Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814086 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3135 on: May 09, 2010, 03:56:56 pm »

So wormholes are jump points that randomly appear and open in your systems? Sort of like Antaran attacks in MoO2.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: May 09, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »

Not Actually jump points since you can't use them and they likely don't actually lead anywhere. As soon as you see one it's fight or flight, and their ships are really fast. They also can be generated in newly explored systems.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: May 10, 2010, 02:38:41 am »

Ha ha! I defeated one wave of the Invaders, Damn, they are faster than my fighters! My fighters are thus useless. Arrgh. And my PDC missile bases did a really good job on them.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Arkum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: May 16, 2010, 12:34:36 am »

My biggist problem with this game is that it is not moddable. Almost all games today are to varying  degrees moddable. The window sizing at some point in the near future could make the game unplayable. I think the days of the desktop computer are numbered. This is a very complicated game for not being able to be moddable. The whole purpose of a simulation is to explore the what-ifs. If the parimeters can not be altered what is the point.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:14:48 am by Arkum »

NoctisVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • Has withdrawn from society.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: May 24, 2010, 08:03:56 am »

My biggist problem with this game is that it is not moddable. Almost all games today are to varying  degrees moddable. The window sizing at some point in the near future could make the game unplayable. I think the days of the desktop computer are numbered. This is a very complicated game for not being able to be moddable. The whole purpose of a simulation is to explore the what-ifs. If the parimeters can not be altered what is the point.
Although it's a bit of thread necromancy...but I have to beg to differ.
I haven't played this game much(WAY too complicated even when compared to Dwarf Fortress), but there is one thing I can be sure is that the game itself is already so sandbox-like, which has rendered modding capability almost unnecessary. I can't remember another 4X, no, another game of whatever genre which allows you to design your own equipment's function to this level of detail. Literally you have to mod your own components in...but as you said, the ability to mod in a greater level(Like weapon types. tech-trees or other things like themes) will still be good for this game.
And the days of the desktop computer are probably numbered indeed...not in the near future for sure, as long as you can't cram all those high-end gaming/professional hardware in a notebook/tablet/mobile, there will still be standing ground for desktop computer left, not to mention the incresing demand of HD and (probably)Hi-Fi, neither of which a non-desktop computer can provide easily.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: May 24, 2010, 01:58:53 pm »

No necromancy, this is the Aurora thread.  No sense making a whole new thread for this.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: May 25, 2010, 09:20:16 pm »

As for modding capability you can mod it out but you need a database browser and the password wich i have, i also have the devlopper password. With this you can modify pretty much anything ( from ruin chance to appear to specification of the item you just researched ( need to make a new component like a new engine research the new ship engine then open the database and modify its information ( pretty much cheating than modding in this case ))

Also with the access to the database you can cheat and also mod in the chance of this or that to appear and some other stuff.

Straigh in modding is another story ( can add flag and ship image by simply adding them to the folders but thats pretty much it ).

The SM mod allow you to change some stuff ( cheat too ) you can also change governement type of other NPR.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Arkum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: May 26, 2010, 10:49:31 pm »

This term of  designing  a componet to your specification is really not accurate. You create comps through a large tech tree which games like SEIV has and which can be modded to make it a much larger tree. In real terms SM Mode is a a way of useing a round-about way to enter a cheat codes rather than being called modding. For example you can give yourself a extra Space yard. In SEIV you can give a race a unigue tech tree that other raves to not have. The values in research times can be changed for all comps & Facilitys, you can not do this with Aurora. Plus many other things that can not be done with Aurora. 
Next. The war gaming community is a tiny part of computer users. The laptop can do almost anything a desktop can do plus not take up a lot of space and are portable. Pc desktop sales for several years have been droping, while laptops & notebooks are booming. I have a 3 GHZ prcessor desktop and will be replacing it with a laptop. I live in a apartment where space is valuable. Almost everyone I know is moving away from the desktop including the schools. The designer mode is password protected, an steve will only give too the few of his choosing. It will never become apart of the game. I know this because it was asked on the Aurora forum.
The SM mod does not effect the NPR's an a way people think it does . A recent  forum post explains this. If you give yourself certain advandages the newly created NPR's may recieve them to.
This reuters site talks about the end of the PC.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE50601320090107
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:49:02 am by Arkum »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: May 27, 2010, 03:00:32 am »

I have'nt kept up with the updates, is the "game slowed to 30 seconds" problem still around? Because that is single handedly stopping me from playing this.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: May 27, 2010, 03:20:25 am »

Yep. I have a game that I really want to continue, but when the AI's having week long battles that slows it all down to 5 second increments it's damn near unplayable. Thus I will try a new game with the express goal of nuking everything as fast as possible.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3145 on: May 27, 2010, 03:21:09 am »

I have'nt kept up with the updates, is the "game slowed to 30 seconds" problem still around? Because that is single handedly stopping me from playing this.
No this hasn't been fixed. Its the main reason I abandoned it as well, for now.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: May 27, 2010, 09:17:52 am »

Yea that's the main reason I'm not playing much lately either.  It can be fixed in designer mode.  But only by deleting everybody involved out of existence.  Which is a pain to do, and feels distinctly like cheating, because you have to closely look at the AI's ships while you're looking for the correct one's to delete and end up finding out the AI's ships' capabilities just by doing that.

And there is no guarantee that it won't just happen AGAIN a year later.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3147 on: May 27, 2010, 09:20:53 am »

Shouldn't have to cheat just to play the game

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: May 28, 2010, 11:16:29 pm »

Hey there, just stumbled across this game today from over at Infinity:TQFE and have been trying it out, and from what I have been able to get working it seems like it could be a fun game. Only problem is Im currently stuck with a problem where I cant make new classes of ships. I finaly got all the little bugs fixed by spending a few hours tracking down all the patches and now it seems to work pretty well (haven't had a full year of play yet.)

Is this what the bottom of your ship building window looks like? The tutorial says there should be a "New" button, which I assumed was New Hull, but that just yells at me for not having a Class selected... that is the bottom of the window and not just the edge of my screen res.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:25 pm »

You're missing a bunch of buttons, you should get Resizeenable.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 1347