Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813143 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3840 on: March 18, 2011, 12:21:56 pm »

Missles with a warhead rating that is a square number still have the best penetration/weight ratio, however.
Yeah, I was merely stating that everything that says they waste their points when they aren't square are wrong, as per the man himself.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: March 18, 2011, 03:10:11 pm »

Not perfect missile penetration patterns become especially not an issue when their main job is to overwhelm shields.

In general - you either penetrate armor on first hit or eat through about half of total armor before inflicting damage. In the later case better penetration depth slightly helps but it's effectiveness is drastically reduced relative to the first case.

If you know your opponent's armor thickness - 1 or 2 penetration more than it can be tactically sound. If you don't have reasons to believe that you know against what you will be fighting - more small missiles win because of larger salvos and lower average PD interception. [Unless those are armored missiles, but the general consensus seems to be that they are always bad choice.]

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: March 19, 2011, 09:33:34 am »

So, a new game in the new version. First off, I'm going to have to say - developing your own weapon systems from scratch is hard (last game I was hit with the bug that gave you the wormhole alien weapon tech from the start of the game, and since it was my first time playing, I didn't realize this for quite some time.) But I'm having fun - ran into a lot more NPRs this time around, including a pre-tech one that I landed troops on and took over. Of course, less than 5 years after we took them over, a wormhole appeared in-system, and they were reduced to atoms.

On the plus side, an NPR who I'd accidentally pissed off (people get so touchy when you try to salvage wrecks orbiting their homeworld!) also ran into the wormhole aliens, and not only did I have the pleasure of watching their worlds blasted into dust, I also got to run my espionage shuttle (tiny 1,500 ton ship that goes 10,666 km/s) around their system, picking up all the life pods from their home fleet, interrogating several thousand crewmembers and getting some nifty info out of it.

Not sure if there's any real point to this story other than "the wormhole aliens scare me," and "I'm enjoying the new version."

edit: Ok, that wormhole fleet that ran over the NPR? Yeah, they followed the opened jump points, and 8 ships just jumped into the Sol system. Note to self: laser-based weapons sound good, but getting the targeting computer tech high enough that you can actually use them beyond knife-fight range takes forever. Next game, get missile tech ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:50:57 am by AlStar »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: March 19, 2011, 09:08:28 pm »

Yeah, I chickened out and left the Invaders out of my current game, though I can enable them without restarting. I might, eventually. They sound very much like the Antarans of Master of Orion II, only worse!

By the way, I made a flag of my own for my Solar League. Feel free to ENLIST! and use it in your games. Alternatively, here's a simpler prototype.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:15:21 pm by Greenbane »

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: March 23, 2011, 01:29:12 pm »

Trying to download the v5.30 patch so I can download the other ones that follow, but neither the v5.20 or 30 download links work. :( Are there any other alternatives?

EDIT: 5.4 works fine, why didn't I see it earlier?!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:40:14 pm by Duelmaster409 »
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: March 23, 2011, 05:17:32 pm »

I got excited when I saw the latest version would be compatible with smaller screen.  But it's not compatable with my screen...sigh.

Actually, I was happily wrong.  It turns out that the player needs to enable "shorten height windows" under game parameters in order to play the game on laptops.  I'm finally playing this epic game!  Yay!

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: March 23, 2011, 05:27:18 pm »

Haha, I'm just doing all of this cool research and I don't know how to do anything with it, like establishing a mining platform or building ships.

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: March 23, 2011, 05:48:13 pm »

Hi I'm going to try and install this game on my netbook.

How do i get my installation up - to -date. I can't seem to find this info. Is using the 491 installer and applying patch 540 all I need to do?

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: March 23, 2011, 05:56:49 pm »

Hi! Here's the process I went through to get my game up-to-date!

1) Download and install the game (follow instructions thoroughly or you'll have problems with your installation) here.

2) Download and install the v5.4 patch.

3) Download and install the current v5.42 patch.

EDIT: Can anyone please explain how I would go about performing a research project? For some reason clicking create doesn't exactly start one.

EDIT 2: Bluh. Turns out it was doing something. Nevermind!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:33:59 pm by Duelmaster409 »

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: March 23, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »

Thanks, I screwed up my installation and was bombarded with bug notifications as a result.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: March 24, 2011, 09:14:13 am »

Duelmaster: I would suggest to read all tutorials present on wiki (or forums, but they are not complete there), they explain most stuff, like building ships, task forces, buildings and research.

By the way, how do I build orbital habitats? I've just read about them in "Pwyb" forum.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: March 24, 2011, 10:52:12 am »

AFAIK it is a researchable tech under Logistics/Ground Combat, and the orbital habitats themselves are designed using the usual Class Design screen, built much like PDCs with your planet's construction capacity, and towed into position. Their size could theorically preclude any passage through a jump point without a jump gate, though.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:55:42 am by JWNoctis »
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: March 24, 2011, 03:31:16 pm »

I don't care about jump gates yet, just learning yet. I just want to colonise Venus, but god damn its air pressure and hostile environment :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: March 24, 2011, 03:58:45 pm »

I don't care about jump gates yet, just learning yet. I just want to colonise Venus, but god damn its air pressure and hostile environment :P.
Heh, forget about Venus, it's not worth it unless you have a GIGANTIC Terraforming fleet and LOADS of time. Go for Mars instead.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: March 24, 2011, 04:01:12 pm »

1) Download and install the game (follow instructions thoroughly or you'll have problems with your installation) here.

2) Download and install the v5.4 patch.

3) Download and install the current v5.42 patch.
Actually, step 3 isn't even necessary.
Quote from: 5.4's page
NOTE: The Aurora.exe in this patch was changed to v5.42 at 17:30 GMT on March 14th so you don't need to download the extra v5.42 patch if you are downloading this patch after that time.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 1347