Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811328 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4410 on: April 14, 2011, 12:03:42 am »

I feel like this conversation is going to an unhealthy place so let's change the subject. Anyone have a particular ship they're proud of? I know I'd like to get a look at what the more experienced players have floating around in space.

I have a bunch. All posted here on the wiki. :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4411 on: April 14, 2011, 12:04:21 am »

I am trying to see if tons and tons of small ships to shred biggers ships is possible... but I have a feeling they are extemely cost ineffective.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4412 on: April 14, 2011, 12:08:12 am »

I am trying to see if tons and tons of small ships to shred biggers ships is possible... but I have a feeling they are extemely cost ineffective.

It's probably cost-ineffective, yes, but it's what the Star Swarm does. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: April 14, 2011, 12:08:59 am »

Is it viable to do tons of small ships anyhow?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4414 on: April 14, 2011, 12:14:43 am »

Is it viable to do tons of small ships anyhow?
Fighters loaded with beam weapons or box launcher missiles are fairly effective from what I've heard. If you mean swarms of larger ships, like 1000 ton gunships, I haven't tried that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4415 on: April 14, 2011, 12:38:26 am »

I've grown fond of using plasma carronades, mostly because I suck at designing missiles  :P

They are short-ranged and take a while to recharge, but they are easily the most powerful energy weapons. I like to use them as the main guns, while using meson or gauss as more conventional weapons.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4416 on: April 14, 2011, 12:44:56 am »

Would anyone have any tips to share on designing a good laser point defense system? What kind of tolerances do you engineer towards? (target speed, tracking speed, etc)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: April 14, 2011, 12:50:54 am »

I'd say tracking speed, especially if you place them on a turret so they can track faster. Missiles can move very quickly, after all.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4418 on: April 14, 2011, 12:59:04 am »

I'd say tracking speed, especially if you place them on a turret so they can track faster. Missiles can move very quickly, after all.
What I mean is WHAT tracking speed? What speed do you engineer the system to track at? 15k? 20k?

At what range do you engage incoming missiles? Do you use infrared lasers and engaged them close to the ship or use higher tech lasers to shoot at them further out?

Basically, how do you engineer a good laser PD system. I'm looking for tips because I'm working on one for my game.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: April 14, 2011, 01:40:39 am »

What I mean is WHAT tracking speed? What speed do you engineer the system to track at? 15k? 20k?

At what range do you engage incoming missiles? Do you use infrared lasers and engaged them close to the ship or use higher tech lasers to shoot at them further out?

Basically, how do you engineer a good laser PD system. I'm looking for tips because I'm working on one for my game.
While I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the higher the tracking speed, the better. There's no way to tell how fast enemy missiles will be before they start shooting at you, so having a middle-of-the-road speed (say, 15,000kmps) should work until you get a better idea. Faster = more expensive, so if the enemy shoots big, lumbering missiles at you, go cheaper.
Farther range gives you more time to track and engage the missiles, which can be helpful considering how fast they generally move. A fire control only effective to around 10,000km won't do you much good if the missiles move faster than that.

For beam-based PD, I usually go with mesons. They go through armor and shielding to deal direct damage to the missile.

Here's some example technologies, using mid-range tech levels:

Fire Control:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The actual cannon:
and finally, the turret:

I hope that something here helps  :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4420 on: April 14, 2011, 02:06:43 am »

Very helpful actually, thank you. My tech isn't nearly that advanced but I should be able to engineer something similar. Still getting my head wrapped around the distances involved here.

For example, that fire control is 50% accurate out to a range of 7.5 times the diameter of Earth.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: April 14, 2011, 02:53:54 am »

Actually there is a flaw in your turret. It need 8 power per 5 second, but recharge 20, meaning it is more expensive (bad) and that it'll draw 20 power from your powerplant (badder), meaning you'll also need bigger, more expensive power plants.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: April 14, 2011, 02:56:48 am »

I am confused.

So the Turret draws more energy from the power plant then it uses?

Is it due to poor design or inefficiant power conversion?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: April 14, 2011, 02:59:52 am »

Here, poor design: he's drawing 20 power from the power plant into the turrets' capacitor, while only using 8. I guess the other 20 just get dispersed as heat or something.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4424 on: April 14, 2011, 05:49:11 am »

No, it means that he can shoot twice in those 5 seconds. Whether the remaining 4 power adds up and becomes 24, allowing for 3 shots in 5 seconds (5 shots every 10 seconds), I don't know.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 1347