Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809873 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5220 on: June 24, 2011, 10:26:05 pm »

I did have a grav survey ship there for a while, but it eventually exploded because it couldn't get back fast enough.

The odd thing right now, there is a Hauler wreck weighing 46650 tons (My freighter ship) sitting on their home planet named Hauler #526. So far, I've made only 6 of those and there is only 3 haulers working on civilian lines. I don't get it.
You seem to have a lot of odd things. Did you ever update from your super old version 4.9?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: June 24, 2011, 10:28:04 pm »

I did have a grav survey ship there for a while, but it eventually exploded because it couldn't get back fast enough.

The odd thing right now, there is a Hauler wreck weighing 46650 tons (My freighter ship) sitting on their home planet named Hauler #526. So far, I've made only 6 of those and there is only 3 haulers working on civilian lines. I don't get it.
You seem to have a lot of odd things. Did you ever update from your super old version 4.9?
Indeed. I'm on 5.42.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5222 on: June 24, 2011, 11:46:45 pm »

Maybe it assigns an arbitrary number to each wreck.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: June 25, 2011, 12:44:59 am »

So, a battle had raged on for about 3 pages and I finally realized what caused it, I went to the alien's system to scan for jump points and I found wrecks, dozens of them. When I sent my salvage ship over there to tear those wrecks apart for tech, I met another alien race's battle fleet. They weren't friendly, at all, they immediately fired upon my salvage ship with nuclear warheads and destroyed it in about 30 seconds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5224 on: June 25, 2011, 12:53:12 am »

So, a battle had raged on for about 3 pages and I finally realized what caused it, I went to the alien's system to scan for jump points and I found wrecks, dozens of them. When I sent my salvage ship over there to tear those wrecks apart for tech, I met another alien race's battle fleet. They weren't friendly, at all, they immediately fired upon my salvage ship with nuclear warheads and destroyed it in about 30 seconds.
Cool! Now get some missile cruisers in there, wipe them out and salvage those wrecks!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: June 25, 2011, 01:11:31 am »

I threw together this shitty bucket of bolts to try and combat these enemy ships.
Code: [Select]
Portland class Cruiser    38,000 tons     3479 Crew     4780 BP      TCS 760  TH 2200  EM 0
2894 km/s     Armour 7-100     Shields 0-0     Sensors 30/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 35     PPV 288
Annual Failure Rate: 330%    IFR: 4.6%    Maint Capacity 2752 MSP    Max Repair 482 MSP    Est Time: 1.36 Years

Magneto-plasma Drive E0.8 (11)    Power 200    Fuel Use 8%    Signature 200    Armour 0    Exp 1%
Fuel Capacity 150,000 Litres    Range 88.8 billion km   (355 days at full power)

Quad 40cm C3 Soft X-ray Laser Turret (4x4)    Range 48,000km     TS: 15000 km/s     Power 160-12     RM 6    ROF 70        40 40 40 40 0 0 0 0 0 0
40cm C3 Soft X-ray Laser (6)    Range 48,000km     TS: 3000 km/s     Power 40-3     RM 6    ROF 70        40 40 40 40 0 0 0 0 0 0
Fire Control S04 24-12000 (1)    Max Range: 48,000 km   TS: 12000 km/s     79 58 38 17 0 0 0 0 0 0
Stellarator Fusion Reactor Technology PB-1 AR-0 (1)     Total Power Output 60    Armour 0    Exp 5%

Active Search Sensor MR1-R1 (1)     GPS 21     Range 1.3m km    Resolution 1
Thermal Sensor TH5-30 (2)     Sensitivity 30     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  30m km

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes
Note, I threw this together in about 5 minutes. LOOK AT IT, LOOK AT IT AND CRY/LAUGH

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: June 25, 2011, 01:25:48 am »

The one Fire Control is very bad. If you loose it, you have nothing else. Furthermore, you can only target one target at a time--FAC will absolutely ruin it.

I can also see that the ship is designed for both PD/anti-FAC and anti-ship. But fits the role poorly. I would use Gauss instead of lasers (just personal preference) if you're planning to go against missiles, and grab a different Fire Control, so it's not stuck shooting at missiles while ships come in, or shooting at ships while it's bombarded by missiles. In addition, make the anti-fighter/missile guns MUCH smaller, as you don't need that kind of stopping power for either.

