Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811382 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4395 on: April 13, 2011, 11:06:25 pm »

I wonder... can you have cargo ships in the same task group as the salvagers and have the cargo ships load the salvaged components and materials? I'll have to test that.
I'm pretty sure it will work, having tried it myself a long time ago.

PPE: GAH NINJA I HATE YOU ALSTAR

No advertizing. It's not nice.

Not even "This guide was brought to you by bay12"?
Only if the guide was 100-90% Bay12 made. And even then it's still kinda bad. Credits to individual members is okay.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4396 on: April 13, 2011, 11:08:06 pm »

At most put your username at the bottom for attribution, and you could put in your user page that you're from bay12. Even so, its still tacky and unnecessary.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: April 13, 2011, 11:11:18 pm »

At most put your username at the bottom for attribution, and you could put in your user page that you're from bay12. Even so, its still tacky and unnecessary.
Think of it this way: how would you feel if the DF wiki was replaced and every article had "brought to you by Valve" at the bottom?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: April 13, 2011, 11:11:31 pm »

Wait wait wait... are you saying he actually destroyed the salvage!?! *Blinks*

Aurora defies the laws of conservation!?!
Aurora is a game. Games violate the laws of conservation all the time. How else do you think Mario can hurl fireballs for no reason? Harry Potter can make things float by waving a piece of wood at them.

I don't get why you're so surprised. He salvaged a wreck but had nowhere to store the stuff so it was ejected and lost, no longer in a nice convenient wreck.

Yes but this is Aurora. It is supposed to be beyond it.

It is supposed to be the reason why you put up with the interface, steep learning curve, and extemely slow gameplay.

This is like playing a Mario game and finding out Princess Peach had a child with bowser... ohh wait... that actually happened. uhhh...

This is like playing Bomberman and finding out he is a high tech space marine in SPACE! ohh wait... that also happened

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: April 13, 2011, 11:16:22 pm »

Wait wait wait... are you saying he actually destroyed the salvage!?! *Blinks*

Aurora defies the laws of conservation!?!
Aurora is a game. Games violate the laws of conservation all the time. How else do you think Mario can hurl fireballs for no reason? Harry Potter can make things float by waving a piece of wood at them.

I don't get why you're so surprised. He salvaged a wreck but had nowhere to store the stuff so it was ejected and lost, no longer in a nice convenient wreck.

Yes but this is Aurora. It is supposed to be beyond it.

It is supposed to be the reason why you put up with the interface, steep learning curve, and extemely slow gameplay.

This is like playing a Mario game and finding out Princess Peach had a child with bowser... ohh wait... that actually happened. uhhh...

This is like playing Bomberman and finding out he is a high tech space marine in SPACE! ohh wait... that also happened
Yes, but FPSs with realistic physics and bullet drop still have regenerating health and crappy stealth mechanics. All games abstract things to one extent or another.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: April 13, 2011, 11:18:12 pm »

Think of it this way: how would you feel if the DF wiki was replaced and every article had "brought to you by Valve" at the bottom?
I wouldn't care?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: April 13, 2011, 11:18:21 pm »

Yeah but no "You cannot salvage this" message? No "The salvage stays until you salvage it"?

I expect more from Aurora. That is the sort of stuff that a cruddy space sim would do.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4402 on: April 13, 2011, 11:29:05 pm »

Steve isn't all-knowing. He's done a fantastic job but he can't account for every possibility. If you don't bring enough cargo to haul off the salvage, it is lost in space as random junk which will eventually achieve a stable orbit or fall on a planet. Aurora is great but there are still many abstractions in the game. If you're so worried about this salvage thing, why don't you ask how a crew of 1500 can stay out on a ship for 90 years without supplies or dying of old age?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: April 13, 2011, 11:30:32 pm »

why don't you ask how a crew of 1500 can stay out on a ship for 90 years without supplies or dying of old age?

Generational ship, genetic modification, cryogenic suspension, age prolonging devices, they are all actually robots.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: April 13, 2011, 11:30:48 pm »

Yeah but no "You cannot salvage this" message? No "The salvage stays until you salvage it"?

I expect more from Aurora. That is the sort of stuff that a cruddy space sim would do.

I suspect Steve didn't think of that and hasn't run into it in his own games because he knows what he expects the player to do, being the designer and all.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: April 13, 2011, 11:38:21 pm »

I suspect Steve didn't think of that and hasn't run into it in his own games because he knows what he expects the player to do, being the designer and all.

Yes, and the only developer, at that. He's done a stupendous job so far.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: April 13, 2011, 11:47:47 pm »

Yes, he better get on that then.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4407 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:19 pm »

why don't you ask how a crew of 1500 can stay out on a ship for 90 years without supplies or dying of old age?

Generational ship, genetic modification, cryogenic suspension, age prolonging devices, they are all actually robots.
If you can come up with all of that justification for something blatantly abstracted far beyond 'the salvage goes poof' why do you balk at the salvage issue? It's a game, and a free game at that. Its not like he's being paid to do this.

Yes, he better get on that then.
Why, exactly, should he 'get on that'?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: April 13, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »

Why, exactly, should he 'get on that'?

Because I am EVIL... why else?

Actually more specifically I am just saying that as a deflection to "creator excuse".

Its not like he's being paid to do this. Its free too

Such as that!

I didn't say the game was BAD, I said I expected a bit more from Aurora and that they probably should get on that.

Games can have flaws goodness... and we are allowed to dislike flaws.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: April 14, 2011, 12:02:11 am »

I feel like this conversation is going to an unhealthy place so let's change the subject. Anyone have a particular ship they're proud of? I know I'd like to get a look at what the more experienced players have floating around in space.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1347