Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810731 times)

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4605 on: April 22, 2011, 07:50:07 pm »

In my current game (furthest I have played so far), I have visited 46 systems, surveyed 12, and haven't encountered any aliens yet. I did find jump gates in some systems though that I didn't build, and a few wrecks in others. Is this normal, or is my game messed up? I did get three error boxes during game generation.
Sometimes this just happens.  It's very random, as there are 1000 systems in the default starting setup, and only one starting NPR. However, there's also a chance that each inhabitable world will spawn a civilisation, so even if the starting alien race has vanished, you can still find new playthings.  And that's not counting the precursors, swarm and invaders, which (if you've got them turned on) might be anywhere. It's unusual to not find anything in 50 systems, but it's not at all an indication that you've broken something.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: April 22, 2011, 10:56:31 pm »

Does anyone know how to use prefabricated ship components?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: April 22, 2011, 10:58:39 pm »

They're automatically used while your ship is being built, I think.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4608 on: April 22, 2011, 11:04:03 pm »

They're automatically used while your ship is being built, I think.
Indeed. IIRC The instant you queue a ship for construction in a shipyard the usable components should be removed from your stockpile.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: April 22, 2011, 11:12:09 pm »

In my current game (furthest I have played so far), I have visited 46 systems, surveyed 12, and haven't encountered any aliens yet. I did find jump gates in some systems though that I didn't build, and a few wrecks in others. Is this normal, or is my game messed up? I did get three error boxes during game generation.
Sometimes this just happens.  It's very random, as there are 1000 systems in the default starting setup, and only one starting NPR. However, there's also a chance that each inhabitable world will spawn a civilisation, so even if the starting alien race has vanished, you can still find new playthings.  And that's not counting the precursors, swarm and invaders, which (if you've got them turned on) might be anywhere. It's unusual to not find anything in 50 systems, but it's not at all an indication that you've broken something.

I'm guessing Rask is playing with "Real Systems" on.  In reality, there are far less inhabitable worlds than if the game randomly generates each system.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: April 22, 2011, 11:14:57 pm »

Real systems just controls the star names and maybe masses though, doesn't it? The probability of planets forming is still random.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: April 22, 2011, 11:25:28 pm »

I simply cannot get sorium harvesting to operate automatically. Using the conditional orders, it refuses to return to the gas giant. Using manual tankers to carry the stuff back it kinda does work, but it spams me endlessly with "refueling could not be completed".

Does anyone know how or should I just give up trying to do it?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4612 on: April 22, 2011, 11:28:41 pm »

I simply cannot get sorium harvesting to operate automatically. Using the conditional orders, it refuses to return to the gas giant. Using manual tankers to carry the stuff back it kinda does work, but it spams me endlessly with "refueling could not be completed".

I'll cheatyface the hell out of a new game later tonight and do some testing. Will post here if I come up with a solution.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:58 pm »

Real systems just controls the star names and maybe masses though, doesn't it? The probability of planets forming is still random.
Indeed, all it does is control how the stars are generated. The planets themselves are 100% random still.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: April 23, 2011, 01:17:14 am »

Indeed, all it does is control how the stars are generated. The planets themselves are 100% random still.

Supposedly planet size (thus gas giants, chunks, &c), temperature, and orbital distance depend on the star's class.  So it's possible that Real Stars gives a lower chance for inhabitable planets.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4615 on: April 23, 2011, 03:35:50 am »

I'll cheatyface the hell out of a new game later tonight and do some testing. Will post here if I come up with a solution.
You can do this, but not with conditional orders. For some reason they don't work right.

1. Make sure your sorium harvesters are set as tankers and they have nice fat fuel tanks. Leave your sorium harvesters at the gas giant to gather fuel.
2. Make some normal tankers of whatever size, also set as tankers in the ship design screen.
3. Set the tankers to refuel from whatever colony you want the fuel to be dumped on, and then to "unload 90% of fuel to colony" so that they have only 10% of their fuel loads left.
4. Set the tankers to refuel from your harvester taskgroup.
5. Set the tanker taskgroup to cycle its moves.

It will continually move to the colony, refuel, drop 90% of fuel, then move to the harvesters and take all of their fuel they've harvested, then move back to the planet...

Tested with jupiter as the harvesting base and earth as the drop off point.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: April 23, 2011, 03:42:27 am »

Ah, thanks. I suppose I might also have missed some while passing through, my sensor tech isn't that great. Perhaps I should try again with a higher spawn rate and real systems off.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: April 23, 2011, 03:43:14 am »

God it sucks when mars doesn't have any minerals.... Now that I think about it. Why would you make a colony without minerals on it in the first place?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4618 on: April 23, 2011, 03:45:29 am »

God it sucks when mars doesn't have any minerals.... Now that I think about it. Why would you make a colony without minerals on it in the first place?
Roleplaying, wealth generating, population growth, expansion of the civilian shipping sector, and just because?

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: April 23, 2011, 03:54:38 am »

It gives the enemy another target to shoot at than just your poor homeworld.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 1347