Sensors are also kinda... short, in my opinion.

Finally, those Lasers are freaking SLOW ASS. They'll get quickly outclassed by... anything. They are pretty much only good for capital ship shooting. Useless at anything else.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: June 25, 2011, 01:39:26 am »

Also, I don't think you've got enough power to shoot all these weapons of yours. And your ship is much to slow for a beam ship. 48,000 km is knife range in space, and ennemy missiles ships won't wait for you to come close before shooting.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: June 25, 2011, 01:41:24 am »

...I don't even know how to engage enemy ships.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: June 25, 2011, 04:33:15 am »

You need to open the fight windows (look like a orange crosshair on the system map, no idea what the shortcut is.) and assign missile to launcher, launcher/beam to missle fire control/beam fire control and then fire control to target (The target need to be detected by active sensors). Then click on "fire" and look the ennemy go up in flame. Alternatively, there's an autofire option, but I don't like it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: June 25, 2011, 05:40:29 am »

Sounds like you broke it  ::)

What kind of order were you trying to repeat so much? Wouldn't it have been easier to just check the Cycle Moves box?

I don't know of any way to turn off error messages. Perhaps you can ask Steve on his forums.
*facepalm*

Guess I have to start again. I only played for 2 years it's no big deal.
EDIT: Some questions, if you don't mind:
-Are there any special minerals besides Sorium? as in: used for more stuff than just building
-What happens if I change my government type to anything other than Player Race
-What do Ordnance factories?
-what is the point of a researcher with 0% research bonus?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:59:01 am by Dutchling »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5231 on: June 25, 2011, 07:04:23 am »

-Are there any special minerals besides Sorium? as in: used for more stuff than just building
1. No
2. I don't know
3. They build missiles
4. A researcher with 0% specialty can still research, and may one day increase his specialty skill. Researchers get their base skill on every project, so if you put a 30% missile/kinetic scientist on a construction research project he gets a 30% boost. If you put him on a missile/kinetic, however, that is multiplied (x4 I think). It is often worth giving your lower level researchers a single lab and a long duration project just in the hopes that they will gain skill by working.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: June 25, 2011, 07:32:28 am »

Sounds like you broke it  ::)

What kind of order were you trying to repeat so much? Wouldn't it have been easier to just check the Cycle Moves box?

I don't know of any way to turn off error messages. Perhaps you can ask Steve on his forums.
*facepalm*

Guess I have to start again. I only played for 2 years it's no big deal.

2) In the beginning, it affects the number of different structures you get, and your base amount of RP. Governments such as a Meritocracy and Republic will, for instance, have more research facilities than a Military Dictatorship, whihc might have more shipyards or something.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: June 25, 2011, 08:10:44 am »

Ok, thx.

Right now I'm mainly geosurveying the sol system and bringing automated mines to Titan (there is some mineral there that I need to produce more automated mines).
Problem is that whenever my cargo fleet has less than 30% fuel it goes to earth to get more fuel but that order removes the cycling cargo order. Is there any other way to make it bring automated mines constantly?

EDIT: Solved it somewhat: just setting fueling orders in the main orders worked
EDITEDIT: I'm trying to make my first combat ship, but I don't know what the difference is between  a search sensor active sensor and a missile fire control active sensor. Which one do I need? (I suppose I need one big sensor for ships and a small one for missiles right?)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:48:06 am by Dutchling »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: June 25, 2011, 11:19:33 am »

A search sensor is a passive sensor (read: undetectable by other ships), like a thermal sensor. They typically have long range, but are useless for targeting and tend to be nonspecific (contacts would only show up as "heat emission" or something like that).

Active sensors are your ship's "radar". They are shorter range (scales with sensor size and resolution) and may not detect things if the objects are too small. However, they can give more precise details about the contacts and are required for combat.

Missile Fire Controls are the equivilant of Beam Fire Controls, and required to fire missiles. I'm not sure if they also count as sensors, but I don't think so.

Now for a hypothetical question, what do people think of sticking commercial engines on your military starships? Sure, they're bulkier, but they have much better fuel efficiency which may make them better suited for scout or survey vessels operating in deep space.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 1347