Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809458 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5100 on: June 21, 2011, 06:47:58 pm »

So to move minerals from Washington-A III (A colony planet, in another system) to Earth I need to use freighters?
Yes. I usually use cargo ships on a looped order to pick it up in one system and drop it off at a collection point in another, where mass drivers fire it to the final destination.

For example in my current game all imported minerals are dropped off at an asteroid near the jump point (asteroid orbits are off) and they are then fired in-system to Earth. That asteroid has 15 mass drivers (and it still can't keep up) as well as an orbital habitat and a few labs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: June 21, 2011, 07:21:19 pm »

Can I move a construction factory, if so, how many cargo holds do I need?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: June 21, 2011, 07:21:31 pm »

So to move minerals from Washington-A III (A colony planet, in another system) to Earth I need to use freighters?
Yes. I usually use cargo ships on a looped order to pick it up in one system and drop it off at a collection point in another, where mass drivers fire it to the final destination.

For example in my current game all imported minerals are dropped off at an asteroid near the jump point (asteroid orbits are off) and they are then fired in-system to Earth. That asteroid has 15 mass drivers (and it still can't keep up) as well as an orbital habitat and a few labs.
Can I get the save of your current game?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5103 on: June 21, 2011, 07:33:43 pm »

I guess so... I don't think there's a way to separate games out though, and I have several games running as well as some I have just for testing things. What do you want to look at? I could just explain it.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: June 21, 2011, 07:38:41 pm »

I guess so... I don't think there's a way to separate games out though, and I have several games running as well as some I have just for testing things. What do you want to look at? I could just explain it.
If it's too hard then nevermind. What I mostly wanted to do was just play with your current setup instead of having to play the game up to that point. :P oh well.

In my latest game I met the Raxus Empire in the Ross system. After I exited the Ross system and established contact they sent gate constructors to the sol system, building jump gates. Handy...

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: June 21, 2011, 07:42:25 pm »

If it's too hard then nevermind. What I mostly wanted to do was just play with your current setup instead of having to play the game up to that point. :P oh well.

In my latest game I met the Raxus Empire in the Ross system. After I exited the Ross system and established contact they sent gate constructors to the sol system, building jump gates. Handy...
If either you can take them down, or you have a very good and peaceful relationship, yes, otherwise, terrible, as it means they can get in your system at will too.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: June 21, 2011, 07:50:48 pm »

So new question. How many automated mines should I build at start? Theres repeated corundium shortages on Earth as well as other shortages.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: June 21, 2011, 08:01:42 pm »

Automated mines take quite a long time to build, you might be better off picking some up from Earth and dumping it on a body with the minerals you need, then sending the occasional freighter to pick up the minerals and take them to Earth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5108 on: June 21, 2011, 08:55:04 pm »

So new question. How many automated mines should I build at start? Theres repeated corundium shortages on Earth as well as other shortages.
The answer to this depends entirely on your available sources of corundium elsewhere in the solar system. If another planet has a good supply and availability, then you can build as many as you want and plop them down there to mine more corundium for more mines.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:00 pm »

Man, I was telling somebody about this game and this forum on Omegle, but my shitty internet fell out and I lost the connection.

:(

Also, what do I need to get a floating habitat? That Mass Driver on Titan needs a crew to man it.

EDIT: Oh, hell, mass drivers are automated. That's awesome.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 11:37:11 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:08 pm »

Also, what do I need to get a floating habitat? That Mass Driver on Titan needs a crew to man it.
Orbital, not floating.

Anyway, check out this thread made by the game maker himself: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,2631.0.html I'm pretty sure it'll explain everything.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: June 22, 2011, 12:31:08 am »

So I am thinking of building a large ship with armor, weapons and shields, but instead of being completely covered in guns it has a bunch of tiny ships inside, each one of these ships holds a battalion of marines. While the main ship is drawing the fire, I release the little ships, board the enemy's ship and hopefully take it down, what technology would I need to accomplish this, and how would I make it so the tiny ships act as parasites on the main ship until they reach the battlezone?

Also, I keep getting "Error 5 was generated by Aurora; Attempted to call xxx" when I turn on Automated Turns now.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:35:24 am by Jacob/Lee »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5112 on: June 22, 2011, 12:45:57 am »

So I am thinking of building a large ship with armor, weapons and shields, but instead of being completely covered in guns it has a bunch of tiny ships inside, each one of these ships holds a battalion of marines. While the main ship is drawing the fire, I release the little ships, board the enemy's ship and hopefully take it down, what technology would I need to accomplish this, and how would I make it so the tiny ships act as parasites on the main ship until they reach the battlezone?

Also, I keep getting "Error 5 was generated by Aurora; Attempted to call xxx" when I turn on Automated Turns now.
To have the smaller ships dock in the larger you would need boat bays or hangars from logistics/ground combat tech. You'd also need troop transport bays and drop pod bays in each smaller ship, and each smaller ship would need to be massively faster than the target you're attempting to board unless you want to suffer huge casualties. (ship-to-ship boarding on something that is faster or equal to your speed will have horrendous casualties just getting onboard)

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: June 22, 2011, 03:07:35 am »

I suggest to go with gunboat-sized ships with marine companies. To have no losses while boarding you have to be 20 times faster. Also don't forget to transport your troops in transport pods and load them into drop pods in the last moment. You can make dedicated civilian transport ships fit for both boarding troops and engineer corps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5114 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:34 am »

You can make dedicated civilian transport ships fit for both boarding troops and engineer corps.
Partially true. IIRC drop pods make the ship military.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 1347