Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810900 times)

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4560 on: April 19, 2011, 08:26:05 am »

I met some ships, going at 10'000km/s, which active sensors show to be 1000 tons. and they fire rather big salvos of missiles ( warhead power 5).. what kind of tech do I need to create such a ship? It is way beyond my actual tech level...

Probably not as far out of your reach as you might think - they were almost certainly gunboats. They use Fast Attack Craft Engines, which are about as powerful as two normal military engines, only weigh as much as one, and are 10x more fuel inefficient. Anyway, the important thing is that since they pack so much thrust into such a small space, you can get really fast ships with them. Just playing around in the ship designer, it looks like you can get that kind of speed from an Internal Confinement Fusion Drive. An Ion Engine would have you going 6,000, Magneto-Plasma would be 8,000.

The missile launchers were probably 33% or 25% size, which lets you pack a bunch in a ship, but drastically increases reload time (50x or 100x, respectively)
Or box launchers that are 15% of the size, but can only reload at a hangar or at orbit of a planet with maintenance facilities. Very useful for fighters and other parasites, as you can fit an obscene amount of missiles in a small fighter.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: April 19, 2011, 08:31:10 am »

Interesting to know... may have to design some myself. not good for extended campaigns maybe, but if they get in range they should be deadly.
Thanks for the information!

now, lets try to destroy the same class ship that appeared in another system... I think they may have not taken kindly me destroying one of their colonies. Do aliens hold grudges?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: April 19, 2011, 08:54:45 am »

Do Ursans poop on Silicoids?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: April 19, 2011, 01:13:24 pm »

If you have a warhead of .55 instead of one, do you think it will it round up and still damage one full block of armor?

Also, what does a commercial spaceport do? Do they boost the civilian economy or something?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:29:06 pm by Micro102 »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: April 19, 2011, 01:51:08 pm »

I finally managed to design some semi-functional warships, but I found a very basic design flaw: I can't use point defense.
how do I do it? I try to assign a point defense mode to a fire control, but for some reason when I move to another ship and then I select the first ship again, the point defense mode is back to "none". what are the requirements to assign a fire control to point defense mode?

There's a little button next to the point defense mode selection; I think it says "apply" or somesuch. You have to click that.

If you have a warhead of .55 instead of one, do you think it will it round up and still damage one full block of armor?
No

Also, what does a commercial spaceport do?
It's only effect is to decrease loading/unloading times. That's for freight, troops, and colonists. They're only moderately useful.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:18 pm »

It is called set mode, and yes, I clicked it.

oh well... I guess I'll just have to expand the shipyards. and increase armor, create long range missiles and so on.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: April 19, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »

Interesting to know... may have to design some myself. not good for extended campaigns maybe, but if they get in range they should be deadly.

now, lets try to destroy the same class ship that appeared in another system... I think they may have not taken kindly me destroying one of their colonies. Do aliens hold grudges?

I seem to have trouble targeting contacts and ordering my ships to attack them.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: April 19, 2011, 04:34:58 pm »

I seem to have trouble targeting contacts and ordering my ships to attack them.
Get in range, go to the Combat Assignments window, select the ship, make sure all the Fire Controls are set up then select the fire control, select the target contact in the Assign Contact as Target, select assign, then select the red button labeled "Open Fire" for the selected fire control, or the one for the entire fleet if you want to.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: April 19, 2011, 04:56:35 pm »

be careful: just because you can see a thermal contact it doesn't mean you can target it. I think it has to be within active sensor range.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: April 19, 2011, 05:45:16 pm »

Quick related question. How can I tell my warships to get within (and attempt to stay within) a certain range of enemy ships? My first encounter had my corvettes rushing into ramming range because I could only tell them to move to the contact. Thankfully, my ships survived unscathed, but I need more flexibility, especially if different ships have different firing ranges.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: April 19, 2011, 06:46:19 pm »

Quick related question. How can I tell my warships to get within (and attempt to stay within) a certain range of enemy ships? My first encounter had my corvettes rushing into ramming range because I could only tell them to move to the contact. Thankfully, my ships survived unscathed, but I need more flexibility, especially if different ships have different firing ranges.
When you do the move command, you can set the Min distance to be.
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: April 19, 2011, 07:04:43 pm »

When you do the move command, you can set the Min distance to be.
Ummm...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not seeing it. I'm patched up and I installed correctly...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: April 19, 2011, 08:58:07 pm »

That's because it's Follow, not Move to.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4573 on: April 19, 2011, 08:58:59 pm »

By the way, what does "Extended Orbit" do?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: April 19, 2011, 09:01:29 pm »

That's because it's Follow, not Move to.
Doesn't show up on follow, either. Or does it only work on hostiles?

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 1347