Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810207 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4785 on: May 11, 2011, 03:45:46 pm »

now, if you had to rank it between 1 and 10, how stupid would it be?
there MUST be something against having missiles as big as a small ship
I'd say 8 on the stupidity meter. Unless those missiles are godly fast or extremely well armored, they're going to be a waste of minerals.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4786 on: May 11, 2011, 04:01:34 pm »

8? good enough to try.

speed is 42K km/s, armor is 4. I guess that is too little... but in 3 years I should have another engine upgrade. and another ECM upgrade, that is good too.

And you haven't heard about my planned size 100 drone , which would have a range of billions of kilometers... mostly for planetary defense though. ( this one would release a swarm of smaller missiles... drones are slow.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: May 11, 2011, 04:10:15 pm »

ok, I was designing the engine, but I'm a bit lost on the design page.

I should see an engine project, but there are only power and propulsions and those don't generate a new engine, only engine parts. what I'm missing?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: May 11, 2011, 04:16:23 pm »

open the population and production screen, on the bottom there are some buttons to push. one of the is "design".
click it.
then on the top right of the new window, select engine, and design one. then click "create". this will create a project that you can research like any other tech

Hairywoodenleg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: May 11, 2011, 04:20:36 pm »

200+ warhead points

Sounds like an overkill unless you are fighting the space-HFS mothership or trying to split a planet.  :o
Most aliens in my games use small and medium ships with not nearly that much shields+armor, though I've never played a game long enough to get very high-tech stuff.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: May 11, 2011, 04:20:44 pm »

nice, thanks

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: May 11, 2011, 04:27:41 pm »

200+ warhead points

HFS

actually, that is exactly what I planned to do. there is a... HFS spawn in a nearby system, and I want to scout it. and after scouting it, annihilate everything as quickly as possible. I just thought that those super missiles would be able to destroy armor and shields easily enough... but I must admit I have never met an enemy with even semi decent point defense , so I may be underestimating them.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4792 on: May 11, 2011, 05:15:36 pm »

OK, Total newb at this, installed and updated to 5.42, following the tutorial, get to the part where I start designing sensor research, set sensor size to 2, select minimum resolution of 100 (2HS) - or anything else in that dropdown, and Aurora crashes with a runtime error 381, invalid property array index..... buh?

if I try it the other way round, (resolution, then sensor size), nothing changes in the proposed parameters and I don't get the specified 20m km sensors.

I've regged on the aurora forums, but waiting for admins to let me post, so you lot are my only hope.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: May 11, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »

oh god. four hours in the tutorial, and less than halfway, a page greeted me with

Before we begin, make sure you are in SM Mode. This is a long section so prepare yourself

I guess that the awesome stories that I've read there will make it worthwhile, because like now it's like an excel compilation training course.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: May 11, 2011, 06:42:45 pm »

200+ warhead points

HFS

actually, that is exactly what I planned to do. there is a... HFS spawn in a nearby system, and I want to scout it. and after scouting it, annihilate everything as quickly as possible. I just thought that those super missiles would be able to destroy armor and shields easily enough... but I must admit I have never met an enemy with even semi decent point defense , so I may be underestimating them.

Your missile is going to be detected from extremely far away by missiles standards. Expect it to be very easily destroyed by PD. It'll also be very expensive for a missile, and almost certainly overkill. Plus, the penetration returns for bigger warheads are diminishing, so, at 100 warhead, each missile penetrate 10 layer deep armor. At 400 warhead, 20 layer deep armor. And that is IF it can hit.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: May 11, 2011, 06:57:15 pm »

The formula for how many layers of armor will be penetrated is n=√(w)-1, where n is the number of layers penetrated, and w is the warhead strength. So, for instance, warhead strength 4 will penetrate a single layer of armor and cause one point of damage to the next. To penetrate 2 layers of armor, you'd need warhead strength 9. Three, 16. Four, 25, and so on.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: May 11, 2011, 08:03:59 pm »

oh god. four hours in the tutorial, and less than halfway, a page greeted me with

Before we begin, make sure you are in SM Mode. This is a long section so prepare yourself

I guess that the awesome stories that I've read there will make it worthwhile, because like now it's like an excel compilation training course.

It sounds scarier than it is.  And when you're done, you'll have tons of equipment for ships.  Plus, you can easily flip between the wiki and the game, so it's not as bad as most programs.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: May 11, 2011, 08:37:10 pm »

Is there any way to stop the game from cutting time increments short due to NPR fighting?

EDIT: Also, is it possible to upgrade older ships to newer designs (like if I take out the old nuclear engines from my freighter design and slap in some new ion drives), or are the older ships doomed to be forever obsolete?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:13:03 pm by Vorbicon »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: May 11, 2011, 09:24:51 pm »

You can refit ships at shipyards. Move them into orbit over a planet with a shipyard big enough to service the ship, then go into the F2 screen, go to Shipyard Tasks, click the shipyard, down at the bottom click Refit in the drop down menu, and then select what ship you want to refit, and what you want to refit it to, and there you go.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:35 pm »

Thank you kindly!

EDIT: Ugh. Unfortunately, doing this creates a weird error where it says it will take the ship 0 days to refit, creates an Overflow error pop-up every time I try to increment time.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:42:27 pm by Vorbicon »
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 1347