Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813560 times)

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3570 on: November 12, 2010, 03:36:27 am »

It fixed itself.

Does anyone have any tips on colony building? I've made a colony on mars, and I've gotten the production up to above 100, but it's still really slow. I want to get the colony on it's feet, so it doesn't rely on factory shipments from Earth, which is getting inconvenient.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: November 12, 2010, 03:43:13 am »

Well, you can use Colony ships to get the population higher, and ship over automated mines, and then factories from earth. More infrastructure the better. It takes, or did take 5 cargo modules in order to take a factory or a mine in trip. Also of course, more infrastructure the better.

Long term goal, would be to get terraformers, more the merrier (I always use ships, so that the planets population can continue with whats its doing.), this will eventually lessen the amount of the population that needs to do services and maintenance things on the infrastructure and allows for a more productive life.

But I dont really see getting a Colony fully mature in less then 5 or so years. Assuming that this is near the start of the game, since you're speaking about colonizing mars. It'll be rare to get a planet to be like another Earth, or at least longer then what most games last in my experience.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: November 12, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »

Is there any way to bolster the civilian economy to encourage more corporations to ship stuff between Earth and Mars?

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: November 12, 2010, 03:19:58 pm »

Is there a fix to be able to play this without a monitor yet? I'm on a laptop and I desperately want to play this :(

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: November 12, 2010, 03:23:34 pm »

Is there any way to bolster the civilian economy to encourage more corporations to ship stuff between Earth and Mars?

Click on the civilian shipping button and then you should see fund civilian shipping around there somewhere. You will actually need commercial designs for the shipping lines to be able to do anything though.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: November 12, 2010, 03:34:51 pm »

Click on the civilian shipping button and then you should see fund civilian shipping around there somewhere. You will actually need commercial designs for the shipping lines to be able to do anything though.

They already started using my old designs on their own, so that's not an issue. Thanks.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: November 12, 2010, 03:58:33 pm »

Yea, give em more funding and they will build more ships..

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3577 on: November 12, 2010, 04:17:20 pm »

Is there a fix to be able to play this without a monitor yet? I'm on a laptop and I desperately want to play this :(

Just the standard workaround: if running XP or above, set the resolution higher than the laptop can handle, and scroll around as necessary. That's how I did it on a laptop for months.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: November 12, 2010, 06:58:34 pm »

Just the standard workaround: if running XP or above, set the resolution higher than the laptop can handle, and scroll around as necessary. That's how I did it on a laptop for months.

No, Aurora will never have a 'fix' for its requirement of a huge ass resolution. Steve doesn't believe its worth the effort, and the few things hes tried, he hasn't been happy with it.

However, in Aurora 2, it'll be more friendly toward smaller monitors and single monitor set up.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: November 12, 2010, 07:07:34 pm »

What's the best way to raise a planet's atmospheric pressure and temperature?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: November 12, 2010, 07:27:05 pm »

...Terraforming.

The main gasses I use are:

Oxygen for obvious reasons.
Carbon dioxide for heating up the planet.
Safe Anti-greenhouse gasses for cooling down the planet.
Nitrogen for increasing the atmospheric pressure with little effect on the planet's heat.
Argon sometimes for the lulz.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: November 12, 2010, 07:30:52 pm »

...Terraforming.

The main gasses I use are:

Oxygen for obvious reasons.
Carbon dioxide for heating up the planet.
Safe Anti-greenhouse gasses for cooling down the planet.
Nitrogen for increasing the atmospheric pressure with little effect on the planet's heat.
Argon sometimes for the lulz.

Is Carbon Dioxide more effective at heating than safe greenhouse gasses, then?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: November 12, 2010, 07:35:59 pm »

I think they're the same. I just use Carbon Dioxide because I prefer it over the abstract "Safe Greenhouse Gasses".
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: November 13, 2010, 04:41:58 pm »

Does Sulfuric Oxide count as toxic? Because in theory that should be much more effective then Carbon Dioxide.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: November 13, 2010, 04:49:18 pm »

There's no such thing as Sulfuric Oxide in Aurora.

There is, however, Sulfur Dioxide in Aurora. And yes, it does count as toxic.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 1347