Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812697 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4080 on: April 02, 2011, 02:27:53 pm »

Hmmm. Can you see the ships appearing in the task group? Do they appear on the ships(F6) screen as well?

Yep to both.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: April 02, 2011, 03:48:49 pm »

Can you see where they are on your system maps? Maybe they're being overhauled/refitted or something?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: April 02, 2011, 07:02:01 pm »

Can you see where they are on your system maps? Maybe they're being overhauled/refitted or something?

Nope. They just came out of the slipways, haven't even suffered a maintenance failure or anything. And unless there's a button or checkbox I'm missing, they aren't appearing on my system map. (That is to say, it zooms on the position of the fleet.)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: April 02, 2011, 09:34:18 pm »

After finding a second race of NPRs who also did not want to communicate, I decided to go into SM mode and SM communications between us to see what actually happens when it works. Apparently, they are the Precursors. I now regret this decision, I hope it doesn't mess anything up, like causing the Precursors to become my eternal, loving friends or something, however interesting that might be. Do precursor wrecks appear randomly or will those have been an NPR fighting with them?

The only NPRs you won't be able to establish communications with are the precursor etc ones.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: April 02, 2011, 09:35:23 pm »

Some day in the long long long long long long long long long long long long long long future I'll be able to play this game competently.

To ephasise long, I typed them all individually.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:52 pm »

Some day in the long long long long long long long long long long long long long long future I'll be able to play this game competently.

Distant, not long.

The future isn't an object. It can't be long. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: April 02, 2011, 11:48:12 pm »

The only NPRs you won't be able to establish communications with are the precursor etc ones.

If you roll poorly, you can fail communication with average, everyday NPRs.  I've certainly done it before - it basically means you're doomed to be at war with them, since everything is only 20% effective with them and you get a hefty negative modifier to your relations when they fail.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: April 03, 2011, 12:16:30 am »

I suck at Aurora combat. :(
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: April 03, 2011, 02:38:05 am »

I don't really get why PDCs surrender as easily as the population does (or why the population surrenders so quickly at all.) I mean, come on, 100 anti-ship missiles didn't even penetrate more than 10% of 120 layers of collapsium armor. I not sure if CIWS also follow the same rules as gauss weapons when it comes to atmosphere, though.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: April 03, 2011, 02:42:41 am »

But explosion still send dust and radiation in the athmosphere. So each missile itting your PDC transfer into thousands of deads and millions of cancers.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: April 03, 2011, 03:02:25 am »

I don't know the surrender mechanics, but it should never happen while a credible defense remains.  If there is a PPV comparison (you'll have to ask Steve), then you can try building a dummy PDC next time.  Build a PDC with nothing but low-tech size 100 missile launchers.  Weapons (and maybe a few other combat systems, but mainly weapons) are all that matter for PPV, and 100 HS launchers are huge and cheap for their size.  This helps satisfy a (non-capitol) population's protection needs, too.  For unrest purposes they only have to be in the same system, not the same planet.  This may be true for surrender, too.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: April 03, 2011, 03:08:55 am »

Thanks for the advice, but I remember the main PDC had 16 high-tech 100HS launchers, 32 1HS AM launchers, 16 25HS launchers, and 64 5HS launchers. It was mostly my fault the missiles hit, though. I accidentally messed up the missile FC assignments and PD settings.  :D

I might ask Steve next time it happens.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: April 03, 2011, 03:06:02 pm »

Solved my problem. Apparently, when building ships, if the task group is not orbiting the same planet, it'll freeze until the ships are built.

My fleet is working fine now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:23 pm »

Distant, not long.

In Aurora it is.

I grab a big bunch of future.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4094 on: April 03, 2011, 03:54:25 pm »

Distant, not long.

A pause isn't an object but it can be long. A rather long pause is common, especially after inappropriate jokes.
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 1347