Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2811952 times)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4200 on: April 08, 2011, 01:55:01 am »

Your reactor is producing more power than your weapons can use, your AMM sensor should be enough for your CIWS, and your search sensor is enough for JP defense role. Be sure to do some taskforce training though, you know the drill.;)

Got a similar design in my current game, designed to provide some cheap beam-based firepower for my early missile-based fleet, and do JP control duty in near future:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: April 08, 2011, 03:56:22 pm »

@ JWNoctis: Yeah, not sure what I was thinking with the reactor  ???
I might have been planning to stick a second carronade on there. Or maybe I just screwed up the calculations  :P

Oh well, I haven't even found any (living) aliens yet. Hopefully I'll have an enhanced design by the time I actually get into a fight. I know I'll need better capacitors to charge the guns faster, and preferably some turreted rail/gauss guns to deal with smaller and faster threats. Faster engines are definetly a plus.

Unrelated question: I know that energy weapons (except meson) cannot fire into or out of an atmosphere. Since rail and gauss guns are kinetic weapons, can they be used? I like the idea of raining hypervelocity death on enemy planets.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: April 08, 2011, 04:18:54 pm »

@ JWNoctis: Yeah, not sure what I was thinking with the reactor  ???
I might have been planning to stick a second carronade on there. Or maybe I just screwed up the calculations  :P

Oh well, I haven't even found any (living) aliens yet. Hopefully I'll have an enhanced design by the time I actually get into a fight. I know I'll need better capacitors to charge the guns faster, and preferably some turreted rail/gauss guns to deal with smaller and faster threats. Faster engines are definetly a plus.

Unrelated question: I know that energy weapons (except meson) cannot fire into or out of an atmosphere. Since rail and gauss guns are kinetic weapons, can they be used? I like the idea of raining hypervelocity death on enemy planets.
Nope, they can't get through atmosphere. The only weapons that can are Mesons and missiles.

Think about it this way: A round is traveling through the atmosphere akin to an asteroid. It's going to burn up before it hits the ground.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: April 08, 2011, 04:21:57 pm »

I know that energy weapons (except meson) cannot fire into or out of an atmosphere

Interesting. Though it sounds more life a flaw.

I could understand shooting out of an atmosphere because you could super heat the air and basically melt the gun. Shooting into however is a bit unusual... I could understand it losing energy but outright negation is odd.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: April 08, 2011, 04:26:46 pm »

Actually, weapons can fire through atmosphere. It's just that when the atmosphere is nearly as thick as the earth's atmosphere the damage is lessened so much that it becomes worthless.

Quote from: Hawkeye
Lasers (and Particle Beams, for that matter) work for planetary bombardement, but their damage is reduced by the atmosphere (Actual Damage = Weapons Damage x  (1 - Atmosphere Density), rounded down.
Example: A laser dealing 4 pts of damage  will only do 2 pts of damage to a ground target through a 0.5 atmosphere (4 x 0.5 = 2), if the atmosphere would be 0.6, it would only do 1 pt of damage (4 x 0.4 = 1.6, rounded down to 1) This also means, atmospheres of 1.0+ make lasers/Particle Beams useless.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: April 08, 2011, 04:41:21 pm »

What about non-laser weapons?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: April 08, 2011, 04:51:42 pm »

@ Tarran: But asteroids and meteors don't always burn up. Indeed, they can cause catastrophic damage, way more than most nukes. Besides, lots of sci-fi stories use kinetic weapons for orbital bombardment, or at least have the option.

Since I hate dealing with missiles, I guess my only options for effective planetary defense are meson-equiped PDCs or orbital ships.
Earth will be special however. Since I have no plans to terraform Luna, the lack of atmosphere means that I can stick just about any weapon on specially designed PDCs. Luna will be a massive, un-blow-up-able fortress.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: April 08, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »

What about non-laser weapons?
Nope, they can't get through atmosphere. The only weapons that can are Mesons and missiles.

Think about it this way: A round is traveling through the atmosphere akin to an asteroid. It's going to burn up before it hits the ground.

