Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813622 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3300 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »

Yeah, they sent out an email a short while ago saying there were some problems with forums (I think it was getting flooded with spammers, only glanced at the letter) and they'd be offline for a bit.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: September 10, 2010, 03:38:23 pm »

But I don't want to have only 1 enemy the entire game.
Would you rather have the game running at 5 second intervals forever?

Why doesnt the game just churn through the five second intervals silently in the background? That way time advances, the battle plays out the same, and the player dosnt notice anything(except maybe a slightly longer processing time)

Because that would delay the battle, if it was taking place in a system one wormhole away, and you were skipping years ahead while the battle was only about 30 minutes in, you would be either jumping back in time or forcing a conclusion if you went through the wormhole.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: September 10, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

Hi,
Actually, the forum switched from using PHPBB to SMF, due to some problems on their host.  The temporary URL is http://aurora2.pentarch.org.  The forum administrator has indicated it will be switched back to http://aurora.pentarch.org as soon as possible.
A note: in order to log in to the new forum, you'll need to reset your passwords, and possibly profile avatars as well.  This is all in the note sent out yesterday.
Hope this helps,
Zack.

Thendash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: September 14, 2010, 08:51:31 pm »

Wow, I'm starting to get into this game. I really like how you design your own ships and the parts for the ships. But dang it sure is complicated! I think my major problem is just figuring out what to do, there's so much information provided about everything that I don't know whether I should be trying to improve something or if it's already good enough.
Thendash's Livestream

This game could honestly give out hand jobs for free and people would still bitch.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #3304 on: September 15, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »

I've had a cursory glance through the Play With Your Buddies thread but couldn't find any movement in the LP threads. I was wondering if anyone had a multiplayer game running, or if there were people who'd be interested in taking part in (or hosting) one?

A lot of the problems with NPR 5 second spam could be averted if the only other players were all Human, with someone who wasn't actively playing, taking on the role of the SM.

Though I'm not sure how comfortable the MP mechanism is in practice, given that one person would have to do a lot of admin work to keep the game rolling, and wouldn't even be getting a chance to play in the game (though watching the game might be fun, depending on how many people were playing and what was going on).

Thoughts?

P.S. If this has been discussed at length in the past on this thread, my humble apologies for not reading back to check, but 222 pages seems quite daunting!

muwahahaha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: September 15, 2010, 08:32:05 pm »

I dont think theres been much, if any, discussion into an actual multiplayer game for, I assume, the reasons you stated. As far as the LP thread(s), there was a notable lack of interest combined with inevitable differences of opinion primarily in ship design (some people like super fast paper, others like ships made out of invulneratanium that move slower than a star).

As far as this thread goes, most of the posts seem to be revolving around a few things like the interface not scaling and the aforementioned 5 second spam. Unfortunately near the start of the thread Steve himself posted, was met by some criticism that he seemed to take the wrong way and left saying he would never come back.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #3306 on: September 16, 2010, 01:16:07 am »

Aye, I was about in the beginning of the thread. In fairness to Steve, people were flaming him pretty heavily, calling him an idiot and shit this, shit that... hard to take a direct insult the wrong way ;) I think Toady or Threetoe removed some of the flames after a few of us posted saying it was getting out of hand.

Though, on the flip side, some people did make some valid and well worded arguments about the value of changing the UI, which I felt Steve reacted overly defensively to. Though I defend his right to design a game he's making for himself, but just letting other people enjoy if they want to, in any way he wants. I guess I just invest more effort in not coming across like I'm taking MY ball and going home. Even if that's exactly what I'm doing >.> <.<

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: September 24, 2010, 01:44:47 am »

I got several questions about the game, but the one and foremost is: why my production is stalled?

Perhaps some of you can help me? This is a new game and I ordered my factories to start building a research lab at full speed, and (just to see) my ordnance factories to produce some ICBM.

The initial date, when I was at January 1st was July 1st for the lab and just one day for the ICBM.

I advance some days ... and now the date is July 4th and again one day ahead for the ICBM. Weird no? I guess I have enough stocks (this is initial Sol) and the program tell me the ETA, but it get pushed ... so I'm confused.

TIA!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: September 24, 2010, 02:29:52 am »

Wait, you said you advanced some days? I hardly consider "a few days" to be a few months. So I'm assuming you meant January 4th instead of July 4th and you just made a typo mistake.

