Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813708 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3495 on: October 28, 2010, 08:00:09 pm »

I agree with Rift, the only way you could be in that kind of situation is bad planing, an NPR wiping you on the floor and only leaving you with only a mineral-less planet, or the RNG really, really screwing you over. I mean, for one, the game gives you lots of Sorium from the get-go. Here's a example from a game I generated just for you.

((Note, 1 Sorium translates to 2,000 fuel))

From a brand new (500mil pop) test game, I got 3,360 Sorium already mined, and 36,150 to be mined. Which means I've got 79,020,000 litres of fuel just from earth. And, checking the entire system via SM reveal, I've got 7,357,202 more Sorium (6,569,430 from Saturn) (14,714,404,000 litres) in Sol, excluding Earth. Which is enough to power 73572.02 trips from a 200,000 liter ship.

And here's another example.

From another brand new (500mil pop) test game, I got 2,880 Sorium already mined, and 25,000 to be mined. Which means I've got 55,760,000 liters of fuel just from earth. And, there's also 353,559 more Sorium (707,118,000 litres) in Sol, excluding Earth. Which is enough to power 3535.59 trips from a 200,000 liter ship.

Plus, the game usually just throws tons (pun not intended) of minerals at you every time a new system is generated. Also, Geosurvey teams.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: October 28, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »

yea, if you get a high quality geo-survey team[200+], you can literally create near-infinite resources.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: October 28, 2010, 09:05:30 pm »

For what it's worth, I've yet to run into a situation where the game became so slow as to be unplayable.  I've had no issues with multiple colonies, and come to accept the NPR battles as just a part of the way the game works.  The author has explained the mechanics enough and it's something which is, in my opinion, better than the alternative.  I'd hate an AI which cheated more than this one does, and the fact it mostly plays like we do appeals a great deal to me.
Also, in case anybody's not watching the forum, the author is planning development of a new game, Aurora II, which will ideally eliminate many of the current game's foybles and interface issues, most noteably the resolution requirement.  This is a long term project, but still something to look forward to, along with new versions of Aurora itself of course.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: October 28, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »

On another note, congratulations on your victory, Alway.  It's that kind of wildly improbable story Aurora was designed to tell.  Hopefully your next ships will be as successful.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: October 28, 2010, 10:12:07 pm »

While I get that you're encouraged to expand, it would be nice if resources didn't run out forever, but got stuck at a very low level of production. You would still be better off moving the mines to a new boom-town, but it would mean that you have a marginally useful backup option in the worst case.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: October 28, 2010, 11:25:12 pm »

1. Can't geo teams only find resources 3 times on each planet?

2. I manually input the millions of resources (random number generator) in myself. I have the millions but it just doesn't seem like it's ever enough. Maybe it's just my play style being too resource consuming.

3. Resources are random. Sometimes you start out with little sorium. Unless Steve changed it in one of the patches since I last played.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: October 28, 2010, 11:58:33 pm »

1. Can't geo teams only find resources 3 times on each planet?
No, they can indefinitely find resources if the RNG allows it.
Quote from: Steve
Every time additional minerals are added to the planet, or a deposit is changed to higher accessibility, a check is made to see if the geological survey team decides that further surveys are futile. This check is equal to 150-Team Skill with a minimum of 10, so a team with a skill of 140 or above will minimise the chance that surveys will miss potential deposits.

2. I manually input the millions of resources (random number generator) in myself. I have the millions but it just doesn't seem like it's ever enough. Maybe it's just my play style being too resource consuming.
If you really are running out of millions that fast, then it's very likely your play style. Millions of minerals should last you at the very least several years even in a large empire.

3. Resources are random. Sometimes you start out with little sorium. Unless Steve changed it in one of the patches since I last played.
Such is the evilness of the RNG. If you think you start out with too little Sorium, just cheat more in to Earth, or run the All Minerals function on the system. No one's stopping you, and there's nothing wrong with running the All Minerals function because it's just doing the same exact thing the game does when creating a new system.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: October 29, 2010, 12:17:47 am »

Sometimes I go a century without leaving the sol system :)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: October 29, 2010, 12:18:59 am »

Well then, that explains why you're running out of minerals. :P

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: October 29, 2010, 01:00:49 am »

My biggest mineral sink was always buildings.

Speaking of which, that was probably another source of slowness for me.  I built waaay too many military academies, so I had thousands of officers after a few decades.  I also had an ungodly number of well-trained crewmen, so it wasn't all bad.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: October 29, 2010, 01:17:30 am »

Heh, I wonder how long the game freezes when a bunch of officers are released from the service due when deemed surplus.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: October 29, 2010, 05:40:01 am »

I don't see why people are moaning about running out of resources. It's realistic, and the accessibility does slope down to simulate your miners having to go further and further into the core to find the tiniest scraps of trans-Newtonian material.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: October 29, 2010, 09:12:40 pm »

realistic would be the ability to recycle.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: October 29, 2010, 09:48:28 pm »

Lolwut? The game already allows you to recycle most things (other then buildings, that is. But the thing is that the buildings are going to be useful the entire game so there's no need to recycle them). What else is there that can't be recycled?

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: October 30, 2010, 12:20:22 am »

I haven't played in a while but don't ships only have part of their total mineral cost in their wreckage? And what about sorium wastes? Missiles? The massive amounts of resources spent on repairs?

Random clumps of resources from left over fighting could collect. That would be a good way to recycle.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 1347