Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813353 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3705 on: February 16, 2011, 03:56:24 pm »

But that's for Aurora 2, which is quite a ways away from being released.

He posted it in the change log for 5.40. I assume he means to add it to the next patch. Would also explain the complaint of time spent changing the windows code in VB6
Err... Indeed. Hurr durr I should have paid more attention when reading it Hurr Durr *Headdesk*
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: February 17, 2011, 07:59:06 am »

Oh good. That was keeping me from being able to play it very well.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: February 17, 2011, 08:21:11 am »

Ok, curse you guys for bringing this topic back from the depths. I'd somehow managed to miss it before, but now that I've seen it... Over the past couple of weeks I've read ~200 pages of this topic and I've got my own game started in v5.30. It took a little while to get used to the controls (although, judging from some of the comments in the start of the thread, it sounds like I missed some real headaches by starting at 5.3).

The Terran Federation, as of August 14th, 2053 now contains 6 colonies over 4 star systems. Mars and Mercury have been fully terraformed by my 38-ship strong terraforming fleet (2 terraforming modules per ship + commander bonuses = equivalent of 87.4 ground-based factories). I feel like I'm doing pretty well - with one exception: Precursor fleets are kicking my ass. My initial "battles" with them normally involved my scout seeing a ship, then exploding ~15 seconds later. However, over the last couple of years, I've put together several fleets to try and combat the growing Precursor threat (and I do mean growing - 3 systems that didn't start with Precursors now have significant fleets, and one of them is only one jump away from Sol itself!)

The problem - my fleets, built with the latest technology that the Federation can offer, have been exterminated to a man. We're completely outclassed. My last “good” battle saw our 7-strong fleet close with the Precursors. As it happened, one of their classes is much faster then the rest (16k/sec over the 10k/sec of the rest) so it was my entire fleet against just their single ship.  Unloading with our size 16 torpedoes and a stream of missiles, we inflicted multiple hits, sometimes even 4 or 5 x 14 damage in a single 5 second pulse. Yeah, didn’t even scratch the paint.

Meanwhile, the single Precursor ship fired back with its size 16 torpedoes. Our CIWS managed to knock down some, but many got through. Soon it was 6 on 1, then 5, 4… Just before my last ships were destroyed by their one ship, the rest of the fleet – half a dozen strong or so – came into range. Hundreds of missiles blew the remainder of my fleet to ash in seconds.

Now, my question: How should I be dealing with my Precursor problem? Do I need larger fleets? Bigger ships? Better tech? All of the above? Or should I just leave the systems alone?

Here’s the fleet that fought at the battle of Alderamin (the battle I described above):
2x
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3x

2x

So, any tips?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: February 17, 2011, 08:47:21 am »

Spreading ships sound more like Hivers -eg space bugs, rather than Precursors.
IIRC the bugs use shortranged beamweapons preferably, a good load of fast longrange missiles should be most effective against those. Also find and kill the Queen, a shipyard sized critter spewing out new bugs somewhere insystem. 
Precursors always kicked my ass too. I think overwhemlming force is the only method.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: February 17, 2011, 09:05:26 am »

yea, what he said.
focus on improving your long range combat if you want to be extremely effective.
i suppose you could try and make your ships more tank-like instead.. but it wont help near as much.
So greatly focus on increasing your missile range [which also requires WAYYY better active sensors at the least]

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: February 17, 2011, 10:28:09 am »

I effectively used one-shot missile boats against an early swarm once.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: February 17, 2011, 11:11:03 am »

Spreading ships sound more like Hivers -eg space bugs, rather than Precursors.
IIRC the bugs use shortranged beamweapons preferably, a good load of fast longrange missiles should be most effective against those. Also find and kill the Queen, a shipyard sized critter spewing out new bugs somewhere insystem. 
Precursors always kicked my ass too. I think overwhemlming force is the only method.

