Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809838 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4980 on: June 19, 2011, 03:20:36 pm »

Thats a pretty cool spot for one to spawn.

I wonder how the AI works when in that situation, cut off from the rest of the galaxy by a 12 year void. I wonder if they'll build hyperdrive grav survey ships.
Well the way the system is set up, there were 2 listening posts around the primary star which I captured with troops. I didn't expect the aliens to actually be in the secondary system though, I thought they'd simply dropped listening posts here from a nearby system. But Lo, I detect 12 ships and a shipyard over yon planet habitable. Hark, missiles approach with baleful intent and nuclear detonations detected. Alas, the science vessel fails.

I wasn't be able to rescue the 81 survivors in time, but I have avenged them. My extreme range MIRV drones (range of 380 million kilometers) have reduced the world to a glassy waste and shattered the ships in orbit.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: June 19, 2011, 03:49:01 pm »

I've found aliens pretty frequently around binary habitables, have not done much beyond exploration and dying though, so it might be a fluke.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: June 19, 2011, 04:01:58 pm »

Those kinds of systems are more trouble than they're worth. Easier to just terraform a less perfect planet than deal with a planet so far out.

Exception would be if the second star is loaded with minerals that you need. I once colonized a system like that because it had a huge world that was absolutely loaded with every mineral (hundreds of millions of each, and all at accessibility of 0.4 and above). Built a giant mining base on it and shipped giant loads of minerals back to Earth every so often using ships. Civ ships never went there though.
You could possibly set mass drivers to shoot the minerals back to the primary star. It would just take a LONG time for them to start arriving, but after the first, the stream should be constant.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4983 on: June 19, 2011, 04:59:05 pm »

Poor aliens.

Your ship approaches, and their military is all like "Alien invasion! Arm the nukes!"

Then when the civilians find out, they're all rioting and saying "You killed the intelligent life! They were probably friendly!" And they stage a coup and build a little fleet and prepare to send a peace delegation.

Then here come your nukes.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4984 on: June 19, 2011, 05:29:56 pm »

Poor aliens.

Your ship approaches, and their military is all like "Alien invasion! Arm the nukes!"

Then when the civilians find out, they're all rioting and saying "You killed the intelligent life! They were probably friendly!" And they stage a coup and build a little fleet and prepare to send a peace delegation.

Then here come your nukes.
To be fair, I did wait a number of years and allowed my diplomatic team to try establishing contact. They concluded that communication was impossible, and could make no further attempts so I glassed the planet and now I mine their bones for precious metals.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: June 19, 2011, 06:26:34 pm »

Well, if they won't talk to you, then you really had no choice.

The problem with civilian shipping and binary systems is that civilian ships won't use hyperdrives.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: June 19, 2011, 07:29:28 pm »

Gah, I can't figure out how to assemble Task Groups. I accidently assigned my test warships and my test geo-scanner ships to the same group, so I took the group apart and now I can't put it back together into 2 seperate groups!

EDIT: I found out how right after posting this  :P

Thanks anyway if somebody actually reads this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:31:17 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: June 19, 2011, 07:33:19 pm »

Two ways:

Get the ships to the exact same location and transfer the ships...

Or via the order screen (be sure to turn on Task Groups checkbox) select the target fleet and give the current fleet either the "Join" (the selected fleet goes to the target fleet and disbands, joining the target fleet) or the "Absorb" (the selected fleet goes to the target [?, never used it before] and disbands the target fleet, transferring all ships to the current fleet) commands. Boom, all together again.

Edit: >_>
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: June 19, 2011, 07:53:08 pm »

...What now? I finished the tutorial, Planet Scanner 1 is going out to Mercury to look for minerals, 2 is at the moon, doing the same, both the Gravity Scanners are out scanning random asteroids for gravity... I don't know what to do now.

Also: What does SP mean?

"Planet Scanner 2 (SP Needed: 169.13) 1785 km/s"

Edit: Woo, first mineral find! Phobos, Mars' moon, has 22 duranium, 6 tritanium and 2 corundium. All Acc 1, good if we hit some sort of shortage, like today's oil issues but apart from that I am never going to come close to Phobos.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:04:01 pm by Jacob/Lee »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: June 19, 2011, 08:17:34 pm »

...What now? I finished the tutorial, Planet Scanner 1 is going out to Mercury to look for minerals, 2 is at the moon, doing the same, both the Gravity Scanners are out scanning random asteroids for gravity... I don't know what to do now.
Your choice, the game is absolutely not linear.

SP=Survey Points. Each Geo-Grav sensor surveys some SP per hour.

Edit: Woo, first mineral find! Phobos, Mars' moon, has 22 duranium, 6 tritanium and 2 corundium. All Acc 1, good if we hit some sort of shortage, like today's oil issues but apart from that I am never going to come close to Phobos.
I hate to tell you, but...

That deposit is absolutely worthless. Don't even bother, you'd just be wasting gas. You would, at the absolute best, be able to squeeze a single part or two out of those things.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: June 19, 2011, 08:25:04 pm »

Your choice, the game is absolutely not linear.

SP=Survey Points. Each Geo-Grav sensor surveys some SP per hour.

I hate to tell you, but...

That deposit is absolutely worthless. Don't even bother, you'd just be wasting gas. You would, at the absolute best, be able to squeeze a single part or two out of those things.
Oh yes, of course it is absolutely worthless. I really doubt it, but I may reach this point where I need to dig there for minerals, which I sure hope not. Every mineral-bearing asteroid has a few thousand times more minerals than that rock.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: June 19, 2011, 08:32:23 pm »

Just letting you know, you're using grav sensors wrong. There are survey locations in the system that you send grav ships to, which try to locate distortions in gravity in the vicinity(or something like that).

The best way I've found to use "explorer" type ships is to go to task groups, special orders, and have their primary default orders either be scan nearest body(if its a geo), or scan nearest survery location(if its grav). You can also have geo ships scan planets, moons, or asteroids first using the same method, if you have a particular interest in one of those types of bodies.

The game, as said before, is pretty open ended. I just started getting into it finely, and I would suggest you find another mineral deposit, since Earth's starts running out quick. Best place to look first is Mars, since that is the only colonizable body on default settings in the Sol system. If not, any of the other bodies work if you transfer automated mines to them. Essentially, you want at least over 10k resources and an acc. of over 0.5 to put automated mines there, and over 50k resources with the same acc. to establish a colony. Otherwise its not worth the effort, and you're just burning fuel.

If there are no mineral deposits worthy of extraction, then turn you're attention outward. Survey, well, survey locations and send a ship with a JG engine(design it first) through a jump gate, or just build a JG construction ship using one of the modules, which can build a permanent JG. From there you can scan bodies and find suitable colonies or minerals.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: June 19, 2011, 08:44:21 pm »

The game, as said before, is pretty open ended. I just started getting into it finely, and I would suggest you find another mineral deposit, since Earth's starts running out quick. Best place to look first is Mars, since that is the only colonizable body on default settings in the Sol system.
Actually, Mercury can also be colonized (same gravity as Mars) with as little as about ~0.64 ATM of Anti-greenhouse gas and some oxygen, and tends to have half-decent minerals if I remember correctly. Mercury is a must-terraform Sol planet in my opinion. If not for the minerals, then for the location close to Earth and the population/wealth/trade bonus all planets provide.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: June 19, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »

Can someone give me a crash course on colonizing, say, Mars?

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: June 19, 2011, 08:54:36 pm »

Can anyone recommend a good resolution expander program so I can play the game? the link on the Aurora forums doesn't work
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 1347