed, just vanished. o.O
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:10:18 pm by Felius »
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5247 on: June 25, 2011, 02:12:24 pm »

EDITEDIT: I'm trying to make my first combat ship, but I don't know what the difference is between  a search sensor active sensor and a missile fire control active sensor. Which one do I need? (I suppose I need one big sensor for ships and a small one for missiles right?)
The way combat works, in brief.

To target an enemy ship it must be detected by active sensors, which means you need an active search sensor which can detect the target at least to the range you wish to fire. Active search sensors are 'tuned' to a specific size (called the resolution) which they will detect best, so if you know what size your enemy's ships are you can tweak that somewhat for better results.

The active sensor feeds the location data to the missile or beam fire control. The missile or beam fire control must be able to handle both the distance of the target being fired upon and (for beams) the speed the target is moving, so again if you know how fast your enemy's ships move you can tweak this to be more efficient.

Fire control then feeds targeting data to the weapons assigned to it.

In the case of beams, the weapon also must be able to handle the range and speed of the target. If the target is significantly faster than the weapon's tracking speed, you will have accuracy issues. Fixed mount beams (those not in a turret) have a tracking speed equal to the ship's speed while turret mounted weapon tracking speed depends on the gearing ration and speed you enter when designing them.

For missiles, all you need to do is ensure the target is within the missile's max range and keep the target in your active sensors. The missile will attempt to intercept the target and asplode all over it with nukings. If you lose active sensor data for the target, your missiles will self destruct unless they have sensors on the missile itself. In that case they will continue to the last known position and then seek out enemy targets. (For missile with sensors you can fire them at waypoints and have them seek their own targets, or just dump them out of the ship with no targeting data and they'll find enemy ships within range.) Missile intercepts also depend on speed, with your missile point allocation to engine, maneuverability, etc controlling what chance the missile has to intercept targets moving at various speeds. You'll see that on the missile design page.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: June 25, 2011, 02:46:37 pm »

Wait, what, apparently my ships have gone to the enemy without informing me. o.O It was orbiting an enemy planet, yes, but all there was there were some grounds troops. So, what the in the name of Amok just happened?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: June 25, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »

I just noticed the picket (1km/s) option for a fleet. Does this mean that a fleet will only really stop moving and using fuel when it rickets?
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 1347