Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2809809 times)

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4935 on: June 04, 2011, 06:14:10 am »

I guessed that much...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4936 on: June 04, 2011, 06:49:03 am »

I guessed that much...
Well its the only thing you mentioned so far. If you have specific questions we'll happily help.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4937 on: June 05, 2011, 10:20:00 am »

I went deep inside my computer supplies and finally found a solution to my problem; I took the old screen of my brother, wich is bigger than mine but I forgot about it long ago. Thanks any for your help guys, it's good to know that you can always find support on Bay12.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4938 on: June 09, 2011, 09:10:26 am »

Ok, I got my game running now. After the initial shock due to the sucky interface I'm relieved that there's not actually that much to do and you get used to using the interface just like with DF.  :D

But still, I have questions now: Is there a way to remove the fleet names and orders from the system map? All the civilian ships really clutter the view after some time. The only option I found is to completely remove the fleets from the view but that's not what I want. Removing only the civilian ships would work though.
Also, is it possible to delete hull types in the design view? I can create new hulls but can't find an option to delete a hull type. There are just way too many hull options and I want to organise it better.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4939 on: June 09, 2011, 09:33:40 am »

Yup, you can in Display or Display 2.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4940 on: June 09, 2011, 09:43:20 am »

I couldn't find such an option. Completely removing all fleets is NOT what I want but the only close thing there I found.

Grunden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4941 on: June 09, 2011, 10:13:22 am »

Hard as it might be to believe, it is isn't in the most intuitive place.

It's under the sensor options tab, there's a checkbox to hide all civilian ships. You'll probably also end up turning off mass driver packets at some point for the same reason.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4942 on: June 09, 2011, 10:21:52 am »

Hehe, a more thorough search turned out that the setting I was looking for hides under the contacts tab (not sensors)! There are several options for the contact filter.

Next question:
Is there a place where I can modify the interupts which stop auto turns? More specifically I don't care if some nobody joined my army corps but this always stops the automatic turns.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:33:24 am by Kolbur »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4943 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:08 am »

Sadly, as far as I know that's hardcoded.

You can make it so those events don't show up on the log, but I think your turn will still be interupted by the events firing.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4944 on: June 09, 2011, 11:52:11 am »

If you are really bold you can set "minimum turns" to 50, check "auto turns", fire 30 day increments and leave your computer to process a few years without your guidance.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4945 on: June 09, 2011, 04:03:48 pm »

I've been thinking about running a multiplayer game of Aurora, with say, 4 people playing nations on Earth. I'm posting here to gauge interest, and lay out a feature of two that should make it interesting, if it gets off the ground.

The problem with Aurora multiplayer as I see it, is that even if you're mailing screenshots and such around, there's just a ton of times when someone might want to react to something the other players do. This makes things very slow unless you're playing at the same computer. To minimize this, I'll be implementing a fog of war. Players get to react to things detected in their capital system, but otherwise, I'm in command. What this means is I take orders and run with them. If the orders provide for something, I follow them, but otherwise have free reign to do whatever seems to be the logical thing from that fleet's eyes. Should make things interesting.

As part of the fog of war, I've decided to also have things not known to the players unless a ship that was in-system when events happened reaches Earth. If a fleet is wiped out to the last ship by precursors, I won't tell you. I'll just inform you it has missed its check in date, and is now MIA. Doesn't mean it's dead either. Could have encountered something and been crippled, forced to take an alternate jump path home, etc. Who knows? You don't till you find it, or its wreckage, if there is any, and send a ship home to tell you.

What does this all mean? It should leave players to decide strategy, R&D, stuff like that, while leaving the small stuff to me. Also, it presents some interesting options for backstabbing and general deviousness. As long as no witnesses survive, you get away with it.

Anyway, give a yell if you think it's an idea worth pursuing, or would be up for game like this. Also, questions. Questions are fun.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4946 on: June 10, 2011, 12:54:17 am »

Anyway, give a yell if you think it's an idea worth pursuing, or would be up for game like this. Also, questions. Questions are fun.
I'm so in.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4947 on: June 10, 2011, 02:43:29 am »

I'm in too.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4948 on: June 10, 2011, 03:06:02 am »

Questions about jump drives:
Is it correct that military jump ships can only take military non-jump ships with them (and commercial only other commercial ships)?
Can smaller jump ships take bigger ships with them as long as the jump engine capacity is enough for the bigger ships or is it necessary that the jump ship is always bigger than the other ships?

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4949 on: June 10, 2011, 03:12:33 am »

Questions about jump drives:
Is it correct that military jump ships can only take military non-jump ships with them
No.
(and commercial only other commercial ships)?
Yes.
Can smaller jump ships take bigger ships with them as long as the jump engine capacity is enough for the bigger ships or is it necessary that the jump ship is always bigger than the other ships?
The jump drive's capacity is the smaller of the ship the drive is attached to and the rated size.
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 1347