Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2812816 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #4005 on: March 30, 2011, 02:01:28 pm »

Years of Dwarf Fortress does that to a man.

Anyway I went to the Population and Productions menu -> Manage Shipyards tab to try and make some freighters. I go down to the third menu (Create Task), I set the task type to Construction and click 'New Class', but that dropdown is blank, meaning I apparently can't build anything. I know for a fact I have plenty of ship designs ready, but apparently I can't build anything.

And yes, I've tried it with both Commercial and Naval shipyards  :-\
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4006 on: March 30, 2011, 02:02:27 pm »

Years of Dwarf Fortress does that to a man.

Anyway I went to the Population and Productions menu -> Manage Shipyards tab to try and make some freighters. I go down to the third menu (Create Task), I set the task type to Construction and click 'New Class', but that dropdown is blank, meaning I apparently can't build anything. I know for a fact I have plenty of ship designs ready, but apparently I can't build anything.

And yes, I've tried it with both Commercial and Naval shipyards  :-\
You will have to make sure your shipyard is big enough to build the ship first, then you will need to retool it for the freighter's class

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: March 30, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »

Indeed. Without proper Task Force Training, warships will act uncoordinatedly and suffer delays in the execution of their orders when in the face of the enemy.

Thank god it was only a scout-ship then. I've got my (two, undershiped) fleets doing task training now, in the hopes that they won't suck as horribly when the aliens actually attack.

Be advised, though. Task force training only helps coordination. Crew ratings (the other percentage column next to TF training) are what determine how well the men and women of the ships actually perform. It increases much more slowly, however. Like TF training, though, it improves according to the task force commander's Crew Training Rating and that of the given vessel's captain.

You can boost the starting rating of crewmen in Empires -> View Race Details. In the upper left corner of this window, there's a value called Training Level, which is 1 by default. That means 1000 crewmen graduate from each military academy annually, with 100 starting grade points, which translates to the standard 0% (average) crew rating. Graduates get 100 points per Training Level (which can be set to a maximum of 5). In my current game, I have configured my race's level to 4, and 400 grade points mean a 10% starting crew rating. A warning, however: the amount of annual graduates is divided by the Training Level (at 4, you would get 250 per academy per year), and raising it, no matter how many steps, halves your pool of available crewmen. You can check how large your pool is on the Teams / Academy tab of any given population.

On the other hand, to preserve potentially skilled graduates, you can tick the Conscript Only box on a given design (say, a commercial vessel). This option has ships of that class employ conscript crew and thus leave the standard crewman pool untouched. While your supply of conscripts is unlimited, the downside is that said ships enter service with a default crew rating of -10%.

PS: If you lower your race's training level, the rating of the pool of crewmen obviously changes, but its size remains unchanged. And before I forget, this whole mechanic I just explained is completely unrelated to named officers. It doesn't affect their quality nor volume of training.

Ah, enlightening. One question then. Where exactly can I find Crew ratings? Right now, I'm seeing Task Force Training in the Task Groups menu (F12).

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: March 30, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »

3201 is something to do with NPRs making designs with tech that they don't have or something. I've had it a few times, but I've been able to press OK until it stopped popping up, can you do that?

I clicked ok 200 times and it still didn't go away I ended up having to shut my computer off.
You know there's a such thing as Ctrl+Alt+Delete, right?

Ah, enlightening. One question then. Where exactly can I find Crew ratings? Right now, I'm seeing Task Force Training in the Task Groups menu (F12).
I'm pretty sure it's in the Task Groups window, top right, second-to-last value of a ship, called Grade Bonus.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4009 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:06 pm »

Is it possible to make effective bombers that can take out or cripple/damage bigger ships such as destroyers, cruisers etc. ?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: March 30, 2011, 04:11:04 pm »

It's possible to create fighters armed with missiles that have high-yield warheads.

"Effective" however is hard to answer.  I'd say fighters in Aurora more resemble torpedo boats if you're thinking WW 2 style.

Note that many modern aircraft use missiles instead of bombs, so Aurora fighters are more like modern bombers.

I was thinking of designing such fighters myself, and would also be interested in the opinion of others.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: March 30, 2011, 04:31:44 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's in the Task Groups window, top right, second-to-last value of a ship, called Grade Bonus.

Ah, thanks once more.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: March 30, 2011, 04:49:30 pm »

I clicked ok 200 times and it still didn't go away I ended up having to shut my computer off.
[/quote]

Ctrl-Shift-Escape works even better.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: March 30, 2011, 05:32:54 pm »

It's possible to create fighters armed with missiles that have high-yield warheads.

"Effective" however is hard to answer.  I'd say fighters in Aurora more resemble torpedo boats if you're thinking WW 2 style.

Note that many modern aircraft use missiles instead of bombs, so Aurora fighters are more like modern bombers.

I was thinking of designing such fighters myself, and would also be interested in the opinion of others.

Fighters can be a good choice, especially if you have a technology disadvantage, since they are hard to detect and their speed allows them to close on ships with better engines. I can usually fit about twice as many box launchers on 4 250-ton fighters than I can on a single 1000-ton gunboat. You'll probably want to make a dedicated sensor fighter that leads a group of missile fighters since trying to cram every system on a single fighter design will make them expensive and slow. A fighter and carrier based fleet is of course, a pretty significant investment, as you probably won't be building much else.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: March 30, 2011, 05:34:46 pm »

3201 is something to do with NPRs making designs with tech that they don't have or something. I've had it a few times, but I've been able to press OK until it stopped popping up, can you do that?

I knew that ....................

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: March 30, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »

Didn't he fix the resolution thing?

He "fixed" it to some extent with the Reduced Height Windows mode, which makes the game's minimum resolution 1280x800 instead of 1280x1024. But if your resolution is either ancient 1024x768 or the amusing 1366x768, you're still moderately screwed.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: March 30, 2011, 11:28:49 pm »

For some reason whenever I try to advance time the game only advances by like 5 seconds or one day if I'm lucky. :(
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: March 30, 2011, 11:38:27 pm »

When I install a patch do I replace everything or just Aurora.exe ?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: March 30, 2011, 11:44:13 pm »

Everything.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: March 30, 2011, 11:46:35 pm »

Everything.

Ok I fiqured that out and finnally got the error to go away but now I have to get it to run. Is there a problem with it running on windows 7
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 1347