Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809814 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4950 on: June 10, 2011, 03:25:50 am »

Questions about jump drives:
Is it correct that military jump ships can only take military non-jump ships with them
No.
(and commercial only other commercial ships)?
Yes.
Can smaller jump ships take bigger ships with them as long as the jump engine capacity is enough for the bigger ships or is it necessary that the jump ship is always bigger than the other ships?
The jump drive's capacity is the smaller of the ship the drive is attached to and the rated size.

I think you may jump a military ship with commercial engine and commercial jump drive (for example a commercial engine + commercial jump + grav sensor jumps just fine)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: June 10, 2011, 04:44:59 am »

Yes, what's matter isn't the type of ship, but the type of engine. I think the technobabble is that military engine, being more powerful, create more distortion in space-time and need speial jump drive.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4952 on: June 15, 2011, 02:46:03 am »

I just found out what happens when you dump 700,000 people on Venus without any infrastructure.

:o

-580% growth rate, and boy were they upset. I can't imagine why...

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: June 15, 2011, 04:35:39 am »

And this is what happens to political dissidents in the Venusian Prison Colony.

Dump a terraformer on the planet with them and let them know that in just 500 years, the planet will have a nice breathable atmosphere at the right temperature!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4954 on: June 15, 2011, 04:49:55 am »

Dump a terraformer on the planet with them and let them know that in just 500 years, the planet will have a nice breathable atmosphere at the right temperature!
The amusing thing is they still got the extremely low free infrastructure production that all populations have, so if I had continued to dump bodies on Venus faster than the death rate they'd have eventually constructed a livable environment.

I imagine haunted survivors eating dessicated human flesh to stay alive while frantically building a habitat out of scavenged space suits and drop pod panels.

It is glorious. This will be my new method of colonization forever.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: June 15, 2011, 05:32:11 am »

The amusing thing is they still got the extremely low free infrastructure production that all populations have, so if I had continued to dump bodies on Venus faster than the death rate they'd have eventually constructed a livable environment.

I imagine haunted survivors eating dessicated human flesh to stay alive while frantically building a habitat out of scavenged space suits and drop pod panels.

and you can send them materials with a mass driver. this may incentive them a bit more about building their own mass driver.

this way you can reduce the required colonization costs to just one factory (and millions bodies)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4956 on: June 15, 2011, 05:58:40 am »

and you can send them materials with a mass driver. this may incentive them a bit more about building their own mass driver.

this way you can reduce the required colonization costs to just one factory (and millions bodies)
You don't need a factory or materials. All populations slowly generate infrastructure on their own as a trade good. :)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: June 15, 2011, 07:56:49 am »

You don't need a factory or materials. All populations slowly generate infrastructure on their own as a trade good. :)
I've had problems to actually access this production, specially Terra's production of civilian infrastructure. Any idea of what I'm probably doing wrong?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: June 15, 2011, 08:04:01 am »

Hmm, I always found that once I started a colony (on, let's say, Mars) the people would demand infrastructure as a trade good.

My civ shipping line would pack up all the trade goods that were in demand (infrastructure) and just transport them over on their own.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4959 on: June 15, 2011, 11:25:04 am »

I've had problems to actually access this production, specially Terra's production of civilian infrastructure. Any idea of what I'm probably doing wrong?
The infrastructure is produced as a trade good and remains counted that way unless the population has a demand for the infrastructure. If the population (like Earth) has no immediate need for infrastructure then it stays in the trade good pool and will be traded out to other colonies by civilian shipping. Its all automatic, and they may not choose to do it for a while but it will happen. Once it reaches a colony that needs infra, it is converted to infrastructure on the planet.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:13 pm »

I just found out what happens when you dump 700,000 people on Venus without any infrastructure.

:o

-580% growth rate, and boy were they upset. I can't imagine why...

I don't even play this game, but sometimes I pop in to read the posts, and this made me chuckle.

I imagine my laptop will probably fail with running this game, for whatever reason.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: June 15, 2011, 03:11:29 pm »

I surmise that I know why your laptop will fail. :) :(
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: June 18, 2011, 11:43:34 pm »

I would rather not register over at the aurora forums, so can someone tell me how to get this not borked?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4963 on: June 18, 2011, 11:55:58 pm »

What were you doing when it happened? We need the context of the error.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:46 am »

I am not on a computer that is capable of handling the resolution needed for this game (1920 x 1080 resolution on my main FTW) so I am currently scumming the wiki. So far, it's pretty cool. I laughed at the ability to ram a package into a planet with catastrophic results if you deconstruct a recieving mass driver after a package is fired from the sender.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:00:29 am by Jacob/Lee »
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 1347