Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813314 times)

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3720 on: February 22, 2011, 08:16:50 pm »

Now, my question: How should I be dealing with my Precursor problem? Do I need larger fleets? Bigger ships? Better tech? All of the above? Or should I just leave the systems alone?

Mining the jump points with one shot disposable ships maybe?
You can make actual mines in this game, you create a Bouy-type missile with thermal sensors powerful enough to see the target size of ship at about 200,000km (that'll pretty much cover the entire area ships can arrive in through a jump point) and put one or more secondary-stage missiles in it with a separation distance of 200,000km.  Make those 200,000km missiles with their own thermal sensors (they'll inherit the target from the bouy but need their own sensors) and as much of a warhead as you can fit.

When something that isn't from your civ is detected by the bouy's sensors it will fire its missiles.  One downside, every single buoy will go off at the very first target, there's no way to spread fire if a fleet jumps in. And buoys have a lifetime determined by their reactor - usually measured in months.

Personally I use your suggestion of disposable defence satellites, which are no-engine military ships around the 1000t mark with a beam weapon, sensor and fire control.  They're designed to hit enemies as hard as possible while they're in their sensor blindness period but not really able to put up any resistance if the enemies survive - although I often use them in conjunction with real ships with actual armour and PD and stuff. The advantage of keeping the size down and using lots of gunship-sized sats rather than a few big ones is that you can ferry them in carriers rather than have to tug them one by one. Remember to train them heavily or they probably won't respond fast enough to a jump-in. And leave their (short ranged) active sensors on permanently. And give them overhauls every now and then.

Quite possibly the worst job in my empire, crewing a defence satellite. An incredibly boring years-long deployment in a tiny metal box. And the only thing worse than the boredom is what happens when it gets interesting.  I'd pretend they were entirely robotic except they have commanders and leave lifepods, so...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: February 22, 2011, 09:00:30 pm »

I'm currently debating restarting my game.

By the hints that you guys gave me, I managed to correctly ID which systems were held by the Precursors and which by the Wormhole aliens. After defeating two Precursor fleets (sadly, just small fleets with a single sensor station world, no ruins or other neat tech to explore), I had a wormhole appear at Barnards Star - the gateway system which I was using to explore the galaxy (since it was the only path out of Sol that wasn't blocked by massive Wormhole fleets). I moved my entire fleet to the wormhole, and over the next couple of months, I defeated three different Wormhole fleets, including one which had a 64,000 ton ship, with a shield strength of 1,500.

However, with each of these battles, I lost 20-30 fighters, usually all of my carriers, and usually one or two of my battlecruisers. I literally cannot replace my ships faster than the wormhole spawns new ones.

And just now, one more ship has spawned from the wormhole - another 64,000 ton ship. After losing the 10 remaining fighters, and losing one BC per volley from the enemy fleet, I decided to check out SM mode to see if I could win this battle.... The answer is: no. Even though I was inflicting around 700 damage per volley of my own, the reload time of my weapons, without a fighter swarm to keep their shields hurting and to absorb damage, their insane shields are recharging to 0% damage between each time I hit them.

My fleet cannot flee to gate out before they will all be killed. The entire upper echelon of my commander corps will die, and although I have even larger, better ships being built, I won't have another fleet for something like 5+ years.

Given that I've seen ~12 ships spawn from this thing in less than 6 months, I don't see how I'll ever be able to defeat 5 years of buildup.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:12 pm »

Dude, we're dwarves. Losing is FUN. Build up for one last stand at Earth.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: February 22, 2011, 10:27:55 pm »

Quite possibly the worst job in my empire, crewing a defence satellite. An incredibly boring years-long deployment in a tiny metal box. And the only thing worse than the boredom is what happens when it gets interesting.  I'd pretend they were entirely robotic except they have commanders and leave lifepods, so...

Wouldn't they just be spending all their time playing Dwarf Fortress?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3724 on: February 23, 2011, 12:30:26 am »

I'm paying attention to the Aurora LP on SomethingAwful and it sounds very interesting. For those who aren't registered, I decided to put Today One as a name for a colony for Humans, so that's my sole Bay12Games contribution.

Anyway, the Aurora Wiki is down, and i want to avoid spoilers so...how does Alien races (other than the Precusors, the Alien Invaders, and Star Swarm, the LPer already gave me details on that)...uh...work? And what does government types do? Just curious.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: February 23, 2011, 12:37:03 am »

Anyway, the Aurora Wiki is down, and i want to avoid spoilers so...how does Alien races (other than the Precusors, the Alien Invaders, and Star Swarm, the LPer already gave me details on that)...uh...work? And what does government types do? Just curious.
What specifically do you want to know about NPRs?

As for goverment types, excluding changing the starting game planet's population stats, it changes some values like militancy and trading and expansionism. No idea if they do anything though.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: February 23, 2011, 01:07:52 am »

What specifically do you want to know about NPRs?

...what? Is the game that complex that I can't merely ask for a brief description of them?

Uh...okay, what are the possible races that you could face off against? And how do they behave?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:17 am »

...what? Is the game that complex that I can't merely ask for a brief description of them?
Yep.

Uh...okay, what are the possible races that you could face off against?
While the Star Swarm, Precursors, and Invaders are fixed, NPRs (Non Player Races [technically SS, Precursors, and Invaders are NPRs, but you usually just call them by their name]) randomly generated. So there's no way of telling. At all.

And how do they behave?
Pretty sure they act the same. However, some may have higher Xenophobia or Diplomacy stats than others, which affects diplomacy. For more about stats, see here. Not entirely sure if Determination, Expansionism, etc have any effect on how the NPR reacts. You'd have to ask some of the veterans on their forum.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: February 23, 2011, 01:40:06 am »

I'm dreading the Aurora LP already.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: February 24, 2011, 12:04:55 pm »

Hm. Well, I'm going to try to figure this out at some point over the next few weeks. Unfortunately it looks like the wiki is down. I've been reading through a few of the tutorials on the forums, but I was wondering if there were any other tutorials out there. Other than searching the wiki site and using Google cache to read through the augmented tutorials that is.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: February 24, 2011, 01:50:07 pm »

Hm. Well, I'm going to try to figure this out at some point over the next few weeks. Unfortunately it looks like the wiki is down. I've been reading through a few of the tutorials on the forums, but I was wondering if there were any other tutorials out there. Other than searching the wiki site and using Google cache to read through the augmented tutorials that is.
I don't think so. However, if you have any questions, ask 'em, since that's what this thread has been doing for a long while.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:21 pm »

this thread has answered no questions evar.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: February 24, 2011, 11:30:15 pm »

this thread has answered no questions evar.
...Uh, yes it has. What's the point of your post? Also, why do you still have the LP link in your sig still?

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: February 26, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »

because i havent removed it.

this thread has answered no posts ;)
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: February 26, 2011, 04:53:02 pm »

this thread has answered no posts ;)
Yes it has.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 1347