Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809543 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5055 on: June 20, 2011, 04:02:06 pm »

Also if it has a jump drive is the drive able to jump a ship of that size?

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #5056 on: June 20, 2011, 04:49:44 pm »

Also: Has anyone else spotted the Lagrange points which allow intra-system jumps? I just came across that, seems to be somewhat rare?

I had one of those in a binary system with the second star on a distant orbit (I forget distance, was several years away). At first I thought it was really cool, since it let me access that second star instantly. Then I realized the AI wouldn't use it, and every time I wanted to ship something to/from there I had to add the extra orders to use it. One time I forgot one of the orders on the return trip and had a cargo ship on a repeat order to deliver stuff there 6 months into the first trip back before I realized none of the stuff was getting moved off Earth and went looking for it, only to realize it was flying the long way. Had to send it back to the secondary star and redo the orders.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: June 20, 2011, 06:39:05 pm »

How do you merge Task Groups?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: June 20, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »

How do you merge Task Groups?
Two ways:

Get the ships to the exact same location and transfer the ships...

Or via the order screen (be sure to turn on Task Groups checkbox) select the target fleet and give the current fleet either the "Join" (the selected fleet goes to the target fleet and disbands, joining the target fleet) or the "Absorb" (the selected fleet goes to the target [?, never used it before] and disbands the target fleet, transferring all ships to the current fleet) commands. Boom, all together again.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: June 20, 2011, 07:55:35 pm »

Early on I build "Jump Tenders/Tankers" to work in concert with non-jump survey ships.  They fly out to the jump point and sit, a cheaper survey ship makes the jump through, if it's safe I send the other sruvey ship(s) through.  This way I can keep 1 jump tender in the previous system and simultaneously explore a couple of adjacent systems with cheap survey ships.  Also I put a bunch of fuel/spares on it because I got tired as hell of survey ships running out of gas or constantly having to run back to refuel.  It is a small pain to move it around from jump point to jump point to let the other ships transit, but hey what's a little more micromanagement in this thing :p    Then the survey ships can refuel and resupply from the nearby Tender.   I have a few extra Tenders so when one in the field needs to refuel/refit it can just be replaced.

Then I can use the same design as a fleet tanker and I co-ordinate my 1st military ship sizes to the size of that jump drive so I could theoretically do Squadron Jumps.   Next time I think I will put a minimal Hangar Deck on, so I can put a cheap fighter on there to test jump points.  And maybe even a scout fighter to check out a system - I am a little tired of losing survey ships :p

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: June 20, 2011, 07:57:09 pm »

Anyone have a .dll fixer tool? A bunch of the buttons give me errors because I don't have the required .dll files (Windows 7)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: June 20, 2011, 08:31:55 pm »

Try this site. It's given me no problems so far, and it gets all the DLL I ever needed so far. Never tried the fixer, since I've never needed it's fixing.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: June 20, 2011, 11:16:41 pm »

So I downloaded this, put it in system 32, tried the busted button on Aurora (the system view button, you know, the one that gives you info on the planets and such) and still got the error
"Error 713 was generated by Aurora
Class not registered.
*more babble about what it was and where to get it*"

When I did the optional method, using Run, I get this:
"The module 'msstdfmt.dll" may not be compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check if the module is compatible with and x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of regsvr32.exe"

Gah, errors, errors everywhere! Now I'm completely stumped.

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: June 20, 2011, 11:22:53 pm »

Yeah, same here, tomorrow I'll google that second error

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: June 20, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

Oh, damn, the .dll fixer actually worked! Download the fixer from the .dll file's page and use it, it works wonders, man. Now I don't need to drop shit on a planet to view it's atmosphere!

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: June 20, 2011, 11:43:12 pm »

oh great it did, thanks!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:38 pm »

:'(

WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME, AURORA?

Note, none of those were anything lower than 1 day increments. Most were 30 day/5 day. I can't figure out what keeps stopping the time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:32:01 am by Jacob/Lee »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: June 21, 2011, 02:36:16 am »

Welcome to problem numero uno for this game; you have other civilisations duking it out in other systems. If you read back a few posts, they mention automated turns; it's about the only way to get through them and stay remotely sane, but it's still by no means fast. Once you fire up auto turns, go make yourself a sandwhich or something.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:03 am »

Tried that, it still goes at the same speed.

Nevermind, the game goes at a decent speed. Guess the NPR's killed each other.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:48:24 am by Jacob/Lee »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: June 21, 2011, 02:48:16 am »

The point is, you set it on automated turns and then go have lunch or something. Let the AI fight it out.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Pages: 1 ... 336 337 [338] 339 340 ... 1347