I think the game does production and such every 5 days. The reason it says something like "January 2 2025" instead of the actual date of it's completion is because, if the game actually calculated production each day it would be that exact date. But in truth it doesn't, it calculates every 5 days after the last calculation instead. So every time you reach that supposed date it pushes it up again and again until it reaches a date that's 5 or more days after the last calculation. So, for example, I have four missiles that are due in 3 days. The game won't calculate the building until it reaches a 5 day increment. So If my missiles were supposedly going to be completed at January 23, they would actually be built at January 25. And if I advance one day at the time, the game will compensate for me being in that date by pushing the supposed completion date up by one day, and will continue until the needed increment. So If I advance from 20 to 23, it would bump up the finishing date to 24. If I continued to 24, it would bump up to 25. If I advance to 25, the game would calculate the construction, and thus the missiles would finally be built. But as I said the calculation date is 5 days after the last calculation. (Note: After this point all this is speculated, I've got no proof, but I don't see any other explanations) The normal even 5 day calculation can be moved by interrupts. So, for example, if one of my 30 day increments were interrupted down to 8 days, the game would calculate a 5 day increment and the average date of calculation would be moved upwards by 3 days.

Anyway, all you have to do is advance one more day until it's July January 5th and your missiles should be built.

I think the way to change the calculation increments is by the "Construction Cycle Time" option. By setting it lower to, like, 80000, it would possibly calculate every day. I'm not sure though because I never tried it myself. The problem with doing this is that each one day increment could possibly take as long to process as a 5 day increment. But then again, I'm not sure because I've never tried it myself.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: September 24, 2010, 05:05:13 am »

That's it, thanks so much, I really believed there was something in this daunting game I was unaware of...

I reduced to one day btw the production cycle.

I would like to ask others questions here, while waiting for my forum approval at the official forum ... for example I have a scout with
Active Search Sensor MR12-R100 (1)     GPS 2000     Range 12.0m km    Resolution 100

This is what is called a 'scanner' in simpler games, right?  8) I mean, it is used to detect ships and moving bodies?
Is it possible to display a radius showing its range by the way?

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: September 24, 2010, 05:20:42 am »

Last time I played...  :o Holy crap. THE WINDOWS ARE WAAAY TO BIG. Anyway, how can I fix it? I'm on shite Vista and I used Resize and 360 to try to make them smaller. Nothing. Advise?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: September 24, 2010, 05:38:35 am »

1:This is what is called a 'scanner' in simpler games, right?  8) I mean, it is used to detect ships and moving bodies?

2:Is it possible to display a radius showing its range by the way?
1:Yes, it detects ships of size 100(5000 tons) or higher at 12m km. It's simple. However, there's a catch; it can detect ships smaller then the limit, but at a much reduced range.

2:In the Sensors tab in the left hand side of the System Map screen there's a "Show Active Sensor Ranges" box. Select it and you'll be able to see the max ranges of your Active Sensors. Remember though, you won't see any difference if your Active Sensors aren't on.

Last time I played...  :o Holy crap. THE WINDOWS ARE WAAAY TO BIG. Anyway, how can I fix it? I'm on shite Vista and I used Resize and 360 to try to make them smaller. Nothing. Advise?
You're trying to resize it without ResizeEnable? That won't work, you need ResizeEnable to resize the windows as Aurora's windows won't resize without the hack.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: September 24, 2010, 05:48:02 am »

I said I USED ResizeEnable. And it didn't work last time. As it is anyway, I need to wait till I get my broadband working again to download this.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: September 24, 2010, 06:14:08 am »

I said I USED ResizeEnable. And it didn't work last time. As it is anyway, I need to wait till I get my broadband working again to download this.
Sorry, I was kinda confused by you shortening it to just "Resize".

Anyway, I wonder why ResizeEnable won't work. It works fine on my computer (which is also a Vista so that can't be the problem). Did you extract everything including the DLL (not questioning your intelligence, just wondering)? Does the program even start (does it show a icon in your system tray)? When moving your mouse over the edges of the windows do you see your mouse changing into a resize cursor? Did you ever try removing then reinstalling the program? Did you ever try putting/moving the program in a folder on your desktop?

If yes to all of them, then I'm utterly, utterly stumped. If no to any of them, then try them.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: September 24, 2010, 06:41:43 am »

Thanks about the Sensors thing Tarran. I wonder how I could have missed the tab.

I'm trying to design a missile corvette. I know very well that it won't be of any use with the starting techs I have, but that's just for fun. But ... questions and problems.

I understand that ICBM are for defense platforms, so lets forget about them.

I need to design a missile, problem the research project don't list missiles as a category.

I also need to design a magazine and a missile launcher, this is done and they are added to my corvette.

Then I need a Missile Fire Control. What parameters should I choose exactly? A resolution of 20? I quite don't know.

But for now, I'm halted, as I don't have any missile to load on my launcher... Any idea? How I design a missile, what parameters should I seek for a Missile fire control?
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 1347