Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813508 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3405 on: September 29, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »

why the display indicates that many of the planets in Sol still have survey points (even Earth) even if a GEO Survey ship cancel its order when ordered to do a survey? Because it is survey points only doable by a geo team?
The game still displays the amount of points needed to survey bodies even after they've been surveyed. As far as I know the numbers have nothing to do with geology teams.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: September 29, 2010, 01:08:44 pm »

I don't like how the survey points work.

Instead of having different survey points reveal different parts of the system, it becomes more of a "% completed" type of thing. If you survey half the points, you reveal a random half of the system.

And every system has the same amount of points even if they have few amount of planets.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: September 30, 2010, 09:19:31 am »

thanks Tarran.

Stupid question, why would I want to put EM sensors that can only work if the enemy ship has an active sensor ON or a shield raised, in comparison to a thermal sensor that can detect all ships all time because they have always engines?

Even more stupid, why use active sensors whereas thermal sensors always work and can't be detected? Just a matter of range differential I guess?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: September 30, 2010, 09:51:25 am »

Because they are more effective at detecting colonies, IIRC.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: September 30, 2010, 11:10:40 am »

IIRC:

Active sensors have good range, and when active are good at detecting ships.

Thermal sensors have much lower range than active sensors. They can also be negated with low-emission engines.

EM sensors only work against ships using active sensors/shields, but they're passive and they have good range - sometimes higher than active sensors, which means you can passively detect them before they actively detect you! (They also spot colonies passively at good range.)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: September 30, 2010, 11:38:33 am »

Thermal sensors have much lower range than active sensors.
No they don't. not usually anyway, what kind of behemoths are you building?!

edit: I guess I was wrong, though I could swear I detected TH720 ships on the other side of the asteroid belt (with a planetary sensor, but still...) back when I played.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:49:18 am by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: September 30, 2010, 12:37:46 pm »

Anyone ever pump everything into research speed first? Fighting doesn't really take place until you choose to go to a different system.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: September 30, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »

Downloading now. Any useful tips/tricks/etc for a new player? Is there anything like TinyPirate's DF Tutorial (or "how I learned DF in 4 hours") for this?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: September 30, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »

Read the thread?  Possible after... page... 30-ish?  First lot of pages has a lot of bitching and whining.

If I remember right, Steve has put up some 'tutorials' in his forum.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

cartmann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: September 30, 2010, 04:09:58 pm »

Yeah, plenty of tut's for you to build your knowledge on. What I would recommend  is learning how to create your own player races and systems etc. so you can practice combat and other things you may want to do, as opposed to just mining, researching etc.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: October 01, 2010, 12:23:19 am »

I started with the wiki tutorials and then asked questions

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: October 04, 2010, 09:01:54 am »

I was wondering why there is no unload x colonists order?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: October 04, 2010, 10:21:51 am »

I tried playing. This is one time where Wine is better than Windows - I can set my virtual desktop to 1280x1024 and drag the window when I need to see something not in view. But, no complaining about that.

I played for a bit until I ran into an error that I've completely forgotten the wording of. I think it mentioned ActiveX. After clicking OK, I get a neverending stream of some other error.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: October 04, 2010, 11:08:07 am »

I tried playing. This is one time where Wine is better than Windows - I can set my virtual desktop to 1280x1024 and drag the window when I need to see something not in view. But, no complaining about that.
My WinXP Nvidia drivers are able to be set (and flawlessly show) up to 2048*1536 virtual display on my 1600*1200 with smooth edge scrolling (even in DirectX/OpenGL games), so i think there's no difference between Win and Wine. ;-)
Finis sanctificat media.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: October 21, 2010, 12:19:36 pm »

So I decided to uninstall and reinstall the game to see if it would fix some werd errors I was getting, however after uninstalling it I noticed that the folder was still thre with some piture folder or whateve in it. In a sudden burst of inspired idiocy I decided to delete it. And now when I instll the game again hese folders are not insalled as well an I get alt of errors because of missing pictures. Help?
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 1347