Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813796 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3240 on: June 30, 2010, 06:42:46 pm »

Also, there is no fix i've seen for win7/vista laptop screens. Resize enable and all that crap only works on XP, and my graphics card doesn't do simulated higher res.
Resize Enable works on my Vista. Don't know why it doesn't work on yours. If all else fails, grab a desktop screen.
Definitely doesn't work on win7, unless someone knows a fix.
Huh, strange. According to this page it works on windows 7 without a problem.

Even the Aurora community says so.

Well, it must be something else. Do you run a 64Bit or 32Bit system? Does the program have an icon in the tray? Or does it not start at all?

Guess i better specify.

It does not work on 64 bit win7/vista. And unlike the dll fix that is posted in OP that I came up with, no amount of screwing around can get it to work as far as I know.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: June 30, 2010, 09:06:22 pm »

Also, there is no fix i've seen for win7/vista laptop screens. Resize enable and all that crap only works on XP, and my graphics card doesn't do simulated higher res.
Resize Enable works on my Vista. Don't know why it doesn't work on yours. If all else fails, grab a desktop screen.
Definitely doesn't work on win7, unless someone knows a fix.
Huh, strange. According to this page it works on windows 7 without a problem.

Even the Aurora community says so.

Well, it must be something else. Do you run a 64Bit or 32Bit system? Does the program have an icon in the tray? Or does it not start at all?

Guess i better specify.

It does not work on 64 bit win7/vista. And unlike the dll fix that is posted in OP that I came up with, no amount of screwing around can get it to work as far as I know.
That's strange. It works 100% on my 64Bit... Well, are you using laptops or desktops? Because you could always plug in a spare (if you have any) desktop monitor that's large enough into your laptop (if you have the correct thing to plug it into) and be happier then you would be using ResizeEnable.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: June 30, 2010, 09:23:02 pm »

Oh, I can play the game fine on my desktop, that's not a problem.

Aurora on the go/at work would be nice though. ;)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: June 30, 2010, 09:29:04 pm »

Aaaaah. Well. I'm stumped.

Well, does the program even start up? You know, with a system tray icon of any sort? An error? Nothing?

Does your ResizeEnable folder have the .dll file too along with the .exe? Did you try re-installing (Deleting and replacing) ResizeEnable at all?
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: July 01, 2010, 01:21:13 pm »

I got resizeenable to work on a 32 bit vista laptop with gimespace. Both need to be run in admin mode, resizeenable first, and then gimespace has some config bits, but nothing too bad.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: July 02, 2010, 12:34:40 am »

I managed to get both working on vista x64 (UAC disabled), but I find gimespace too jumpy to use.
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: July 02, 2010, 07:46:46 am »

Au on your smartphone is not going to happen anytime soon....not before they improve the resolution and add folding magnifying lenses. :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:53 pm »

Au on your smartphone is not going to happen anytime soon....not before they improve the resolution and add folding magnifying lenses. :D
my laptop is 1280x800 :P

But yeah, 64 bit win 7 (intel GMA graphics card so no fake higher resolution option) resists anything I've tried and looked at for getting aurora to a proper resolution on it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:48:00 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: July 26, 2010, 09:04:35 pm »

I suppose noone knows if this can run in an eee half-decently, right?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: July 26, 2010, 09:11:27 pm »

I suppose noone knows if this can run in an eee half-decently, right?
The performance doesn't really matter. It runs slow either way. The screen size is the main problem, what's your screen size?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: July 26, 2010, 09:34:38 pm »

1024x600. That was my main worry. I have 4x cravings, but I find Space Empires IV unfulfilling. Shadow Magic has the immanent mouse slow problem to so many wine programs. Haven't tried Alpha Centauri in Wine yet, but HQ says it runs mediocre
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: July 26, 2010, 09:48:56 pm »

I'm sorry to say, but your screen is far too small for Aurora. Unless you can resize the windows/enlarge the screen with a desktop monitor or some program, you're not going to be able to play.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: July 27, 2010, 06:47:06 am »

Is it worth buying a flat screen monitor to play this on a laptop? I know this is based on personal opinion, but I'd like to hear your personal opinion.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:42 am »

Will you use that flat screen for anything else? (replacing tv? dvd? 360? ps3?)

Will that flatscreen also be used for other laptop stuff?

If no to both, no.

If yes to 1, maybe not.

If yes to both, probably.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: July 27, 2010, 07:09:46 am »

I didn't buy my monitor just for this game, so I can't say if it's worth the price. Though you could also use the monitor for other things too, and if you are going to use it for other things then it's very likely worth it.

The game is just the only 4X game I play now, it just beats everything else in complexity. It's not perfect, heck it's far from perfect. But the good stuff outweighs the bad in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 1347