Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2810952 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4530 on: April 16, 2011, 09:43:22 pm »

No, it's the ship that you're putting it on. And if you're using it to squadron travel, than everyone has to be the same size or smaller than the jump drive ship.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4531 on: April 16, 2011, 09:44:32 pm »

Excellent, thank you. I'll need to up my jump drive efficiency a bit then.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #4532 on: April 17, 2011, 06:58:24 pm »

Quick question on organizing TG's:

I have multiple mining ships under the "Mining" TG. However, I don't want them all going to the same asteroid and doing the same job, I'd rather they all go do the same orders individually but still be grouped under the "Mining" TG so I can issue conditional orders, etc.

Is there any way to accomplish this independent yet connected idea? I tried splitting the TG but that just makes another TG for the second ship.

Thanks!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: April 17, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »

I have multiple mining ships under the "Mining" TG. However, I don't want them all going to the same asteroid and doing the same job, I'd rather they all go do the same orders individually but still be grouped under the "Mining" TG so I can issue conditional orders, etc.

Is there any way to accomplish this independent yet connected idea? I tried splitting the TG but that just makes another TG for the second ship.

Thanks!
Not possible. You have to split them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4534 on: April 17, 2011, 07:02:54 pm »

Thanks!
No, each TG can have only one set of orders. You can make them all subordinate to one TG and copy orders/conditional orders down to them though so you don't have to set them each up. Or you could make them their own taskforce.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: April 17, 2011, 09:20:35 pm »

So you know that fleet I sent to kill all those aliens?

Yeah they blew up. But I figured out two neat things: Put active sensors on your missiles if you don't want them to blow up after your ships get decimated. Also, speed is probably better than strength in my case.

I'm fighting a technologically superior enemy, even when my ships double theirs in size they blast the shit out of me. Any tips so I can maek war better?
Yeah yeah yeah!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4536 on: April 17, 2011, 09:27:28 pm »

So you know that fleet I sent to kill all those aliens?

Yeah they blew up. But I figured out two neat things: Put active sensors on your missiles if you don't want them to blow up after your ships get decimated. Also, speed is probably better than strength in my case.

I'm fighting a technologically superior enemy, even when my ships double theirs in size they blast the shit out of me. Any tips so I can maek war better?
What weapons did they use? How fast were their ships, and generally what size?

You can redesign your ships to counter theirs, using their ship size and speed to calibrate your next generation of sensors, fire control and missiles. Also at what range did they begin shooting? If you can outrange and outrun them, you can win.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: April 17, 2011, 09:43:44 pm »

Their ships were pretty, from 6k tons to about 8k. They moved about 5000 km/s and they used missiles from at least 35m kilometers away. They didn't have any missile defenses but their missiles were about twice as fast as mine. They don't have shields as far as I'm aware either. My sensors didn't pick up the missiles until they were about 2 seconds away.

Also, what's a good sized missile? I'm aiming at size three but four is starting to look more balanced..
Yeah yeah yeah!

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: April 17, 2011, 10:01:35 pm »

Also, what's a good sized missile? I'm aiming at size three but four is starting to look more balanced..

I like size 3 - it's a good compromise between cost/firing speed/warhead size.

That said, I've often looked at size 4, probably with two points put into warhead size.

As a side note: you probably know this, but remember that you don't need to enter integers for any of the fields - usually you can skimp on fuel for engines or manuvers for a better hit% without giving up too much range.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: April 17, 2011, 10:03:32 pm »

The enemy you fought were probably the precursors. Don't try to get faster than then, you won't be able to, not at the beginning of the game at least. I generally put my anti ship missiles big, as in size 12, but others might disagree with it. For not seeing the missiles, you probably don't have any resolution 1 active search sensors, so make some. They probably have some PD as well, so try to fire lots of missiles. You have a few options for getting in range: Sneaking in with active sensors off, relying on thermal and passive until getting in range (and hoping they don't detect you), getting some anti missile defenses (anti missile missiles or PD), or out ranging them, so you get few volleys without they being able to fire back until they close in.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4540 on: April 18, 2011, 12:02:01 am »

Their ships were pretty, from 6k tons to about 8k. They moved about 5000 km/s and they used missiles from at least 35m kilometers away. They didn't have any missile defenses but their missiles were about twice as fast as mine. They don't have shields as far as I'm aware either. My sensors didn't pick up the missiles until they were about 2 seconds away.

Good, so you can tune your active sensors to focus on ships of size 8000 or so, and add in a missile sensor which is the smallest resolution option "50 tons (1 HS)". If you remember what size the missiles were you could tune the missile sensor to detect them as well.

You don't need to be as fast as them but now you know what speed their ships will be moving, so you can make sure all of your beam weapons can hit a target going 5000kps. If you remember their missile's speed you can tune PD systems to shoot them down more efficiently as well.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4541 on: April 18, 2011, 12:38:34 am »

Here's what I came up with so far, for point defense.

Code: [Select]
12cm C4 Near Ultraviolet Laser Emitter

Damage Output 4     Rate of Fire: 5 seconds     Range Modifier: 3
Max Range 120,000 km     Laser Size: 4 HS    Laser HTK: 2
Power Requirement: 4    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 4
Cost: 24    Crew: 40
Materials Required: 4.8x Duranium  4.8x Boronide  14.4x Corundium

Development Cost for Project: 240RP

Code: [Select]
Twin 12cm C4 Near Ultraviolet Laser Turret

Damage Output 4x2      Rate of Fire: 5 seconds     Range Modifier: 3
Max Range 120,000 km    Turret Size: 11    Armour: 0    Turret HTK: 4
Power Requirement: 8    Power Recharge per 5 Secs: 8
Cost: 63    Crew: 80
Maximum Tracking Speed: 15000km/s
Materials Required: 24.6x Duranium  9.6x Corbomite  28.8x Corundium

Development Cost for Project: 630RP

The weapon's capability outstrips the fire control, but I can increase that later on with a quick refit if I need to.

Also: What exactly does Damage Control/Improved Damage Control do?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:56:46 am by forsaken1111 »

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: April 18, 2011, 01:33:30 am »

The precursors and aliens in general target the the ships with the sensors right? So if you armored it up, gave it a fantastic sensor, and honed its weaponry to PD, would it attract all the alien missiles despite there being other much faster ships on passive sensors?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: April 18, 2011, 01:55:38 am »

Self explanatory. It helps your Damage Control, which is: When your ships get hit and their components damaged/destroyed, you can have Damage Control teams work on fixing/replacing them from the Damage Control tab of the Ships window. But note that doing so requires maintenance supplies, so bring plenty.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4544 on: April 18, 2011, 02:03:49 am »

Self explanatory. It helps your Damage Control, which is: When your ships get hit and their components damaged/destroyed, you can have Damage Control teams work on fixing/replacing them from the Damage Control tab of the Ships window. But note that doing so requires maintenance supplies, so bring plenty.
That... doesn't explain anything at all. Does it make them more efficient, or just make them work faster? Do they normally have a failure chance, which this alleviates somewhat?
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 1347