@ Tarran: But asteroids and meteors don't always burn up. Indeed, they can cause catastrophic damage, way more than most nukes. Besides, lots of sci-fi stories use kinetic weapons for orbital bombardment, or at least have the option.
Those are the really big ones, though. Small ones burn up in atmosphere. Imagine a double sized battleship firing down towards earth. The round isn't gigantic. It burns up.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: April 08, 2011, 05:03:13 pm »

I think it depends on the angle a round enters the atmosphere. While the space shuttle isn't traveling at relativistic speeds, it has to re-enter in the right fashion or get torn apart/bounced into deep space. I'm guessing  a solid hunk of metal would function the same way.

The discussion is moot however, as my dreams of hypervelocity death will have to wait for a different game :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4209 on: April 08, 2011, 05:15:26 pm »

I'll check the material total when I get home but it took several years to build and even longer to tow from Earth to Mars with a small fleet of 45 tugs. Now 5 million people happily live in orbit around Mars which is my secondary shipyard and research complex
As promised:

Code: [Select]
Argentina class Orbital Habitat    25,924,700 tons     14345 Crew     50542.2 BP      TCS 518494  TH 0  EM 0
1 km/s     Armour 1-7802     Shields 0-0     Sensors 6/6/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
Maint Capacity 1 MSP    Max Repair 500 MSP
Habitation Capacity 5,000,000   
Terraformer: 25 module(s) producing 0.03 atm per annum
Maintenance Modules: 50 module(s) capable of supporting ships of 10000 tons

Active Search Sensor MR7-R100 (1)     GPS 1200     Range 7.2m km    Resolution 100
Thermal Sensor TH1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km
EM Detection Sensor EM1-6 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  6m km

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes
This design is classed as an Orbital Habitat for construction purposes

As for materials, it uses:

23163.8 Duranium
5975.4 Neutronium
5 Corbomite
11250 Boronide
10130 Mercassium
18 Uridium

I slapped terraformers on there so that once Mars is habitable without infrastructure I can just tow the thing to its next destination, probably venus or titan, and have it start terraforming there while also offering lots of habitable space.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 05:17:12 pm by forsaken1111 »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: April 08, 2011, 08:20:06 pm »

The discussion is moot however, as my dreams of hypervelocity death will have to wait for a different game :)

If you want to simulate massive kinetic bombardments, you can get a mass driver and some minerals on a nearby asteroid or something, and then send the minerals to an empty colony on the target planet with the mass driver. If the target doesn't have a mass driver to receive the packet it'll crash into the planet and cause catastrophic damage.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4211 on: April 08, 2011, 08:54:47 pm »

Or just use missiles with 0 endurance (bombs) and pretend they're rocks. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: April 08, 2011, 09:01:26 pm »

Is it possible to have armored missles that do their damage by ramming?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4213 on: April 08, 2011, 09:10:56 pm »

Is it possible to have armored missles that do their damage by ramming?
I don't think so, but there is a tech to decrease explosive damage and increase radiation fallout which could simulate a kinetic strike. Dust and debris in the atmosphere, etc. I agree with you that it would be nice to just strap some engines on an asteroid and ram that sucker into earth uh... alpha centauri III or just fire massive chunks of iron at enemy cities.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: April 08, 2011, 10:21:34 pm »

Those are the really big ones, though. Small ones burn up in atmosphere. Imagine a double sized battleship firing down towards earth. The round isn't gigantic. It burns up.

I can understand energy beams/particles dissipating due to the atmosphere's resistance. However, that makes a lot less sense for kinetic projectiles. There's at least one serious real life concept, and the presence of kinetic bombardment in many hard science fiction stories is enough evidence that it's at least scientifically plausible.

Off the top of my head, a kinetic projectile used in orbital bombardment would be a solid, aerodynamic, dense metal slug coated in a heat-resistant material, and would only take a moment to lance through the atmosphere. The average meteorite, on the other hand, is just a chunk of rock.

Maybe really thick atmospheres (3+ atm) would impair the performance of kinetic ordnance. However, such friction in general should be a lot less of a problem for them than it is for largely immaterial energy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:24:50 pm by Greenbane »
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 1347