Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809819 times)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5190 on: June 23, 2011, 11:47:56 am »

Tutorials are outdated. In the earlier versions you couldn't start communication attempts before an enemy ship was on your active sensors.

Keep it for flavor or dump it. It will never save your survey ship.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:05:39 pm by Another »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5191 on: June 23, 2011, 12:02:34 pm »

Putting active, thermal or EM sensors on most ships is purely a RP affectation.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: June 23, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

Ok, not needed than.
Another question (as the tutorial totally skipped research): do I need to travel in time before I can perform any research?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:13 pm »

You need to advance time to the specified date or later before the technology has finished researching and you gain access to whatever was researched, apart from that you can research anything at any time as long as you can get to it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:11:06 pm by Jacob/Lee »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5194 on: June 23, 2011, 12:09:46 pm »

Ok, not needed than.
Another question (as the tutorial totally skipped research): do I need to travel in time before I can perform any research?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Most things in aurora happen on a 5 day clock. The research will complete at the end of the next 5 day cycle. Just keep advancing time.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: June 23, 2011, 12:12:03 pm »

All production and research is by default calculated only once every 5 days. Wait at max 5 more days or lower the value of the increment in game selection screen.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »

Ok that worked.
i have another question...
What does geological survey do? I thought it scanned a planet for minerals but I've done a survey on Mars but it doesn't shop up in the minerals list like Earth does although it does. I tried waiting another 5 days and refreshing but it doesn't work. Do I need something else to scan it for minerals?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: June 23, 2011, 12:50:59 pm »

Did you do it with a geosurvey ship? If yes, you jsut need to wait a while, it takes some time to survey a large body.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:36 pm »

That is what happening in Venus, but Mars and Titan have a white circle around them if I select 'show surveyed bodied' and the fleet/ship at the planet/moon has no order left. Unlike the one at Venus.
They both do not show up at the minerals tab.

EDIT: nvm, it seems to be working (for Venus at least)
EDIT2: Ok, Venus is ready with scanning now. But why did it need three scans before it worked? Does it sometimes fail or something? and what about mars and titan, I have scanned them three times already and they still do not show up on the minerals tab.*ninja edited
also: is there any way to see how long it will take to survey a place? The wiki isn't really helpful because all it gives me are ship classes.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:02:45 pm by Dutchling »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: June 23, 2011, 12:58:40 pm »

Oh, well, you've got no minerals on them then. No luck.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: June 23, 2011, 02:02:04 pm »

is there any way to see how long it will take to survey a place? The wiki isn't really helpful because all it gives me are ship classes.
There's an option to turn on "show survey points" on uhhhhh System Map "Display 2" checkbox "Show Geosurvey points" - this will show on the map, after the body name the remaining points needed to finish a survey of that body.  The number of points generated by a ship is shown on the ship design, and also on the Task Group - which is handier 'cause it shows the value modified by any Survey commander bonus.

I think the "time remaining" on the Task Group page will show the clock time left to survey, if it's actually at the body and started the survey (otherwise it's the travel time to the body I think).

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: June 23, 2011, 03:07:01 pm »

You can have it show the total time needed to complete all objectives it has on its plate.  I've had it up to +10 years with freighters before....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: June 23, 2011, 06:45:56 pm »

The NPR's (I hope) are in a real war, there's been 2 pages of time advancing 5 or 10 seconds.

EDIT: Man, somebody is in real deep shit, 5 pages.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 07:47:21 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: June 23, 2011, 11:14:42 pm »

Better than you being stuck in five pages of combat  :P

Who knows, maybe they'll wipe each other out!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: June 24, 2011, 01:59:47 am »

My first moves are always to start surveying systems, then doubling the construction factory count on earth, cranking out tons of mass drivers and automated mines then dumping them + all of earth's on every substantial mineral body in the system, usually the comets are first, then ultimately sucking all the minerals out of Sol. I got to the dumping part so far, I feel like a larger version of Earth currently. Also, I have noticed that if there are no ships/population at a sending mass driver that all packets en route from that body will freeze in space and no more will be sent until you get somebody there.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:10:23 am by Jacob/Lee »
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 1347