Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813625 times)

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3540 on: October 31, 2010, 10:07:59 am »

I want a game where we can move the PLANETS, ala the puppeteer Fleet of Worlds.
That would be extremely wasteful. Why would you lug around an useless ball of rock. You could fit the whole population of earth into a medium sized asteroid, if you drilled out multiple habitation levels. 75% of earth surface is water, and we only use a small portion of the remaining 25%.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3541 on: October 31, 2010, 10:12:58 am »

I want a game where we can move the PLANETS, ala the puppeteer Fleet of Worlds.
That would be extremely wasteful. Why would you lug around an useless ball of rock. You could fit the whole population of earth into a medium sized asteroid, if you drilled out multiple habitation levels. 75% of earth surface is water, and we only use a small portion of the remaining 25%.
In the book, the puppeteers brought four farming worlds along and had their entire population, some multiple tens of trillions, on their home planet Hearth. They see Earth, which at the time has about 14 billion, as extremely sparsely populated with huge wasteful farms taking up valuable space.

Besides, when has an option had to be useful to be added? Options are good, and the ability to move planets could be as much a weapon as a utility.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: October 31, 2010, 10:30:13 am »

Hmm, I think I will have to read the Larry Niven's Known space. I wanted to read it for quite some time now, I just cant find enough time.

On another subject I have this idea for a game, but I lack any programming skills to make it.
Its called AAWC (working title = ASCII Alien World Colonization).
Basically it would be all ASCII ( DF style) where you would at the beginning equip your colony ship, generate random world and set sail. After arrival you would have to establish new colonies, mine for raw minerals and build factories and generally try to survive. If you ever played Alien Legacy you will know the the playstyle. It would all be turn based as not to tax CPU and there would not be any AI. No aliens, just very realistic simulation of a seed ship. The main and most valuable resource would be colonists ( no more than few hundred) and you would have to take great care for every one of them. I have it all planned out, have been thinking about it for couple of years now. I just cant find anybody with sufficient programming skills to pull it off. It would of course be open source.

At one stage I tried to do it all in excell spread sheet, but run into limitations of the medium.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3543 on: October 31, 2010, 10:46:23 am »

Hmm, I think I will have to read the Larry Niven's Known space. I wanted to read it for quite some time now, I just cant find enough time.

On another subject I have this idea for a game, but I lack any programming skills to make it.
Its called AAWC (working title = ASCII Alien World Colonization).
Basically it would be all ASCII ( DF style) where you would at the beginning equip your colony ship, generate random world and set sail. After arrival you would have to establish new colonies, mine for raw minerals and build factories and generally try to survive. If you ever played Alien Legacy you will know the the playstyle. It would all be turn based as not to tax CPU and there would not be any AI. No aliens, just very realistic simulation of a seed ship. The main and most valuable resource would be colonists ( no more than few hundred) and you would have to take great care for every one of them. I have it all planned out, have been thinking about it for couple of years now. I just cant find anybody with sufficient programming skills to pull it off. It would of course be open source.

At one stage I tried to do it all in excell spread sheet, but run into limitations of the medium.
Why restrict it? If you have an engine capable of that, you have an engine capable of doing half a dozen other games. You could be a director for a mining corporation sent to a newly discovered world to survey for useful minerals, for example. Same basic premise, seed ship and colony building, but success is based on profit and resources sent back home as opposed to used on-site.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:38 am »

Just recently got into playing Aurora, and I've been delighted so far. True, the learning curve is steep and the interface could be more friendly, but ohmigod the DEPTH....

It's also nice to recognize elements of some of my favorite game systems. It's sort of Renegade Legion meets Traveller meets Harpoon. IN SPACE.

I'm on my 12th game or so, but this is the first one that's really made it to a sustainable point (i.e. haven't made any n00b errors yet). Most minerals on Earth have been exhausted, so I have a small batch of asteroid miners making their way through the asteroid belt, while Mars is being steadily terraformed and settled by bioengineered colonists (nothing drastic, just a few tweaks to make them more acclimated to a colder, lower oxygen, lower gravity world). There's civilian mining colonies on Venus and Rhea, and I've expanded surveys out to six systems. Gliese 96, the only one more than a jump away from Sol, had a couple of promising candidates for colonization. But it turned out to be inhabited. Love the way that Aurora handles first contact situations, with all the uncertainty and tension as you try to make sense of sensor readings and actions while you try to establish communication.

