Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809434 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5130 on: June 22, 2011, 09:13:50 am »

how do I change the position of star systems on the galactic map?
Shift-left mouse button drag.  And then don't forget to use the save button (cunningly located under the "Sys Pos" button) or it will undo it all. 

Edit:Also, what are the point of colonies on bodies that can be terraformed but don't have many minerals?
1) Each colony gives more potential civillian trade once it hits a certain minimum size (3 mil?)
2) Smaller colony gives higher pop growth than huge one like earth.  (on its tiny pop, but have enough colonies and then it does add up)
3) If it's on the frontier, can be a handy maintenance base
4) Not THAT hard to ship minerals in.  Heck any colony will run out of minerals eventually (unless you get a REALLY lucky roll with millions), so be ready for it.
Thanks!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:19 am »

Any recommended readings (stories, lets plays and so on?)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: June 22, 2011, 10:13:14 am »

A LP-aurora just started here on Bay12 with 8players, RPing seperate newly TN nations on Earth.
Otherwise any military SciFi will work. . . or did you mean what Steve et al. write, inspired on Aurora?
I'd like some advice on that too. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:56 am »

Try "The Stars at War", by David Weber (awesome military sci-fi writer) and Steve White (creator of the Starfire series of tabletop games, which Aurora is inspired by). Contains epic battles and desperate last stands, technological and tactical development, and does not pull punches when it comes to massive casualties.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: June 22, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »

Any recommended readings (stories, lets plays and so on?)
Here, I'll list some of my favorite Aurora fictions on their forum. It may or may not require you to sign up for some strange reason.

NATO vs Soviet Union Campaign by Steve: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,112.0.html
New Terran Campaign by Kurt: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,97.0.html
The Earth Defence Authority by Ian: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/board,115.0.html
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: June 22, 2011, 01:55:42 pm »

For some reason, there is an 845 ton packet stuck on Titan, I can see it there and it is actually gaining tons, but it isn't moving. It's just sitting there on Titan, doing nothing. It used to be 31 tons, but now it gained a bunch.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:57:56 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:10 pm »

Jacob/Lee, IIRC mass drivers can only handle 500 tons per month. Unless this is some sort of glitch, it might be the game's way of telling you to park a couple more MDs on Titan to handle the surplus.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:50 pm »

They can handle 5000 tons a year, and there are 2 parked there. Also, will adding more construction factories increase building rate?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:35:46 pm by Jacob/Lee »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5138 on: June 22, 2011, 02:48:07 pm »

They can handle 5000 tons a year, and there are 2 parked there. Also, will adding more construction factories increase building rate?
Adding more factories will increase the rate you build installations on the industry tab provided you have the manpower to run them

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: June 22, 2011, 02:55:39 pm »

Guys, how the hell do I lower the resolution size? I can't find the buttons on the class thing.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: June 22, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »

Is there a way to automatically tell your ships to survey all the moons of a gas giant/all survey points in a system?

Edit:Also, how do I rename a system?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:08:34 pm by x2yzh9 »

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: June 22, 2011, 03:26:58 pm »

Is there a way to automatically tell your ships to survey all the moons of a gas giant/all survey points in a system?

Yes, well, kinda. In the task group window, at the special orders tab there is a default orders option. Set it to survey nearest body (or just planets and moons if you don't want to survey everything), and it will pick the nearest unsurveyed planet/moon/asteroid, and go survey it. It has a limit of 10 billion kilometers, so it might not automatically go to scan bodies that are very far away. Mine are all set like that, so I pretty much send them to a system and only look at them again when they start complaining that they are out of bodies to survey.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: June 22, 2011, 04:02:20 pm »

F9 screen, Rename Sys (bottom left).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: June 22, 2011, 06:02:14 pm »

I feel like the dev intentionally made it so Sorium (?) runs out first on Earth, all three of my real games I've ran out of it first. On my most recent game, it ran dry on Earth in about a decade. Luckily, Titan has 18 million tons, though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5144 on: June 22, 2011, 06:03:30 pm »

I feel like the dev intentionally made it so Sorium (?) runs out first on Earth, all three of my real games I've ran out of it first. On my most recent game, it ran dry on Earth in about a decade. Luckily, Titan has 18 million tons, though.
You'll want to stop refining it into fuel pretty early on. I stopped once I had 50 million liters of fuel, which has lasted me years so far.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 1347