Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809625 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #5025 on: June 19, 2011, 11:56:10 pm »

In conclusion; Plan this stuff out in advance. Never pays to have half your fleet stranded because you forgot to bring a tanker ship.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:39 pm »

In conclusion; Plan this stuff out in advance. Never pays to have half your fleet stranded because you forgot to bring a tanker ship.

Likewise, bring spare missiles. Those big fancy missile destroyers are so much junk metal if you run out of ammo.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:39 pm »

What do I need to research to terraform and colonize mars?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: June 20, 2011, 12:04:51 am »

Depends on your start.

If its not conventional, then nothing. You can transfer colonists and terraforming installations to Mars, unless you want to terraform via ship. Then you'll need to research the terraforming module.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: June 20, 2011, 12:05:28 am »

Nevermind what I said earlier, cancelling the group's order freed it up.

EDIT:
Due to a fuck up on my part, there was a discovered Jump Gate in Sol which lead to Proxima Centauri, but there was a man-made small gate there. I sent the entire scanner fleet there to scrub that place until we knew everything about it and they were too big to go back through the gate, so they were basically stuck there. If they tried to fly back manually, they would eventually break down in the middle of nowhere and we would never find them again. So they waited until better Jump Gate technology was made, when it was finished I through together this rickety bucket of bolts that had 25 military-grade nuclear engines, 30 engineering spaces and it still had a 3000% annual failure rate, it only went at 251 km/s, too. It was a wonder that thing managed to hold together long enough to reach the Jump Gate in Sol which was 591 million miles away, even more shocking that it managed to survive the 20 days required to build the gate. By the time we got there and built the gate, pretty much the entire fleet of scanners except for the Mark II geological scanners, which were much less prone to failure, was gone. I hope I never need to use that Jump Gate ship again, it has such an insane failure rate that if I tried to send it across Sol it would probably fall apart.

Oh, and the AFR without the engineering spaces was around 80000%
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:32:47 am by Jacob/Lee »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:45 am »

wtf?
Did you put military drive on it or something?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:08 am »

25 nuclear military-grade engines, yes. It also blew up twice due to a lack of spare parts, which I ultimately fixed after a few failed JG set-ups.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: June 20, 2011, 02:07:55 am »

Don't put freaking military engines on large non-military ships! They are NOT made for that job! They make a normally Commercial ship a Military ship. Commercial ships normally do not need any repairs. Military ships do. Commercial engines are not considered military, so do not make ships military. Military engines are considered military, and turn commercial-classed ships into military ships.

In a shorter, simplified version: Don't put military engines on commercial ships!
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: June 20, 2011, 02:11:38 am »

I needed to get the fastest ship possible, which is obviously very hard because of the Jump Gate builder, and considering how large commerical engines are military engines seemed better at the time.

It was funny watching 2 of them explode and the crew never being saved, though. No alien contact, yet, sadly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5034 on: June 20, 2011, 03:51:22 am »

and they were too big to go back through the gate
Wait what? I was fairly sure any ship could fit through jump gates. Are you sure the other side had a gate as well?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: June 20, 2011, 03:53:17 am »

The difference in gate builders is only in how long it takes them to build the gate. The small module needs a year, then the full size needs six months for the first model.  However, each jump point needs gates built on both sides.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: June 20, 2011, 07:28:13 am »

I needed to get the fastest ship possible, which is obviously very hard because of the Jump Gate builder, and considering how large commerical engines are military engines seemed better at the time.

It was funny watching 2 of them explode and the crew never being saved, though. No alien contact, yet, sadly.
Why do you need them that fast? It's going to go there and sit for at least six months while building the gate.

Remember that if a ship is classified as commercial it does not have any maintenance issues.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: June 20, 2011, 07:39:27 am »

You learned several things here:

-jumpgates work in pairs.
-found jumpgates are usually singletons, forming traps for your (cheap)surveyships and intrastellar cargo.
-putting military drives on a heavy civilian ship like colonizers, constructors etc is a bad idea.
-now you know why military ship designs are so stingy about mass.
-civilian construction has no rush.
-jumpgates have no max shipsize.
;)

I'd like to point out at this time, that enemies can use your gates without needing your permission.
It would be prudent to post some system defenses on the Sol side.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: June 20, 2011, 07:54:37 am »

-found jumpgates are usually singletons, forming traps for your (cheap)surveyships and intrastellar cargo.
That's why I make both my geosurveyors and gravsurveyors jump capable. A very small and cheap self jump drive is awesome to have.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5039 on: June 20, 2011, 08:02:30 am »

I use expendable 800 ton survey ships, or sometimes just long range drones with survey buoys.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 1347