Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813440 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3375 on: September 27, 2010, 05:46:02 am »

By the way, how it is planned thus to have a base on The Moon (in the real world I mean), if low gravity is such a problem?
The reason a base is being planed is because in Real Life currently we don't know if 1/6th (.17g) of the earth's gravity would be a problem or not(since all the tests to date were done in zero g environments) and also because we want to find out. It could be okay, but it could also not be okay. Aurora considers flat out anything lower or higher then the racial limit to be a problem. And the moon happens to be bellow the limit.

Anyway, I'm not the best person to ask. You'd want to ask Steve those kinds of questions since, well, he created the game and thus must have his reasons.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3376 on: September 27, 2010, 05:49:27 am »

If it really bothers you this much, either use the ability to create a new species of your people who can survive in low gravity or build an orbital population center at luna and call it a domed colony in your mind.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: September 27, 2010, 05:53:59 am »

Mmmh, I can understand what you say ... because gravity can't be altered on the surface of a planet, you say that infrastructures can also represent Domes. Yes, I can accept that ... except that this is a sci-fi game which has technologies like jump gates and shields. So why not gravity generators? And thus, I demand (I'm joking) that infrastructures also allow the creation of artificial gravity, so I can colonize Luna with them.

By the way, how it is planned thus to have a base on The Moon (in the real world I mean), if low gravity is such a problem?

Its a huge fucking problem. As huge as the radiation exposure. They'll be loosing bone and muscle mass every day their in micro and less then one g gravity.
They'll have to work out hard for several hours each day, everyday. Even then, their max time on the base is going to be less then 100 days.

edit & addenda: I believe that what I'm trying to say is ... I can with enough infrastructures have colonists on worlds that are ante chambers to Hell, like a world with a temperature of 400°C, extreme tectonic, atmospheric pressure of 100 made of sulfuric acid ... right?

But I can't drop a domed outpost for say my scientists on Luna. Why? Because gravity is not ok...

that's my problem... This is a sci-fi game. I would have expected that there was also a tech allowing to control gravity, or whatever, so I can put some closed labs on Luna...

Why?

It would go against the basis of the game technological basis, of transnewtonian elements. These new elements, which allows for interstellar travel, and lasers, and shields, and all the other Sci Fi, completely ignores gravity. IE no gravity generators.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 05:58:02 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3378 on: September 27, 2010, 05:55:41 am »

Exactly. The same rationale could be used for anything. It's a sci-fi game, why can't I shoot lasers out of my ass and crush planets with my mind?

Because it doesn't make sense in the Aurora paradigm. He has a setting and a specific set of rules he is working off of.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: September 27, 2010, 08:49:21 am »

that would make no sense!! Your ass should be used to crush planets and your mind would be shooting lasers, not the reverse, you got it wrong  :P

Ok seriously, I have questions. Do you have answers?

1. what can be the interest for a stat like a factory bonus on a naval officer?
2. are civilians companies able to refit their ships to newer models?
3. if I destroy/scrap a ship at Earth, will the minerals be returned?
4. what does (A) and (T) means beside a ship?
5. Does REP ground units have a special role? More generally, why build REP as their stats are lower than marines and they are costlier... Do heavy armor (low tech) have a special roles? Do any units except engineer have a special role?
6. what is the role of fleet training? I'm training my fleet since some months but fleet experience remains at 0.

thanks...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3380 on: September 27, 2010, 09:55:05 am »

2. No, as far as I know civilian shipping lines will use a ship once purchased until they retire it. They don't do refits, AFAIK.
3. If you destroy a ship, it will create a wreck which must be salvaged by a ship with a salvager. If you scrap it at the shipyard, you will get some of the minerals back. I don't know the % retention.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: September 27, 2010, 10:19:25 am »

that would make no sense!! Your ass should be used to crush planets and your mind would be shooting lasers, not the reverse, you got it wrong  :P

Ok seriously, I have questions. Do you have answers?

4. what does (A) and (T) means beside a ship?
5. Does REP ground units have a special role? More generally, why build REP as their stats are lower than marines and they are costlier... Do heavy armor (low tech) have a special roles? Do any units except engineer have a special role?
6. what is the role of fleet training? I'm training my fleet since some months but fleet experience remains at 0.

thanks...
1. Most (if not all) of your administrators will come from naval positions, and once they are an administrator, their bonuses will be applied to the population they administrate.
5. I never messed with ground units that much, but I believe they allow you replace empty spots in combat battalions without going through costly training. So before a big campaign you stockpile replacement battalions so that you are not training completely new infantry halfway through the war.
6. It primarily decreases the delay between when orders are given, and when they are executed. There is an option in the beginning to turn it off, effectively having perfect crews.

