Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813619 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3315 on: September 24, 2010, 07:04:01 am »

Hi, it's me again  :D

I found the button dedicated to Missile creation, so I made one, a size 6 missile

Then I made a Size 6 missile launcher, and a Missile Fire Control with a resolution of 80 (it has a 25m kms range, should be enough?)

Then, I switched to Space Master mode and gave me the 3 research projets: the missile, the launcher, the fire control. When I call the technology list window, they are all shown as given.

I then go to ship design, and none of them appears?? The only new item that appears is my new Size 6 magazine. I closed all windows, even restarted the game ... The 3 items are well registered in the list of techs I know, but they don't appears on my component list ... darn. Any idea?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: September 24, 2010, 07:15:52 am »

Then I made a Size 6 missile launcher, and a Missile Fire Control with a resolution of 80 (it has a 25m kms range, should be enough?)
Depends on your tech level. If you're using early technology then I guess it's pretty good (I usually never design anything until I'm at a pretty good tech level). At higher tech levels I'd go for something like 200+m km range.

I then go to ship design, and none of them appears?? The only new item that appears is my new Size 6 magazine. I closed all windows, even restarted the game ... The 3 items are well registered in the list of techs I know, but they don't appears on my component list ... darn. Any idea?
Not really. You sure they aren't there? Did you check the other sections of ship building? Did you obsolete them by accident? Because I SM'd tech before and I never had a problem.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: September 24, 2010, 12:01:09 pm »

It is working! I have designed 4 missiles Corvette, Thunderer class. The Terran Navy is rather proud of these tin boxes  :P

I have set them to make a tour on repeat of the inner planets, just for fun... I also discovered that you can have the program run on auto until an important (aka interrupt) event occurs, and you can even have the event window open and refreshed ... so you don't miss anything!

Now, I'm wondering about something, do I have to keep my civilians shipyards idle so that the civilian companies order civilians ships, or not?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: September 24, 2010, 01:47:51 pm »

Now, I'm wondering about something, do I have to keep my civilians shipyards idle so that the civilian companies order civilians ships, or not?
I'm pretty sure you don't have to.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3319 on: September 24, 2010, 01:49:25 pm »

I don't actually play any more but IIRC civilian ships just sorta pop in once they have enough wealth. You may need to give them some starter funds.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: September 24, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »

I don't actually play any more but IIRC civilian ships just sorta pop in once they have enough wealth. You may need to give them some starter funds.

Nah, I'm fairly certain they just pop up of their own accord, no need for funding (it's been a while since I played, but I don't even remember an option to give them starter funds!).

That said, don't expect civvie ships to start showing up immediately. Remember, this is advanced tech researched in government laboratories, utilizing rare materials dredged from the inner depths of the planet. It'll be a while before private companies obtain both the relevant technologies and a sufficient supply of material to manufacture their own ships. So don't count on the civilian sector picking up the slack for a while.  ;)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3321 on: September 24, 2010, 02:24:31 pm »

When I played you could grant them wealth on the corporation screen.

And yes, ships will not even appear until there is a civilian niche to be filled, such as contracts or population movement.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: September 25, 2010, 12:34:07 am »

Sure enough, I downloaded that resize thing. I can't see the bottom of nearly ANY screens, no matter what way I twist it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: September 25, 2010, 12:52:44 am »

Sure enough, I downloaded that resize thing. I can't see the bottom of nearly ANY screens, no matter what way I twist it.
Hm... I can't seem replicate my experiences with ResizeEnable since now I've got a tall enough screen to play Aurora without resizing now so it likely won't respond to resizing the same as a short screen would, so I can't really help you there. But I think I remember fixing that problem when I still used a short screen by shortening (more then necessary to see the entire window) then heightening windows until I can see the bottom buttons, or by shortening the height of the windows while the bottom of the window is past the bottom of the screen then pulling the window upwards and then heightening the windows.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: September 25, 2010, 12:57:10 am »

When I shorten the window, its the bottom that gets the info lost. So i'm not sure what you mean....

EDIT: And then when I make it bigger, the non-important stuff up the top gets re-added?...

EDIT: ARG. This is SO DAMN... ARG. How hard is it to make a GUI thats not huge and sucks? I mean honestly.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:11:20 am by nuker w »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: September 25, 2010, 01:19:33 am »

I havent played in a wii, but I remember there being a few steps:

Nah, I'm fairly certain they just pop up of their own accord, no need for funding (it's been a while since I played, but I don't even remember an option to give them starter funds!).

That said, don't expect civvie ships to start showing up immediately. Remember, this is advanced tech researched in government laboratories, utilizing rare materials dredged from the inner depths of the planet. It'll be a while before private companies obtain both the relevant technologies and a sufficient supply of material to manufacture their own ships. So don't count on the civilian sector picking up the slack for a while.  ;)

First you need civilian class ships designed. (Yes, it does mean that you need design the civilian ships to, though I never found this a worry.)

Then you can found private corps, or fund previous corps. Corps will spontaneously in relation to yer economy. The corps will exist for a bit first until they haven enough BP?? (I think), in order to buy one of yer civvie ships. To help them alone, you can also just give them money so that they'll do this.

And for the most part, they'll be autonomous. The thing that I recall, is that they're really good at transporting colonist, and almost decent at transporting infrastructure. 

I also dont recall Cargo ships or Colony ships (with jump drives) being able to transverse to other systems. I do recall planetary surveyors being able to do so.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: September 25, 2010, 01:25:22 am »

When I shorten the window, its the bottom that gets the info lost.
Do you mean the text disappears? Or do you mean something else (please explain better or show a screenshot)?

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: September 25, 2010, 01:30:34 am »

Ok. When I shorten the box, from what ever side, its always the bottom that loses the text/info/buttons. How that works, I have no clue.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: September 25, 2010, 01:44:46 am »

Ok, so everything is in for civilian ships then ... I even gave them a bit of funding, and civ classes are designed. I do remember from a note in the main forum (where I can't post because my registration is still pending approval since 5 days!) that they travel to others systems now.

On another note, let's be honest ... Aurora interface is not a marvel to behold, but I prefer it over Dwarf Fortress. At least the guy (Steve) from Aurora knows what is a mouse and a windowed control, if you follow me  ;)

Back to the game, I don't understand stuff around jump gate and jump drive. I designed an engine which is hyper capable, but the scout bearing it can't travel an explored jump gate, why? Is it related to 'hyper limit'? That this engine don't use jump gate but after the hyper limit accelerate to hyper speed?

Then that would mean that I need a jump drive instead, in addition to regular engine?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3329 on: September 25, 2010, 02:01:07 am »

At least the guy (Steve) from Aurora knows what is a mouse and a windowed control, if you follow me  ;)
Too bad he refuses to make the interface scale to monitor size.
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 1347