Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813431 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3630 on: December 12, 2010, 11:42:24 pm »

Ok the game is running for now. Man i have designed a small survey ship but how the hell do give your miltary shipyard a order to build the damn ship?
Is the ship itself military? That is one of the most important things to figure out before trying to build a ship. In the ship design does it say "This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes" or does it say "This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes"? Military shipyards cannot build commercial ships Commercial shipyards cannot build military ships However, Military shipyards can build of either class, however I wouldn't recommend using military shipyards for Commercial ships because they are WAY less cost efficient to upgrade.

Another thing is, is the shipyard big enough to build the class? If not, you need to make it bigger.

Anyway, if you are trying to use the same shipyard type as the ship, the way to get a ship build is:
   1: Go to Population and Production.
   2: Go to the Manage Shipyards tab.
   3: Select a shipyard big enough to build the ship and is the right type(if the ship is military, then it must be built in a Military shipyard. However, if it's Commercial, it can be built in either, though I'd recommend using Commercial shipyards for Commercial ships as they cost far less to upgrade). If the shipyard isn't big enough, skip 4 and go to 4B.
   4: Select the Shipyard Complex activity's Task Type drop-down box, select Retool for Selected Class, and select the right class from the new drop-down box to the immediate right of the Task Type one. Then finally press the Set Activity button. If the shipyard is already prepared for a different class than the one you set it to retool to, you will have to wait until the shipyard is finished retooling. Otherwise, it should finish retooling immediately.
     4B: If your shipyard is too small, select the Shipyard Complex activity's Task Type drop-down box, select add XXX(however much you need), and finally select the Set Activity Button and wait for the shipyard to finish expanding. You may do this multiple times until the shipyard is big enough. Once the shipyard is big enough, go back to 4.
   5: Finally, to start building the ship. In the Create Task section, make sure the Task Type is on construction and then simply select Add Task. The shipyard should begin chugging away on that new ship.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 01:50:38 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3631 on: December 13, 2010, 12:55:44 am »

Woah...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is more sorium than in the rest of my solar system COMBINED.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: December 13, 2010, 12:59:23 am »

Guess you don't have to research Fuel Efficiency for a while. :P
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3633 on: December 13, 2010, 01:05:18 am »

Guess you don't have to research Fuel Efficiency for a while. :P
And its 0.9 accessibility. I shipped all of my fuel refineries out there already.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: December 13, 2010, 06:33:22 am »

Civilian shipyards can't build military ships but as far as I recall military shipyards can build anything. They are just 10 times less cost effective to upgrade to the same large size. Or has this been changed since 5.02?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: December 13, 2010, 01:47:06 pm »

Civilian shipyards can't build military ships but as far as I recall military shipyards can build anything. They are just 10 times less cost effective to upgrade to the same large size. Or has this been changed since 5.02?
Oh, you're right, yes they can.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3636 on: December 13, 2010, 02:36:28 pm »

Yep, I design my smaller civilian ships to fit my military yard since it had 3 slipways so I can run several at once. I reserve the large civilian yard for freighters and colony ships.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: January 08, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »

Yeah, the initial problems I see with this game is that: 1. You have to have a really annoying screen resolution to play it (specifically 1280x1024 as far as I can tell, and nothing else) ...which is really, really bad coding, and 2. The tutorials are not nearly as helpful as Dwarf Fortresses. Currently, I'm awaiting approval on the forums to see if I can ask for help there in trying to get the game started. I've got it working, but the tutorials on race creation seem to assume you already know how to play the game, which is pointless and annoying.

Still, if I can get past this stuff (no problem for a DWARF FORTRESS player) this does indeed seem to be the Dwarf Fortress of 4x games.

Edit: Wow, not only did I necromancy a month old thread, but I coincidently only saw the first two pages of it without realzing it had like 240+ more. Major fail here.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3638 on: January 08, 2011, 11:12:19 pm »

It happens. The game is worth it if you're the type to enjoy a detail-oriented space sim.

If you have specific questions let us know.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: January 09, 2011, 08:05:44 am »

Actually I do! I'm starting the game by trying to make a new race. Yes, I know it says its not reccomended for new players, but since when do Dwarf Fortress players let a little megaproject bother them?

So I'm on this tutorial:

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Create_a_custom_race

I'm on this step:

When you enter the game set your default race as the SM race. You can't actually start playing for awhile yet. Turn SM mode on as well. Then go into the system information, and then create a system.

What exactly is the System Information? Is it the green menu? Most menus I go into just generate error messages at this point. So I'm trying to figure out how to get into system information and create a system. Turning on SM mode is easy.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:45 am »

Just press F9.

Or open the Empires menu and click on System Information, but that's slower.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: January 09, 2011, 10:28:06 am »

Actually I do! I'm starting the game by trying to make a new race. Yes, I know it says its not reccomended for new players, but since when do Dwarf Fortress players let a little megaproject bother them?

Yes but when has your first mega project ever not gone horribly wrong?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: January 09, 2011, 10:31:51 am »

Haha, true, true. Alright, so I've figured out how to create systems and such. How do I get into the SM terraforming menu? The tutorial I mentioned above promises "to explain that later" but never does. Damn, I never realized how awesome our DF tutorials were before.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: January 09, 2011, 12:04:53 pm »

...which is really, really bad coding...
This describes the game very very well, it's awesome, but has poor coding. It really needs a ground-up rewrite... And perhaps, just maybe a better coder.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: January 09, 2011, 12:20:29 pm »

Haha, true, true. Alright, so I've figured out how to create systems and such. How do I get into the SM terraforming menu? The tutorial I mentioned above promises "to explain that later" but never does. Damn, I never realized how awesome our DF tutorials were before.
Make sure you have a colony on the planet you want to terraform. Go into the Economics window(F2) and switch to the Environment/GMC tab. Pick a gas, set your desired amount of it in the Maximum Atm field and press the SM Set Atm button to instantly set it to that value.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 1347