Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811043 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4500 on: April 15, 2011, 08:51:16 am »

Yup, they are. You can very cheaply refit them to fire Size-24 TN missiles, so they make good defensive PDCs.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: April 15, 2011, 03:34:18 pm »

Does active sensors work as passive sensors when turned off?
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: April 15, 2011, 03:43:54 pm »

Does active sensors work as passive sensors when turned off?
No, active sensors do nothing when turned off. You need thermal and EM passive sensors.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #4503 on: April 15, 2011, 06:17:30 pm »

Anyone have a situation where the game only increments at 5 second intervals? I was going along fine doing 30 days or so since its a new start, I tried to queue up three ships on my shipyard (it has three slipways?) and then the game started only doing 5, 15, 30 second, then like 1 day, then back to 5 seconds for the last while now. No matter what button I hit, it's only going 5 seconds ahead.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4504 on: April 15, 2011, 06:20:26 pm »

That likely means NPRs are fighting each other, or an NPR ran across some precursors. It shouldn't last too long either way.

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #4505 on: April 15, 2011, 06:22:07 pm »

Ah thanks, I won't give up and ragequit then!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4506 on: April 15, 2011, 06:24:31 pm »

If it does last a long time, try using spacemaster mode and just deleting the system or something.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: April 15, 2011, 06:54:19 pm »

If it does last a long time, try using spacemaster mode and just deleting the system or something.
You can't see NPRs without modifying the database, even with space master mode.

@Tobel, you should check the automatic turns box and then advance a 5 day increment. It'll take longer to process than usual, but it'll save you from clicking a bunch of times.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4508 on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:40 pm »

Yeah but can't you see their events and figure out which system the fighting is in that way?

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #4509 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:54 pm »

Thanks Karlito,

Right around that time I read about how you can set how many turns to force when you do auto turns.

This game was very daunting at first but once you just get in and start playing around it's fairly intuitive. One thing I'm not 100% sure on is the teams.

If I make a geological survey team on Earth from the teams area, do I need to do anything else to "activate" them? Or will they just start doing additional surveying?

----

Just got my answer:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:49:36 pm by Tobel »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: April 15, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »

Oh well. Just park them on the moon or some other close planet. Just as good.

Anyway, I suggest you don't train Geosurvey teams on earth anymore, since the chance of the survey being "complete" is higher with an unskilled team. Train them on the moon or some other body.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4511 on: April 15, 2011, 09:51:20 pm »

I train mine on all of the civilian mining colonies that crop up.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: April 16, 2011, 12:23:40 am »

You can also train them in your geo- or grav- survey ships, although I think that's a generally slower process then just sending them to all the planet-sized objects you can find (for reasons that I don't understand, asteroids and comets can occasionally take a _lot_ longer to survey - like on the order of years - instead of the couple of weeks that planets take.)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: April 16, 2011, 12:51:37 am »

Anyway, I suggest you don't train Geosurvey teams on earth anymore, since the chance of the survey being "complete" is higher with an unskilled team. Train them on the moon or some other body.

This is the one thing I can't stand about the game.  The amount of resources present on a world is based purely on the first team to survey it.  It's not like a crummy scanner vaporizes big hunks of rock.

Hell, it almost makes it a good strategy to send unskilled surveyors out to deny NPRs resources.  "Oh, better not mine here, the humans came by and said there's nothing in the planet."
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: April 16, 2011, 12:54:10 am »

You can also train them in your geo- or grav- survey ships, although I think that's a generally slower process then just sending them to all the planet-sized objects you can find (for reasons that I don't understand, asteroids and comets can occasionally take a _lot_ longer to survey - like on the order of years - instead of the couple of weeks that planets take.)

No, that shouldn't ever happen. Did your ships have a senor malfunction?
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1347