Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811773 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4275 on: April 11, 2011, 12:34:29 am »

Mercury and Mars are really easy to terraform, but you could literally terraform 100 barren planets to being just like earth before you terraform Venus.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4276 on: April 11, 2011, 12:35:57 am »

Mercury and Mars are really easy to terraform, but you could literally terraform 100 barren planets to being just like earth before you terraform Venus.
And that is why we must terraform venus.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4277 on: April 11, 2011, 12:43:45 am »

I've done it before, it just takes a lot of effort.

I just built terraforming ships repeatedly for years and put them at venus, while researching improved terraforming. I had so many terraforming ships by the time I was done I was able to fully terraform planets to earthlike conditions (1.0 atmosphere) with that terraforming fleet in like a month.

Then I got wiped out by the wormhole aliens since I didn't have good weapons tech. Heh heh...
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: April 11, 2011, 12:45:01 am »

Planets with low gravity can never be perfectly teraformed right? because planets need to be within certain gravity threshholds.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: April 11, 2011, 12:46:10 am »

Planets with low gravity can never be perfectly teraformed right? because planets need to be within certain gravity threshholds.
Indeed. Same as high-G planets. You need genetic modification in order to live on them, but remember that only goes so far.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: April 11, 2011, 12:54:48 am »

Indeed. Same as high-G planets. You need genetic modification in order to live on them, but remember that only goes so far.

From what I understand you benefit more from never touching genetic modification then you ever do from doing it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: April 11, 2011, 12:58:07 am »

Depends. Some of them are useless, some are useful sometimes.

Lower temperature and increased temperature variation are useful for getting on those cold planets that are just out of your reach.
Higher temperature is useless.
Increased gravity or decreased gravity may be worth it if you want to settle on a low-G planet or a high-G planet.
Oxygen level is utterly useless.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: April 11, 2011, 12:59:54 am »

Yeah but apperantly having extra races around causes problems.

So much so that people here suggested somehow turning your new race into the master race.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: April 11, 2011, 01:02:01 am »

If the amount of people in that race is less than 5% of your total population, then yes, it does present problems: Unrest for that race.

Otherwise, nothing else is wrong with them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: April 11, 2011, 01:04:01 am »

If the amount of people in that race is less than 5% of your total population, then yes, it does present problems: Unrest for that race.

Otherwise, nothing else is wrong with them.

I wish I could just cart them all to the planets I need.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: April 11, 2011, 04:19:42 am »

I disagree on oxygen levels being useless.  Creating a race that needs less oxygen than standard humans means less time before they can breath the atmosphere, so it has limited use, especially on planets that need temperature adjusted first.

However, note that time spent researching bioresearch is time not spend researching weapons and other stuff.  So it that case, it can be rather lame.

I wouldn't waste time on bioresearch without scientists specializing in it, really.  If you get a scientist will zero skill but specializing in bioresearch, I'd give them a single lab and some bioresearch, in hopes their skill would improve. 

If you get a scientist with a research bonus and a specialization in bioresearch, they should balance their time between bioresearch and other miscellaneous tech.  Balance their research lab amount so they are always finishing bioresearch exactly when you need them to research designed technologies.

However, this is based upon my assumption that a scientist can never change their specialty, they can only have one specialty, and they can only increase their research bonus by assignment to research in their specialty.  If I'm wrong, then I'd suggest differently.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4286 on: April 11, 2011, 04:23:27 am »

From what I've read, if you have a scientist NOT researching his specialty you're missing out on a lot. Their bonus is multiplied by 4 within their specialty and only applies as a flat bonus for other fields.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: April 11, 2011, 07:42:37 am »

I disagree on oxygen levels being useless.  Creating a race that needs less oxygen than standard humans means less time before they can breath the atmosphere, so it has limited use, especially on planets that need temperature adjusted first.
Relative to the amount of temperature adjustment oxygen requirements are not that big a deal, 0.1 atmos is achievable in fairly short order with 30-40 'formers. So a percentile reduction in oxygen requirements is hardly a big deal to begin with, and when you have to go through the whole labourious process of genetic modification for all the colonists, it's essentially bleh.  Gravity adjustment is useful, though, as there are often quite nice, mineral rich worlds that are a little too heavy for humans, which makes them completely uncolonisable.  If you want to establish a significant mining colony there it can be cheaper to send GM mineworkers and normal mines rather than automines. Only if it's a significant colony, though, otherwise just use orbital habitats if you need population. I personally don't bother with genetics research, but with a really juicy world just outside of human habitable gravity (but otherwise terraformable) I might.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: April 11, 2011, 08:02:24 am »

Dozens of small terraforming vessels? Nonsense. Build a good few terraforming stations. They're the wave of the future.

Genesis class Terraformer    1,506,050 tons     10250 Crew     27005 BP      TCS 30121  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-1170     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 11 MSP    Max Repair 500 MSP
Habitation Capacity 50,000   
Terraformer: 50 module(s) producing 0.175 atm per annum

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:00 am »

They do seem a bit cheaty. Can you put a commander in one of those?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1347