Almost certain that it isn't the Swarm - I faced off against them in the same system earlier - tons of 800 ton ships with mesons, yes? I know them as the "Alderamin Aliens" and I've seen them only in Alderamin. 

Ships - Graf Spree, 800 tons, 1x meson Cannon, Speed 10k.

The ships I ended up fighting were the "Epsilon Eridani Aliens", who have the known systems of Epsilon Eridani, Aleramin and Hex.

Ships – (just some – they’ve got 8 ships that I’ve seen)

Ryaugh, 11,000 tons, Speed 16k. 330 shield strength (no weapon listed, but I saw it using size 16 torpedoes)
Pug, 25,600 tons, Speed 10k, 750 shield strength (uses missiles of some sort)
Kulgan, 64,000 tons, Speed 10k, 1,500 shield strength

My diplomatic teams have been entirely unsuccessful, so I don’t think it’s just a random NPR.

But, better range, eh? Ok, I'll start my researchers working in that diretion.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:12:43 am by AlStar »

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: February 17, 2011, 01:47:44 pm »

Those are much heavier than typical precursor light craft and just as fast.

If none of those use mesons I can suggest deploying extra-heavy armored tanks (I am talking about thickness of 30; by the time you start taking internal damage about half of your armor will be gone - you can estimate how many size 16 torpedo hits it will take) with any weapons of maximum size category you can invent (more damage in a single hit is good to penetrate armor and precursors have medium armor). That would be most likely one time use vessels but armor is relatively cheap both to research and to build. This strategy works especially good against missiles since there is only a limited amount of them.  If the enemy closes into your weapon range by himself and is beyond your capabilities to keep him at your preferred range - you may want to sacrifice some engines for more armor.

Better range is excellent if you can dictate it but without speed advantage it can only matter if you massively outgun the enemy and in that case almost all strategies work.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:17 pm »

They are not Precursors. They are not NPRs neither. In one of the latest patches Steve coded new threat - they are the best game has to offer and u can know thats them because its the only enemy that can use torpedo missile weapons (its not a same as players torpedo which are basically guns). Didnt play on the last patch, but earlier the best way to deal with them was a swarm of fighters with missiles, the other was larger ships loaded with tons of box missiles but needed more tech to survive. Be carefull they can spawn around unstable wormholes (only reason for them ingame now). Alpha strike is cheapest low end way to deal with those enormous shields. Later on you can try to put your dirty hands on barely touched ship to get that torpedos and shield gens.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #3714 on: February 17, 2011, 02:15:35 pm »

Steve added reduced resolution of 1280 x 800
Hopefully will help a few try the game again.

Quote from: Steve
(http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3214.0.html)

Reduced Height Windows

A couple of people have mentioned over the past year or two that they wouldn't mind being able to play Aurora in a lower resolution. ETC...

HA!  :-X
I got nothing

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: February 17, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »

Steve added reduced resolution of 1280 x 800
Hopefully will help a few try the game again.

Quote from: Steve
(http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3214.0.html)

Reduced Height Windows

Fucking everyone has mentioned over the past year or two that they wouldn't mind being able to play Aurora in a lower resolution. ETC...

HA!  :-X

Fixed

I have a monitor that I normally run at 1440x900, but I have to change it for Aurora, I don't mind, but it get's a little annoying.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: February 22, 2011, 04:52:37 pm »

Aaaannnd my laptop has a maximum vert resolution of 768.

SO CLOSE
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: February 22, 2011, 04:54:44 pm »

When does the new version come out, or is it a "done when it's done" deal?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: February 22, 2011, 05:32:23 pm »

When does the new version come out, or is it a "done when it's done" deal?
Pretty sure it's a done when it's done deal.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:10 pm »

Now, my question: How should I be dealing with my Precursor problem? Do I need larger fleets? Bigger ships? Better tech? All of the above? Or should I just leave the systems alone?

Mining the jump points with one shot disposable ships maybe?
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 1347