First race turned out to be peaceful and diplomatic relations were established. Sent a jump survey team back to Proxima Centauri, which I had already scouted briefly earlier. Contacted a second race, whose ships were much faster and more aggressive than the first race. My survey team couldn't outrun them and got blown to bits. Attempts at communication ultimately failed. Now the only thing left to do is arm ourselves and fight. We don't know why the Centauri attacked us, and we may never know. What we do know is that they're one jump away from our home, they're fast and they're mean. And two decades of peaceful exploration have left us woefully unprepared for war. A crash program has been initiated to develop small, agile fighters that can outrun the attack ships we've seen. We know they use missiles, so CIWS systems are being developed to protect our larger vessels. And we'll need advance warning, so development has begun on sensor buoys that we can deploy in-system near their jump point. Maybe, just maybe, if we can see them first we can give those alien sons-of-bitches a taste of payback.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:48 am »

hmmm would downlaod it and try it out it sounds really good.. buttt i dont liek it that it changes system 32 files thats a big N.O for me unless they change that or i get a crappy pc i will never try it :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3546 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:34 am »

hmmm would downlaod it and try it out it sounds really good.. buttt i dont liek it that it changes system 32 files thats a big N.O for me unless they change that or i get a crappy pc i will never try it :P
You're actually not supposed to overwrite any of your system files...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: November 03, 2010, 10:29:00 am »

yeah i know your not meant to but i think installing the game does sometihng to your system 32 files or from what i have read

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3548 on: November 03, 2010, 10:36:48 am »

yeah i know your not meant to but i think installing the game does sometihng to your system 32 files or from what i have read
It adds the files require to run the game, yeah.  ??? Oh well, enjoy not playing a great game because you're afraid of some mysterious force which may mess up your computer somehow. I can tell you I've had it installed on my Win 7 64 bit machine and my smaller laptop and no mysterious changes have been affected.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: November 03, 2010, 10:49:25 am »

All it does is install and register core DLLs needed to support Visual Basic 6. If you have XP or Vista, you already have newer versions of these. Just answer "Yes" when it asks if you want to keep the newer file. It will do a RegSvr32 call on those files at the end of the install, but since they should already be registered to begin with, this has zero effect.

Trust me, I watched the install like a hawk. It's not doing anything shady.

For me, the 1280x1024 resolution requirement was the biggest problem. I have a widescreen FP that doesn't natively support that res, though my video card does. So I can play it, but it looks all squashed.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: November 03, 2010, 10:53:44 am »

All it does is install and register core DLLs needed to support Visual Basic 6. If you have XP or Vista, you already have newer versions of these. Just answer "Yes" when it asks if you want to keep the newer file. It will do a RegSvr32 call on those files at the end of the install, but since they should already be registered to begin with, this has zero effect.

Trust me, I watched the install like a hawk. It's not doing anything shady.

For me, the 1280x1024 resolution requirement was the biggest problem. I have a widescreen FP that doesn't natively support that res, though my video card does. So I can play it, but it looks all squashed.  :-\

hmmm ok then *thinks* i will try it out then cause it does sound like such a good game, i would like to be able to suck out all the oxygen of an enemy plant then fill it full of cholorine muahaha 3:)..... aurora here i come!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: November 03, 2010, 01:02:15 pm »

Omg we need a dwarf fotress version of planet wide battles. I need to see people coughing up blood from air poison.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: November 03, 2010, 03:37:36 pm »

Fuk i just did everything and said yes to all the system files tried to run game and comes up with a fukkkkk load of errors like about 50 of them  ¬¬

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3553 on: November 03, 2010, 03:39:02 pm »

Fuk i just did everything and said yes to all the system files tried to run game and comes up with a fukkkkk load of errors like about 50 of them  ¬¬
Did you actually do everything, or did you just run the installer? You also have to install the patch and then an update.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: November 03, 2010, 04:03:27 pm »

2012: The once small video game "Aurora" uses the modifications it has made to a large number of people's computers to create a single self-aware system that proceeds to destroy the world. I FIGURED IT OUT!!!  :o

Anyway I've been watching this, but I would like to see it in action first, so anyone know a decent "Let's Play"
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 04:38:56 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 1347