Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810728 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4620 on: April 23, 2011, 03:59:38 am »

I think they also trade between colonies too, no?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: April 23, 2011, 04:01:48 am »

Also, remember Geosurvey teams. Even if there's nothing at generation, you can still get some minerals with Geosurvey teams.

I think they also trade between colonies too, no?
Yes. But only the most profitable routes. So don't expect any cargo ships to be trading from non-Sol colonies. They'll usually just go back and fourth between Earth and Mars...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: April 23, 2011, 04:24:50 am »

Started again with this, and despite meeting one NPR and what appears to be the swarm, my major headache is the mineral crash on Earth.  It has happened much earlier than last time, so presumably I SM'd the first ships as the tutorial.

Between mineral shortages and lack of wealth, my shipyards are opperating below capacity.  With some judicious mining colonies I am inching forward.

I am getting friendly with the NPR, which is prudent since I haven't found their homeworld, but they've found me.  We have begun the creation of Jump Point Defense Base ships, "Dreadnought" class, armed with Plasma Carronades, from some first line of defence, and getting into training etc.  Going to have to have fast reactions for this duty!

I need to do some research into what all the different skills do, and how the different taskforce and sector roles influence activity.

We have colonies on Mars and Titan, principally for economic reasons, although we are building Terraformers to tug to Mars, then eventually neighbouring systems with any luck.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: April 23, 2011, 08:34:21 am »

Indeed, all it does is control how the stars are generated. The planets themselves are 100% random still.

Supposedly planet size (thus gas giants, chunks, &c), temperature, and orbital distance depend on the star's class.  So it's possible that Real Stars gives a lower chance for inhabitable planets.

Correct. With real stars, the vast majority of stuff you're going to find within 50LY or so are class M, usually dwarfs. And the bulk of planets in orbit around those are going to be frozen rocks, with the occasional N2-NH4 atmos thrown in. You will occasionally find N2-O2 worlds very close to their primary, but even then they're going to be ice worlds until you get some terraforming laid down. One of my favorite things to do is use Real Stars and generate a few dozen systems until I find a nice low-gravity, low-temperature, thin atmosphere world, then generate a new species and empire from there. Because I'll have lots of similar worlds to colonize in a Real Stars settings.

Without Real Stars turned on, the systems are totally random, and you wind up with these BII supergiant trinary monstrosities where it's 100AU+ just to get from one jump point to another. Or nebula systems that restrict your top speed down to a crawl. Can be strategically interesting, but a PITA to explore until you get your propulsion and armor techs up.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: April 23, 2011, 12:19:33 pm »

I tried again, with real stars. Not only did I find an alien race two jumps from Sol, they are also impossible to communicate with. They also have a stable wormhole in their system, so that's a self-correcting problem. I may be in for some fun, though.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: April 23, 2011, 01:06:11 pm »

I simply cannot get sorium harvesting to operate automatically. Using the conditional orders, it refuses to return to the gas giant. Using manual tankers to carry the stuff back it kinda does work, but it spams me endlessly with "refueling could not be completed".

Does anyone know how or should I just give up trying to do it?
I'll cheatyface the hell out of a new game later tonight and do some testing. Will post here if I come up with a solution.
You can do this, but not with conditional orders. For some reason they don't work right.

1. Make sure your sorium harvesters are set as tankers and they have nice fat fuel tanks. Leave your sorium harvesters at the gas giant to gather fuel.
2. Make some normal tankers of whatever size, also set as tankers in the ship design screen.
3. Set the tankers to refuel from whatever colony you want the fuel to be dumped on, and then to "unload 90% of fuel to colony" so that they have only 10% of their fuel loads left.
4. Set the tankers to refuel from your harvester taskgroup.
5. Set the tanker taskgroup to cycle its moves.

It will continually move to the colony, refuel, drop 90% of fuel, then move to the harvesters and take all of their fuel they've harvested, then move back to the planet...

