Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813437 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3390 on: September 28, 2010, 11:46:43 am »

Osmosis Jones is right, there is already in the game an assumption that ships accelerating at the speed they are don't transform into a bloody juice the crew, so somehow "inertial compensators" or "gravity whatever" exists.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: September 28, 2010, 11:59:35 am »

Can anyone show me some screenshots? I can't find them since they moved the forum.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: September 28, 2010, 03:21:23 pm »

Re; Gravity discussion, what was the fluff for how they ignored acceleration effects again? I mean, the hulls are built with TN elements, sure, but how the hell do you get a ship up to the 1.3c or whatever the photonic drive could do without pulling ridiculous g's on the crew?
Osmosis Jones is right, there is already in the game an assumption that ships accelerating at the speed they are don't transform into a bloody juice the crew, so somehow "inertial compensators" or "gravity whatever" exists.

The T part, about TN materiel, means that its beyond Newtonian Physics, this means that the laws of motion, and the law of gravity do not apply to these crafts.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: September 28, 2010, 03:36:23 pm »

I would love Lagrange habitats.

It's an interesting concept, but what value would Lagrange habitats be? Orbital Habitats let you colonize distant worlds, but that's so you can mine/build on them. Save for an above-average concentration of asteroids, what good would an L4/L5 station be?

Beyond the already mentioned research station, there also materials that can only be manufactured in micro gravity. It's as a good excuse as any, I think.
!!&!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3394 on: September 28, 2010, 04:04:30 pm »

I would love Lagrange habitats.

It's an interesting concept, but what value would Lagrange habitats be? Orbital Habitats let you colonize distant worlds, but that's so you can mine/build on them. Save for an above-average concentration of asteroids, what good would an L4/L5 station be?

Beyond the already mentioned research station, there also materials that can only be manufactured in micro gravity. It's as a good excuse as any, I think.
I don't know how much that would make sense in a game where everything is based on Trans-Newtonian materials which are unaffected by gravity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3395 on: September 28, 2010, 05:37:38 pm »

Why can't one of these trans-newtonian materials just funnel gravity into one location instead of refusing to conform to it, forming gravity wells?

Or how 'bout that dark matter? Find a way to harvest that and make gravity wells out of it.
Because it's not your game, and the person who made the game doesn't want artificial gravity. Nobody is arguing that artificial gravity cannot exist in a sci-fi game, just not this one.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3396 on: September 28, 2010, 06:10:26 pm »

You're stating that my idea is null because it's not my game and yet you're vouching for the implementation of habitats.

Am I missing something here?
Yes. Your idea doesn't make sense according to the game's fiction and lore. Mine is just a logical extension of an existing game mechanic.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3397 on: September 28, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »

Oh, sorry, between having a plethora of different transnewtonian materials that all do the same thing yet are used specifically for certain construction, jumpgates, mass drivers, and complete planet terraforming, I wasn't aware there wasn't room for something as menial as gravity. My bad.

Thanks for telling me I was out of whack in your first post!
Your idea could very well go into the game some time, I'm not the one who decides that. If you really want a gravity funnel or dark matter mining in the game, e-mail steve and present your idea.

My point was that you are arguing for entirely new mechanics which do not currently exist in the game, and go against the game's setting and lore. I'm not trying to get you to drop your idea, or even trying to shout you down, just informing you of my opinion.

I'm not sure why you're taking such a defensive posture, I can only assume that you think I'm attacking your idea which isn't the case. I'm all for crazy sci-fi gravity funnels and mining dark matter out of suns. I just don't think Steve will put them in when he can't be arsed to even change the interface resolution.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: September 28, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »

I always kind of assumed tractor beams worked with gravity, so... Dunno.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: September 28, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »

I always kind of assumed tractor beams worked with gravity, so... Dunno.

Well, since you can't focus gravity, manipulate artificially, tractor beams couldn't use gravity.  Thats another instance where the TN elements all for things which would be impossible elsewise.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3400 on: September 28, 2010, 09:39:43 pm »

Even if one could focus and use gravity as a tractor beam, it wouldn't work on a ship composed of Trans-Newtonian elements.  :D

Gah, you're right. I got defensive and hostile again. Opening your response to my post with "because it's not your game" really, really irked me, though your intentions probably weren't to do so. I do apologize for getting nasty.

I've got to stop doing that.
I'm sorry I irked you, and you're right it wasn't my intent. The point of that statement was that the owner of the game has decided certain things did not fit in the paradigm the game is operating under. Were it your game, you could (and likely would) change that. I'm glad we worked that out though, I was a bit baffled by your response.  :)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: September 28, 2010, 10:37:47 pm »

Actually, don't active sensors use grav pulses?

Active Sensors

Active sensors which currently (v4.91) consist of grav pulse sensors allow a ship to detect other ships equal to or above it's stated resolution size within it's stated range. The tradeoff is that progressively stronger active sensors can themselves be detected by passive EM sensors, which can prove a serious tactical vulnerability.
from here.

That shows at least some degree of manipulation of gravity, certainly far more than we as a species will ever be capable of.

Re; Gravity discussion, what was the fluff for how they ignored acceleration effects again? I mean, the hulls are built with TN elements, sure, but how the hell do you get a ship up to the 1.3c or whatever the photonic drive could do without pulling ridiculous g's on the crew?

The T part, about TN materiel, means that its beyond Newtonian Physics, this means that the laws of motion, and the law of gravity do not apply to these crafts.

That doesn't change the fact that the crew themselves are NOT transNewtonian; e.g. the ship can happily fly off at some insane rate, but all the non TN contents is going to be smeared against the aft bulkhead. Btw, I'm not bringing this up to be a dick, or even because I think there should be grav-manipulation tech, rather I just love dissecting the physics behind game universes.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: September 29, 2010, 01:36:52 am »

Here is a screenshot for the person who requested one.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 29, 2010, 03:34:08 am »

That doesn't change the fact that the crew themselves are NOT transNewtonian; e.g. the ship can happily fly off at some insane rate, but all the non TN contents is going to be smeared against the aft bulkhead. Btw, I'm not bringing this up to be a dick, or even because I think there should be grav-manipulation tech, rather I just love dissecting the physics behind game universes.
The game pulls off a number of ticks (such as not changing mass when taking on significant amount of cargo/ammunition, not veering off course when firing projectiles (f.e.:out of rail-guns) at relativistic speeds (you can hit an object 300'000km away in under 5 seconds- that's at least c/5), not splattering the crew, and most importantly (showing the limits of the technology, by not pulling off a trick) having no gravity altering tech) that would suggest that TN elements deal exclusively with eliminating inertia (as a field, inside of a box) rather than gravity. An observant reader will immediately see a potential for a perpetual motion machine. Sadly we know those to be impossible so noone ever tries  ::).
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: September 29, 2010, 12:10:37 pm »

why the display indicates that many of the planets in Sol still have survey points (even Earth) even if a GEO Survey ship cancel its order when ordered to do a survey? Because it is survey points only doable by a geo team?
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 1347