Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810824 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4590 on: April 21, 2011, 04:14:43 am »

not sure if that is possible.
but I think you could just let your harvesters stay there, and get a cargo fleet to bring the fuel back home.

edit: well, a tanker fleet.

anyway, how can I know if the aliens I meet are precursors?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:18:22 am by andrea »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: April 21, 2011, 04:32:48 am »

anyway, how can I know if the aliens I meet are precursors?
1: They have random ships, PDCs, and mines everywhere. Check to see if there's habitable planets, then check to see if the planet is habitable for an NPR via the tooltip from hovering over "NPR Generation Chance" in Game Info. If the planet is near those conditions but not quite, chances are those are precursors.
2: Establishing communication is extremely difficult. You'll very likely fail.
3: They usually have high tech compared to you depending on how early you start the game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: April 21, 2011, 04:53:51 am »

so, that thermal signature 5 colony on a chunk sized planet might have been a precursor outpost after all... either that or a mining colony, but those generate more heat usually.

such a pity that I had to destroy it because Instead of attacking it, I gave them my ground units. well, at least now I know how to invade planets.

but I still doubt they were precursors... no ruin on those planets
(by the way, how do I see if a planet has ruins? I may have missed them when  my ships surveyed the planets)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: April 21, 2011, 05:32:49 am »

Does anyone know how to automate sorium harvesters to actually return to a gas giant after dropping off their loads? I tried using the conditional order "unload fuel at colony and move to sorium gas giant" but the harvesters never actually return to the sorium gas giant.
There is a 'repeat' checkbox under the task group orders somewhere, so you can set it to go to the gas giant, harvest, unload at the colony and then set it to repeat.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: April 21, 2011, 11:54:08 am »

Does anyone know how to automate sorium harvesters to actually return to a gas giant after dropping off their loads? I tried using the conditional order "unload fuel at colony and move to sorium gas giant" but the harvesters never actually return to the sorium gas giant.
There is a 'repeat' checkbox under the task group orders somewhere, so you can set it to go to the gas giant, harvest, unload at the colony and then set it to repeat.
How though? I can't get the delay function to work properly.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: April 21, 2011, 01:21:57 pm »

(by the way, how do I see if a planet has ruins? I may have missed them when  my ships surveyed the planets)
Make sure your ships have geosurveyed them, then it should be in the Populations section of System Info (F9).
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: April 21, 2011, 10:17:24 pm »

I believe one of the Conditional Orders is "If fuel above 90%" or something.  You might be able to hack something up with that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4597 on: April 21, 2011, 10:21:41 pm »

I believe one of the Conditional Orders is "If fuel above 90%" or something.  You might be able to hack something up with that.
Can't you just have them dump the fuel on the planet and have tankers carry it away?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: April 21, 2011, 11:06:43 pm »

Ok I allied myself with this AI, and now he has 2 task groups of military units (or what i assume to be military) hovering around my mercury and earth colonies..... Allied units won't attack me right?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: April 21, 2011, 11:28:41 pm »

They shouldn't, so long as you do nothing to anger them.  Note that diplomacy in Aurora is simple enough that A's interactions with B seem to be independent of either's interactions with C, so you needn't worry about attacking one of their allies.  Keep a decent diplomacy team on them and don't attack them.

IIRC in a previous campaign I was able to colonize an allied AI's worlds (so we each had colonies on the same planets) without provoking aggression.  However, I know my race had high Diplomacy (or whatever) and they may have had low Xenophobia, so that probably helped quite a bit.

One warning:  Be sure that they have allied with you.  All treaties are one-way.  Each race has its own "diplomacy score" with every other race, so you may be able to flag them as allies without them flagging you as allies.  They may be neutral toward you, which means lingering in or colonizing their systems might still anger them (a problem which AFAIK disappears once they're happy enough to ally with you).
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:33:11 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: April 21, 2011, 11:33:14 pm »

Good, because they are freaking me out. More and more keep on coming out of the jump gate.

Anyone got a good design for a ship that can keep eyes on all jump points for a cheap price? Maybe a missile ship that shoots sensor buoys?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: April 21, 2011, 11:34:20 pm »

By the way, don't forget the usual implied disclaimer:  I may well be wrong, so assume I'm pulling everything out of my ass until proven otherwise.  :P

Anyone got a good design for a ship that can keep eyes on all jump points for a cheap price? Maybe a missile ship that shoots sensor buoys?

If you don't mind some clutter on the Population screen, set up some listening posts.  Create colonies on asteroids/moons/whatever with nothing but Deep Space Tracking Stations.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:36:17 pm by Earthquake Damage »

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: April 22, 2011, 06:17:26 am »

Good, because they are freaking me out. More and more keep on coming out of the jump gate.

best close range weaponery, dosent need to be fast, dosent need to have large sensor range etc.

Weaponery mounted in turrets? who knows you have a few seconds after they jump in before they get thier sensors and stuff back up.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4603 on: April 22, 2011, 06:31:07 am »

In my current game (furthest I have played so far), I have visited 46 systems, surveyed 12, and haven't encountered any aliens yet. I did find jump gates in some systems though that I didn't build, and a few wrecks in others. Is this normal, or is my game messed up? I did get three error boxes during game generation.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: April 22, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »

The 5 second increments are back, I am rage quitting.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1347