I have to agree forsaken, reading all of this again really makes me want to give Aurora another try. Too bad I no longer have the right kind of screen. :(
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: September 27, 2010, 02:54:59 pm »

Factory bonus makes jumpgates build faster. At some point officer generation code was edited to make sure that you never had an officer with a stat that would never get used, such as a civilian administrator with a ground combat bonus.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3383 on: September 27, 2010, 10:17:54 pm »

Presumably Steve will add factory ships in at some point as well. Right now its pretty much not possible to have a ship produce anything like a factory as all of that is tied to populations and populations are tied to system bodies (moons, asteroids, planets, etc). Orbital Habitats were shoehorned in by simply adding to a population, you cannot just park a habitat in deep space and have people on it though that should be technically possible.

I would love Lagrange habitats.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: September 28, 2010, 12:08:19 am »

It's an interesting concept, but what value would Lagrange habitats be? Orbital Habitats let you colonize distant worlds, but that's so you can mine/build on them. Save for an above-average concentration of asteroids, what good would an L4/L5 station be?

To answer my own question, potentially defensive outposts. And there does tend to be a lot of 'roids in the area. Still, unless space-based factories are implemented (and there's some decent reason to use them over planet-side ones), it seems like Lagrange habitats would be slightly... useless.  :(

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: September 28, 2010, 02:15:56 am »

Umm, so hi, I decided to try this out, it looks pretty cool. BUT, my resolution is to small and I can't change it. I've tried to go to resolution and advanced and monitors and uncheck the box but the box is greyed out for some reason(this is a laptop btw). I;ve tried the 360screen thing they put up there but that only allows for scrolling horizontally, not vertically. And it's vertically that I need to scroll. Help?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:54:36 am by Demonic Spoon »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: September 28, 2010, 02:25:18 am »

@Demonic Spoon, there are programs you can download to get around that (ResizeEnable seems to be popular IIRC), but otherwise there isn't much you can do. Steve doesn't want to rewrite the display code anytime soon, so we're kind of stuck with it as is.

Re; Gravity discussion, what was the fluff for how they ignored acceleration effects again? I mean, the hulls are built with TN elements, sure, but how the hell do you get a ship up to the 1.3c or whatever the photonic drive could do without pulling ridiculous g's on the crew?

Re; deep space habitats... Lagrange habitats not so much, but a deep space civ resupply/manufacture centre would be damn useful in large empty systems. Back when I used to play, I had one massive, practically empty system, with all my jump gates huge distances from anything remotely colonisable. Given that it was something of a interstellar hub, it would of been nice to be able to have a permanent station there.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: September 28, 2010, 02:26:59 am »

Thanks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3388 on: September 28, 2010, 09:27:58 am »

It's an interesting concept, but what value would Lagrange habitats be? Orbital Habitats let you colonize distant worlds, but that's so you can mine/build on them. Save for an above-average concentration of asteroids, what good would an L4/L5 station be?

To answer my own question, potentially defensive outposts. And there does tend to be a lot of 'roids in the area. Still, unless space-based factories are implemented (and there's some decent reason to use them over planet-side ones), it seems like Lagrange habitats would be slightly... useless.  :(
Defensive outposts is one possibility, but the major attraction of Lagrange habitats is that Lagrange points are where the gravity of two large bodies cancel each other out. Even in high orbit, you have some gravity. Not much, granted, but you do have some. That is why it is called a microgravity environment. Lagrange points are the only places in the solar system where you can have very-nearly zero gravity.

Why does this matter? Some experiments require the absolute minimum outside interference possible. Lagrange habitats would be ideal for scientific research.

In addition, a Lagrange habitat would need minimal station-keeping drives because they would naturally stay in place due to the gravity curve.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: September 28, 2010, 10:58:50 am »

In addition, a Lagrange habitat would need minimal station-keeping drives because they would naturally stay in place due to the gravity curve.

Not quite; at the L-points, g ~= 0, yes, but the equilibrium is an unstable one. If you slightly displace the station, g increases, and pulls the station still further off the L-point. That said, any g's will start off miniscule, and thus it wouldn't take much to maintain position assuming constant monitoring of said position.

So yes on only needing weak position thrusters, no on the naturally staying in place.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1347