Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813137 times)

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3825 on: March 11, 2011, 04:52:27 am »

Can't you mark certain ships as conscript-only anyway to avoid burning up trained useful crew on suicide ships?

IIRC you can.
It's a checkbox in the ship design screen, it's near the top right corner.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3826 on: March 11, 2011, 11:12:52 am »

Can't you mark certain ships as conscript-only anyway to avoid burning up trained useful crew on suicide ships?

IIRC you can.
It's a checkbox in the ship design screen, it's near the top right corner.
Yay, suicide frigates AWAY!

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: March 14, 2011, 03:58:46 pm »

5.41 and 5.42 are out, on the same day no less.  Reduced height windows (TM) work properly now on 1280 by 800 screens, which makes my laptop very happy indeed.  Steve seems to have taken to the idea of changelogs for each version, so we have a better idea what exactly happened between 5.4 and a hypothetical 5.5.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: March 16, 2011, 10:38:16 am »

I'm thinking about revisiting Aurora, having last played in 5.02. Problem is I would have to start over, and technological progress isn't exactly fast. Is the starting year merely cosmetic or does it affect the starting tech base? If not, is it possible to automatically boost the starting tech level (for all starting empires) or would I have to do it manually through SM mode? In the end, it seems all I can really do is increase the number of starting research labs, and maybe the planetary population.

Thoughts? Tips?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3829 on: March 16, 2011, 10:45:27 am »

I'm thinking about revisiting Aurora, having last played in 5.02. Problem is I would have to start over, and technological progress isn't exactly fast. Is the starting year merely cosmetic or does it affect the starting tech base? If not, is it possible to automatically boost the starting tech level (for all starting empires) or would I have to do it manually through SM mode? In the end, it seems all I can really do is increase the number of starting research labs, and maybe the planetary population.

Thoughts? Tips?
You can just enable spacemaster mode or whatever it's called and give yourself whatever tech you want to start with. It's really that easy. I believe generated NPR's are based on your own progress at the time of their generation.

As far as I know the starting year is entirely cosmetic. If you're asking about boosting NPR tech bases at start, yes you'd have to do it manually. (See Below)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:59:32 am by forsaken1111 »

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: March 16, 2011, 10:56:18 am »

"New game"-> to the right of lower left corner there should be "Starting tech" box and inside it - "Starting tech points"  field. Change it to a higher value.

All AI empires base their tech level on your sum of tech points at the moment of their creation.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3831 on: March 16, 2011, 10:59:47 am »

"New game"-> to the right of lower left corner there should be "Starting tech" box and inside it - "Starting tech points"  field. Change it to a higher value.

All AI empires base their tech level on your sum of tech points at the moment of their creation.
Ahh, I didn't know NPRs took their tech from the tech point field.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: March 16, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »

I got excited when I saw the latest version would be compatible with smaller screen.  But it's not compatable with my screen...sigh.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: March 16, 2011, 03:10:48 pm »

Wait so if you start off with 0 tech so will they?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: March 16, 2011, 03:29:48 pm »

No, they'll start with whatever tech points you have when you first meet them.

And I don't think this applies for the special aliens such as the Invaders.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: March 16, 2011, 04:00:13 pm »

So what you're saying is to invest more into manufacturing and the expansion and increase of ship production facilities as well as the resources to supply them in the long run rather than researching weapons development as that will aid the aliens more than just curb stompipng them over with overwhelming force?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: March 16, 2011, 05:24:43 pm »

As far as I know, this only refers to the alien NPRs generated at the beginning of the game. (There's a field for that on the create new game screen) Sometimes the game will spawn other alien empires at lower or higher levels. I've run into conventional tech alien empires before, a fair way into the game.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

malkomk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: March 16, 2011, 09:44:55 pm »

Just wanted to let everyone who has trouble with broken forums links in the first post know that the forums have apparently moved, you can get the link from the wiki link in the first post. In other news this game looks AWESOME!!! And I mean AWESOME!! :D

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: March 18, 2011, 04:52:45 am »

Hey, guys, I found Steve just corrected me on something:
The extra warhead points aren't lost. It just means the damage to the armour isn't a perfect triangle. For example a 9 point warhead would have a 5-3-1 damage template while an 11 point warhead would have a 6-4-1 template and a 12 point warhead would be 6-4-2, etc. Yes, it true that the ideal ratio of damage to penetration (in terms of the most penetration for the least total damage) is always a square, such as 4, 9, 16, etc. but I have never believed it's that important. For example, the extra width of a ten point warhead (6-3-1) may be the spot where the next missile arrives, effectively giving it more penetration. When you are firing a lot of missiles at a target, it will all work itself out in the end.
According to the man himself, EVERYTHING WE KNEW ABOUT MISSILE WARHEADS IS WRONG! Panic! And such.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: March 18, 2011, 05:53:34 am »

Missles with a warhead rating that is a square number still have the best penetration/weight ratio, however.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 1347