Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813495 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3600 on: December 08, 2010, 02:41:37 pm »

On an off-note, I keep on finding Jump Gates that lead from uninhabited systems with only one Warp Point - It's like there used to be something there, but there aren't any ruins (That I've found) or anything. There are no Jump Gates leading into the systems, and none of the planets in those systems have an environment that could support life, which just makes it weirder.  I've taken active sensors into these places, put them on planets where there could be a growing alien base, but there's nothing!  Anyone know what those are from?
Jump Gates can be randomly generated some time in a Jump Point's life. My best guess is they're left from a Precursor nation. Just because you find one doesn't mean that it was created by a NPR.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3601 on: December 08, 2010, 03:00:29 pm »

Has anyone used drones to any success? I have not yet tried to, but I would love to make some sort of drone cruiser.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: December 08, 2010, 06:28:22 pm »

mm, I occaisoinly use them as fire-and-forget scouts.
I think i tried using them as a immensively long range missile, but i tended to outrange the NPR's anyways, so it never seemed worth it.
If your actually fighting someone with a longer range or sensors then you, then i would highly recommend it.. otherwise it seems like a waste.

A waste efficiency-wise, not fun-wise... if its fun for you then more power to you  :D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3603 on: December 08, 2010, 06:32:26 pm »

mm, I occaisoinly use them as fire-and-forget scouts.
I think i tried using them as a immensively long range missile, but i tended to outrange the NPR's anyways, so it never seemed worth it.
If your actually fighting someone with a longer range or sensors then you, then i would highly recommend it.. otherwise it seems like a waste.

A waste efficiency-wise, not fun-wise... if its fun for you then more power to you  :D
So are they single-use then? I was hoping to drop guns on them and have them launch and recover, but if they're like one-shot weapon platforms it doesn't seem that great.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: December 08, 2010, 08:22:04 pm »

...i honestly haven't tried recovering them.
They are in effect just modified missiles, so i assumed you couldn't.
If you can recover them that would change my opinion completely.
i'm 95% sure you can't though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3605 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:28 pm »

See I was picturing autonomous drones that swarm out and attack then return. Hmph

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:23 pm »

See I was picturing autonomous drones that swarm out and attack then return. Hmph

Nah, the closest you can do with that is with fighters.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: December 08, 2010, 10:34:02 pm »

I'll post my answer in the other forum here, but the two threads should be merged

I really want to play it but my monitor is too small. I tried the utilities mentioned in their "display issues" thread (under the "FAQ" forum) but it doesn't work. I guess I'll wait till I have a bigger monitor, till Aurora 2 is released or till I find someway to make it work. If anyone here could, please post how! I love complex games, do you know more of this kind of games?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: December 10, 2010, 03:48:31 am »

This game is confusing. How do you give your ships orders? I can't figure out how to send out my geological survey vessel to, y'know, survey geology, no matter where I look. This game would definitely benefit from a wiki as extensive as Dwarf Fortress's.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: December 10, 2010, 04:02:36 am »

This game is confusing. How do you give your ships orders? I can't figure out how to send out my geological survey vessel to, y'know, survey geology, no matter where I look. This game would definitely benefit from a wiki as extensive as Dwarf Fortress's.
Go to the Fleet Orders window(the star destroyer icon in the System Map window, or press F12). Select the Task Group the ship is in(top right corner of the window, the "name" dropdown box), select a planet from the bottom left box, select the type of order you want your ship to carry out, then finally press Add Move. Your ship should start moving. Also, make sure you assign it to a Task Group that isn't the shipyard Task Group, or your ship won't move no matter what.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: December 10, 2010, 04:16:46 am »

Always been interested in this game... They made a solution to fixing large windows that actually works yet?

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: December 10, 2010, 06:16:10 am »

Guys, im reading through trans-newtoninan campaign AAR (http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1339.0.html) and this part 7 is missing. Do you know where to find it?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: December 10, 2010, 09:09:07 am »

There's also the automated option, which works fairly well.  In the Task Groups window, check the second tab.  Set the default orders for your survey TG to scan system bodies (or system locations for gravsurvey ships).  For most systems, you just need to send your ship into the system and it'll do everything automatically.  Comets and large systems (most commonly, binary/ternary systems) occasionally leave some unsurveyed bodies since the "survey nearest foo" orders only look within a 3 billion km radius.

Default (and sometimes conditional) orders can be very useful for certain tasks.  For others, not so much.  Note that the "> 25m" and "< 25m" in the (un)load colonist orders actually refer to whether the population is a source or destination.  Check the civilian tab of the population window for that, and be aware that small pops (< 25m) seem to automatically revert to destinations during the next time increment.  Also, be very careful with automated jump gate construction, as the ship will insist on building a gate on both sides, thus exploring new systems and potentially spawning new NPRs.  I suggest manual construction instead.

Fun fact:  A TG with both "build jump gate" and "survey system locations" orders can, in theory, explore the whole galaxy without your intervention.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: December 10, 2010, 03:32:51 pm »

Guys, im reading through trans-newtoninan campaign AAR (http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,1339.0.html) and this part 7 is missing. Do you know where to find it?
I think it was lost with the forum move or something like that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3614 on: December 10, 2010, 05:19:05 pm »

Yeah for survey ships I give them 'survey nearest planet/moon' primary and 'survey nearest system body' secondary so they do the planets and moons first. I also give them 'if fuel is < 30% refuel at colony within 4 jumps' so they return to base when low on fuel and I can just give them a move order back to the survey system when they're refuelled.

If I feel more organized, I park a refuelling ship around a sorium gas giant and let them refuel there.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 1347