Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813618 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3555 on: November 03, 2010, 04:32:06 pm »

We don't know why the Centauri attacked us, and we may never know.
Sounds like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Fuk i just did everything and said yes to all the system files tried to run game and comes up with a fukkkkk load of errors like about 50 of them  ¬¬
Did you actually do everything, or did you just run the installer? You also have to install the patch and then an update.
Here, I simplified what you have to do to get it running:
1: Download the Aurora v4.91 Full Installation.
2: Run the installer.
3: Unzip the patch zip inside the main zip (Aurora491.zip I think) to the Aurora folder ([[Drive letter]]:\Program Files\Aurora or [[Drive letter]]:\Program Files (x86)\Aurora). Overwrite all files.
4: Download the Aurora 5.20 patch.
5: Unzip all the files in the zip file to the Aurora folder. Overwrite all files.
6: Play the game.

Anyway I've been watching this, buy I would like to see it in action first, so anyone know a decent "Let's Play"
The two that had been going on this forum are dead. But the fiction section of the Aurora forum is excellent. Sure, many parts may be completely made up and not in the actual game, but it still shows what you can do with the game.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:35:37 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: November 03, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »

mm.. a let's play of aurora likely wouldnt be that good.. unless it was sped up timescale.. its not that "fast" of  game... And you spend a lot of time in places you wouldn't in other games.. or atleast i do...
Sometimes it feels like nothing "amazing" happens for many real-life hours.. instead its a lot of designing ships, managing economy/resources, building new colonies, maybe setting up some frieghter routes to transfer your minerals between solar systems.. and hten out of the blue you run into a alien race, or it runs into you.. and things get dangerous for awhile.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3557 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:23 pm »

mm.. a let's play of aurora likely wouldnt be that good.. unless it was sped up timescale.. its not that "fast" of  game... And you spend a lot of time in places you wouldn't in other games.. or atleast i do...
Sometimes it feels like nothing "amazing" happens for many real-life hours.. instead its a lot of designing ships, managing economy/resources, building new colonies, maybe setting up some frieghter routes to transfer your minerals between solar systems.. and hten out of the blue you run into a alien race, or it runs into you.. and things get dangerous for awhile.
The quality of a LP depends entirely on the person running it, not the game itself. A good host can make even a dull game fun in a LP setting. An Aurora LP could be run as a council of rulers, with division of duties and submission of ship designs, etc.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: November 03, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »

Steve is planning on a sequel: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php/topic,3011.0.html

Main points:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: November 04, 2010, 07:59:43 am »

Fuk i just did everything and said yes to all the system files tried to run game and comes up with a fukkkkk load of errors like about 50 of them  ¬¬
Did you actually do everything, or did you just run the installer? You also have to install the patch and then an update.
Here, I simplified what you have to do to get it running:
1: Download the Aurora v4.91 Full Installation.
2: Run the installer.
3: Unzip the patch zip inside the main zip (Aurora491.zip I think) to the Aurora folder ([[Drive letter]]:\Program Files\Aurora or [[Drive letter]]:\Program Files (x86)\Aurora). Overwrite all files.
4: Download the Aurora 5.20 patch.
5: Unzip all the files in the zip file to the Aurora folder. Overwrite all files.
6: Play the game.
done done done anddd done... but i still keep getting the errors T.T mheee i really want to play the game :(

Also for people trying to install if your getting errors install the game outside of program files

andddd now i have done it all i get is a grey screen when i start up :/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:26:01 am by ScriptWolf »
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3560 on: November 04, 2010, 03:32:20 pm »

andddd now i have done it all i get is a grey screen when i start up :/
I'm pretty sure that's normal. Look for the tabs on the top of the window. Under "Empires" there should be a "System maps" option. Click on it and you should see the system maps along with the near minimal interface at the top of the window.

You can also press F3 to open the system maps.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: November 11, 2010, 09:31:31 pm »

One of my task groups isn't taking orders. It's taking them, but not executing them. It just sits there with the order. What do I do?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3562 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:57 pm »

How long have you been waiting? Task Groups inexperienced with acting in their taskforce(not taskgroup) will take a little bit to understand and execute orders.

Also, the way to tell how experienced a TG is at working with their TF is on the Task Groups window, right of the grade bonus, it says "TF Training".

Also also, there's a Task Force window, you can access it by pressing the button right of the Task Group button on the System Maps window, or by pressing Ctrl+F4.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:41:56 pm by Tarran »

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: November 11, 2010, 10:43:01 pm »

How long have you been waiting? Task Groups inexperienced with acting in their taskforce(not taskgroup) will take a little bit to understand and execute orders.

Also, the way to tell how experienced a TG is at working with their TF is on the Task Groups window, right of the grade bonus, it says "TF Training".

Also also, there's a Task Force window, you can access it by pressing the button right of the Task Group button on the System Maps window, or by pressing Ctrl+F4.

I fixed it, they had task group ships involved with shipyard orders.

Now time refuses to move more than 5-10 seconds ever since an officer died in an accident. How do I fix this?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: November 11, 2010, 10:48:15 pm »

I don't know, that's not normal behavior. What was the officer doing? If you go into SM mode and open up the event window does it say that the increment is being interrupted by an NPR in combat?

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: November 11, 2010, 10:49:51 pm »

I don't know, that's not normal behavior. What was the officer doing? If you go into SM mode and open up the event window does it say that the increment is being interrupted by an NPR in combat?

It says it's possible. How do I fix it, then?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: November 11, 2010, 10:51:25 pm »

No way to fix it. You'll have to either let the NPRs fight it out, or somehow find the system they're fighting in and delete it entirely.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:05 pm »

No way to fix it. You'll have to either let the NPRs fight it out, or somehow find the system they're fighting in and delete it entirely.

Gah. That's retarded. It shouldn't interrupt my gameplay because the NPC's are slugging it out somewhere down the galaxy's asscrack.

How long is a pulse, then? Like, how long between it automatically changes the turn?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: November 11, 2010, 11:02:26 pm »

Gah. That's retarded. It shouldn't interrupt my gameplay because the NPC's are slugging it out somewhere down the galaxy's asscrack.
The other choice it letting NPRs fight it out un-realistically using calculations and random numbers and have the outcome be... Well... Unrealistic. Personally, I wouldn't mind it using calculations, but at the same time it'd be less... Advanced, if you get what I mean.

How long is a pulse, then? Like, how long between it automatically changes the turn?
Depends. If the ships are firing, likely around 5 seconds. If they're within firing range but not firing, 15 seconds, I think. If they're just near eachother but not in combat yet, 1 hour.

I recommend you just turn on Automated turns, press 5 seconds, and go do something else while you're waiting. Come back in a few minutes and see if it's done. Repeat until you're either sure they're just arsing around and not actually killing eachother, or until they're done killing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3569 on: November 11, 2010, 11:38:46 pm »

If he had the NPR ships just 'autocalc' the battle then how do you know how long the battle took? What happens if you happen to send a ship in during the combat? The combat isn't really happening, though it must take time. What would you see? "Battle here for 3 days, do not enter"?
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 1347