Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813559 times)

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3585 on: November 21, 2010, 08:13:44 pm »

I run aurora one a 1366 x 768 resolution monitor.

You need resizenable, and what you do is you make the window 50 smaller, release, then stretch it back out again.

Its a bit tricky but it works just fine.
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: November 21, 2010, 08:40:48 pm »

This game is such a crule thing... again and again it makes me play it and again and again it locks up 2-5 hours in, throwing more errors at me then one can possible click away.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: November 22, 2010, 06:03:33 pm »

Old thread but that game looks cool

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: November 22, 2010, 07:11:20 pm »

Don't do it man...Don't do it.  It's not worth it.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: November 22, 2010, 08:20:21 pm »

Really, it isn't. Unless you have the right screen size and lots and lots of time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3590 on: November 22, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »

Really, it isn't. Unless you have the right screen size and lots and lots of time.
Aurora is certainly worth a look if your screen supports the vertical resolution. It is an interesting game for those who like that sort of thing.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: November 22, 2010, 08:50:32 pm »

There's so much better stuff you could do with your time, though.  And coming from someone on the DF forums, that's saying a lot.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3592 on: November 22, 2010, 08:52:27 pm »

There's so much better stuff you could do with your time, though.  And coming from someone on the DF forums, that's saying a lot.
If you don't enjoy the game you don't have to play it. There's no reason to come into the game's thread and insult the people who do enjoy it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:06 pm »

Aurora 2 should be solving these issues though.

It wont require HUGE ASS SCREENS!, or multiple monitors.

The NPR changing the time increments to five second thing, should be resolved as he changing the time mgm thing.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: November 22, 2010, 10:29:43 pm »

Aurora 2?
What is this?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: November 22, 2010, 10:31:01 pm »

Aurora 2?
What is this?

Well, I'm going with it being a sequel to Aurora myself.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: November 23, 2010, 12:33:55 am »

Aurora 2 is so far away i bet we will all still be wondering what Aurora 2 is atliest a year from now.

He is currently learning C# to do this in.

Itll be great a year from now to maybe play a very early version of it, and have it not bug out after 50+ years though.. hopefully.

He has some interesting idea's i hope he keeps on it though and doesnt give up.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: December 08, 2010, 12:52:05 pm »

I van't see the bottom of the class screen and resizenable doesnt work (if I make the class screen match my screen the lower bit that would normally be ''bellow'' my screen just dissapears...)

any help?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3598 on: December 08, 2010, 01:31:07 pm »

Yeah, you have to have a fairly large screen in order to play right now.  It's annoying, but there are (Supposedly) ways around it if you check the forums.  I'm not sure about the bugs, because there are quite a few - One where you have to add a file to the game folder (Check the orginal post for info on that file, I don't think you need to replace the file in your directory), and another, older one where opposing AI forces would bring everything to a crawl.  Now the game just deletes fleets that take too long in combat (Hopefully not the players', though!).  On my system the game pops up with lots of error reports, but the game is still playable.

At the moment, the game is so incredibly complex that you need to spend a few hours getting around the basics - I'm still figuring out how to do things, but I really enjoy figuring out complex stuff so it's my kind of cake.  The game is deep enough to make it worth it (For me).

My experience mostly involves interest, discovery, frustration, and then I stop playing for a while until the process starts over again.  I think I've got most of the game down (Besides combat, I usually just get plastered before I can experiment), and I think it's really fun - Until the NPR that's ten times as advanced as you are comes and nukes your homeworld out of nowhere.  I suggest making the difficulty 5%, for that...  They won't grow much, so they won't expand much.

I honestly can't wait until the developper comes out with newer versions that makes certain things more manageable and less Micro-Managey.  That's the biggest problem for me, right now - It's impossible to do anything without fiddling around with lots of screens and keeping track of your officers is a pain, since there are so many and they constantly die/retire/get sick, and you often don't know if they had any important assignments or not.

I think it's fun, since it takes all the things that I love about 4X games and makes it complex and interesting.  I love the whole civilian space-liner side of it, since it's never really explored in 4X games.

You have to remember that the game is still in its basic stages and won't be exactly what everyone wants from it.  I look forward to seeing it grow, especially in the AI department - Aliens seem more like homicidal maniacs than the cautious, curious beings that I kind of expect from extraterrestrials.

So, if it interests you, go ahead and try it, but if it doesn't (Or if it's too frustrating) it's best to wait a year or so until it's more developped.

On an off-note, I keep on finding Jump Gates that lead from uninhabited systems with only one Warp Point - It's like there used to be something there, but there aren't any ruins (That I've found) or anything. There are no Jump Gates leading into the systems, and none of the planets in those systems have an environment that could support life, which just makes it weirder.  I've taken active sensors into these places, put them on planets where there could be a growing alien base, but there's nothing!  Anyone know what those are from?
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: December 08, 2010, 01:41:53 pm »

I'd say that the game is definitely worth spending some time on if you ever find a few spare hours to sink into it. A lot of the forum/wiki tutorials go on and on about the mechanics/math behind everything, but don't be intimidated by this, try to stick through it. A lot of these mechanics don't really even bother you that much in the game but they're useful to know.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 1347