Tested with jupiter as the harvesting base and earth as the drop off point.
Yes. I tried this. Like I said, it spams me with "refueling could not be completed" messages even though it works.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: April 23, 2011, 01:08:17 pm »

I'm starting a new game. Conventional start, SpaceMaster-created home system. After a bunch of attempts I finally created a 0.0 cost planet in a system with lots of gas giants and moons, two of which have 2.00 costs. The story is that humans got kicked to the curb by an alien race, and this is their last, hidden colony. They regressed a bunch (starting year: 4000), but are now forging forward once more, hoping to become more powerful this time.

My biggest problem right now is that the homeworld is running out of minerals. Early geosurvey efforts have been...disappointing. On the rare instances that my ships actually find something, the total of everything on the body usually comes to less than 1,000. Even the superjovians are soriumless.
I'm in a quandry here. I have a single geo and a single grav survey ship. Most of my minerals are going towards expanding my shipbuilding capacity, since a conventional start only gives you a single tiny navel yard. My biggest commercial shipyard turns out to not be big enough, and I'm tacking on another 10,000 tons capacity so I can finally build a freighter. My grav ship has found a few jump points, but I do not have a tender yet since I haven't done any jump research.

Should I concentrate on exploring other systems? Should I create a few geo teams to do a more complete comb-over? Or should I use SM to generate more minerals? I'd rather not do the last option, but I'm not totally averse to it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: April 23, 2011, 01:11:49 pm »

Why don't you both? You can easily explore other systems while putting geosurvey teams on everything.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: April 23, 2011, 01:23:10 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
No Jennifer, don't abandon me!

(60% bonus for defense systems, 30 max labs, named Jennifer Price just retired from old age at 72)

That's gonna delay some of my plans.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: April 23, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »

(60% bonus for defense systems, 30 max labs, named Jennifer Price just retired from old age at 72)

RAAAGE!

My scientists spend their entire career actively researching and get at most 3-4 upgrades (upgrade = +5% bonus OR +5 max labs).

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: April 23, 2011, 01:39:22 pm »

RAAAGE!

My scientists spend their entire career actively researching and get at most 3-4 upgrades (upgrade = +5% bonus OR +5 max labs).
She started around +30%, 15 labs, and upgraded like crazy. She was my best scientists, and the only one to get that awesome. The rest are more normal, topping +30% bonus, 15-30 labs only two upgraded over that (+45% sensors, 15 labs, and +35% power and propulsion, 25 labs).

On a related note, I've found that the best way to get good scientists is to make lots of military academies and wait until you luck out.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:46:26 pm by Felius »
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: April 23, 2011, 01:44:56 pm »

I had one REALLY high ranked scientist (started off with 25 labs)

However that scientist had absolutely no bonuses.

I really hate (REALLY REALLY hate) the fact that they don't show a scientists bonuses when you select them... You have to go to an entirely different window to do that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:46:59 pm by Neonivek »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: April 23, 2011, 02:25:22 pm »

Aurora works on the snowball effect.  Lousy people stay lousy, good people level up FAST.
Same with shipyard expansion and a few other things, as well.

I usually put my best survey people into a primary team, the one tasked with searching for minerals on inhabitable planets.
Then, if minerals are in short supply, I'll create a second survey team with the top people that were not good enough for the first team.  They get dumped on useless asteroids, as they need to level up on something, and the asteroids are already useless, so they can't really ruin things.  Furthermore, if a system has asteroids, it tends to have a ton of them.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: April 23, 2011, 08:01:42 pm »

I had a 65% bonus Construction/Production scientist once. That one got a few useful projects completed like a few more levels of "+to research" in a self-enforcing cycle.

Now days I usually keep best personnel in each research category working on 1-lab half-dummy projects with decades-long completion time just to keep them progressing while I concentrate all the rest laboratories on 1-2 really urgent projects. A decade or two later with this tactic bonuses like 45% and 50% are not uncommon.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: April 23, 2011, 08:12:15 pm »

Why don't you both? You can easily explore other systems while putting geosurvey teams on everything.
That might work. Part of the problem is the mentioned lack of ships and rapid depletion of resources. If the geosurvey teams do their jobs, I can start setting up automated mines and mass drivers that  will actually turn a profit. On the other hand, if nothing comes up at all, then I'll have to hoard resources even more carefully. Is it possible to actually get stuck in your starting system, if you don't get a jump tender/jump gate built before resources run out?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 1347