Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813704 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3270 on: August 12, 2010, 05:55:44 am »

Yeah, it does have a lot of stuff involved. Also: The pace of the game at peacetime is quite slow (although, due to combat, it's sometimes even slower at wartime). I'm not surprised you didn't like it, you either get past the huge amount of management, and enjoy the game. Or don't and dislike the game.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: August 12, 2010, 06:01:58 am »

It seems like an intuitive idea, though. I mean, the amount of depth it looked like it had was amazing - unfortunately, this is also one of my major turn-offs about the game. This is coming from an avid DF player, who plays without a tileset or third party programs (I can honestly say I love DF's interface, and ASCII is much easier to understand than tilesets). Crazy stuff.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: August 12, 2010, 06:06:47 am »

Yeah, I know, it's extremely complex. But then again, wasn't Dwarf Fortress the first time you played it? :P

I suggest you check out the fictions though, even if you don't play the game, they can be really interesting.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: August 12, 2010, 06:09:00 am »

wasn't Dwarf Fortress the first time you played it? :P

Funny, that - not at all. I had an extremely easy time understanding DF. A couple of things, like metalworking, I didn't get worked out until later, but all the rudimentary stuff was a cakewalk.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: August 12, 2010, 10:19:03 am »

Yeah, I know, it's extremely complex. But then again, wasn't Dwarf Fortress the first time you played it? :P

It's not that Aurora is complex, to be honest it's not really that complex at all but that is another point. The difficulty, I find anyway, is that the interface is painfully hard to use and unstable and there is too much data in your face when you first start.

DF does suffer from the data issues a little but not to the same extent, a lot of the screens you might not even see until you need them.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3275 on: August 13, 2010, 09:41:10 am »

Aurora is like a spreadsheet that you play as a game. Data data everywhere. It can be quite confusing until you figure out what it all means.

I still enjoy it though. The thing that has stopped me playing lately is the wormhole addition. Those things keep popping up in Sol. The first time it was kinda cool and I managed to fight them off for a while, but after a while it just became tedious since not only did they keep attacking Sol but they appeared in my two adjacent systems too. Instead of building up to explore the stars and meet the NPRs it just turned into Wormhole Defense Force.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: August 13, 2010, 09:56:28 am »

This (the wormholes) is why I haven't been playing for a while. At the moment you can turn them off, but you also turn precursors and another thing off. In the next version you will be able to choose which ones you want turned on, which will probably make me play again.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: August 15, 2010, 12:04:48 am »

Wormholes will no longer be game breakers in the 5.2, so you might not want to turn them off.

Also, Steve plans to make 5.2 the next "stable" version.
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: August 15, 2010, 04:44:51 am »

This game gives me various types of gasms but I hate having to bump my resolution up, it makes everything hard to read.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3279 on: August 15, 2010, 05:14:00 am »

This game gives me various types of gasms but I hate having to bump my resolution up, it makes everything hard to read.
You have summed up the entire thread.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3280 on: August 15, 2010, 03:39:45 pm »

Yea, this game would be a pain on a small monitor or laptop.

Luckily I have a decent sized LCD desktop, so playing it is easy enough.

I haven't been playing lately, though - Shores of Hazeron has me sucked in lol.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: August 15, 2010, 06:15:27 pm »

to be honest when i get them i simply turn SM on and *cheat* my way till they die thats IF they spawn in sol, it happent once only. All the other time i had massive fleet picketing the wormhole and waiting them, with some Slow moving massive weapon platform with massive amount of Anti-missile defense system, so their torp get wasted. BUT!!! i found a non-cheat way to stop their torpedoes!

First you need massive amount of size 1 missile and simply spam them with 20-30 missile per wave shooting each 5 second, they will turn their torp into anti-missile system, while your fighter get closer and real missile strike them too. You can safely get into weapon range with FAC so as long you do have missile launching.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: August 17, 2010, 02:46:59 pm »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: August 19, 2010, 04:26:33 pm »

This sounds cool, but how do you play it at a smaller resolution?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: August 19, 2010, 04:29:09 pm »

You can't unfortunately, unless you get ResizeEnable, extend your desktop past it's limit (XP only) or you can check this thread and see if you can find something.

Good luck!
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 1347