Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2813998 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3165 on: June 09, 2010, 05:15:23 am »

People still use MSN?

As opposed to?
Google Talk, ICQ, Yahoo, AIM, Astra, Comrade, Jabber, Bonjour, or Skype?

I was just expressing surprise, as I don't know anyone personally who uses MSN.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: June 10, 2010, 12:49:49 am »

Heh.

I finally manage to produce and dispatch ships. I have no idea what Geo Survey ships do, or how to find out, but they're doing it.

I also celebrated my leap into space by sending a shipload of colonists to Mars. Unfortunately, the atmosphere is not breathable. I'll have to figure out how to design my own terraformer ship.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3167 on: June 10, 2010, 12:51:36 am »

Heh.

I finally manage to produce and dispatch ships. I have no idea what Geo Survey ships do, or how to find out, but they're doing it.

I also celebrated my leap into space by sending a shipload of colonists to Mars. Unfortunately, the atmosphere is not breathable. I'll have to figure out how to design my own terraformer ship.
GeoSurvey ships scan planets and other bodies to see if they have material you can mine.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: June 10, 2010, 12:53:54 am »

Am I right in assuming that planets must be breathable in order to colonise? No sealed environment cities? And since Luna has no atmosphere (and presumably must be impossible to give one) I can never have a Lunar Colony?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3169 on: June 10, 2010, 12:56:42 am »

Am I right in assuming that planets must be breathable in order to colonise? No sealed environment cities? And since Luna has no atmosphere (and presumably must be impossible to give one) I can never have a Lunar Colony?
Yes, you are wrong. Once you designate Mars as a colony and ship some infrastructure there you will be able to offload colonists. The ratio of infrastructure/population you need depends on the colony cost of the planet.

Also, let your civilian shipping move most of the colonists once one of them forms. Good for business.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: June 10, 2010, 12:57:31 am »

Also; you can terraform Luna.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3171 on: June 10, 2010, 12:58:18 am »

Also; you can terraform Luna.
The feasibility of luna as a colony is entirely dependent on your race's gravity tolerance.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:37 am »

So the colonists require Infrastructure to survive, and the amount of Infrastructure required is related to how hostile the environment is?

Example: Plain Luna would require fully sealed bases and space suits, while a partially terraformed Mars would just need air filtration and oxygen masks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3173 on: June 10, 2010, 01:07:25 am »

So the colonists require Infrastructure to survive, and the amount of Infrastructure required is related to how hostile the environment is?

Example: Plain Luna would require fully sealed bases and space suits, while a partially terraformed Mars would just need air filtration and oxygen masks.
Yes. And this is abstracted by requiring 'infrastructure'.

Generally when I start a game I put in a long-term build order for like 10,000 infra at 5% of my industrial capacity and let it run in the background until I'm ready to colonize.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: June 10, 2010, 01:08:06 am »

Yes, though Luna might not be habitable unless you create a modified human race that can live there. Luna has too little gravity for normal humans.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: June 10, 2010, 01:35:18 am »

Incidentally, how do I find out the results of my geo-scanning ships?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: June 10, 2010, 01:37:40 am »

Incidentally, how do I find out the results of my geo-scanning ships?
F9, look at the planet. Or go to the event window.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: June 10, 2010, 02:40:51 am »

My geo-survey ships are refusing to scan when it's set to automatically go to new bodies in Special Orders/Organisation. Does this mean that they have scanned every single body in the solar system?

..."no acceptable destination within 10 billion km"

Edit: That shouldn't be so, since there's only one page worth of survey information. They'll go scan if I order them to, but the automated orders don't work.

Double Edit: That's just for Duranium. There's more entries for other moons and planets in other mineral catalogues.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 02:44:34 am by Shade-o »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3178 on: June 10, 2010, 02:41:49 am »

My geo-survey ships are refusing to scan when it's set to automatically go to new bodies in Special Orders/Organisation. Does this mean that they have scanned every single body in the solar system?

..."no acceptable destination within 10 billion km"
yes it does mean that

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: June 10, 2010, 02:50:20 am »

Alright, my colony analyser puts Mars at the easiest, with Titan, Mercury and Venus in the distance. While I enjoy the idea of sending colonists to freezing/scorching wastelands, how do I go about mining asteroids and comets?

My colonisation efforts are put off a little due to starting with an absolutely tiny civilian shipyard.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 1347