Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814167 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #3105 on: April 21, 2010, 04:33:37 pm »

And it's a good Idea to research a bit before genetically modifying your people, since you can not modify them again, and if their total population is less then 5% of your empire's total population, you will get unrest.
Does this apply even if the people are on their own colony, on another planet? And how severe is the unrest?
This explains basically everything.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3106 on: April 21, 2010, 04:55:25 pm »

Very nice, thank you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: April 22, 2010, 12:50:32 am »

Also; 5.14 is out, forgot to tell you guys. http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2514
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: April 22, 2010, 02:02:00 am »

So I just had my first experience with combat. I was down to my last ship before I figured out how to turn on my weapons and fire. Needless to say, it's 3 a.m. and I told myself I'd be going to sleep about 2 hours ago... excellent fun.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: April 22, 2010, 12:08:08 pm »

I'd LIKE to play this game, but quite frankly the author is so disorganised I can't even find the up to date download.
Some of steve's reactions to the community have turned me off to the game. The fact that he can't even throw up a simple webpage or organize his own tutorials sequentially even moreso.

There is no obligation to do any of that.  He is not 'selling' or 'promoting' this game to anyone.  The tutorials only came about because Aurora got out to a bigger public that bitched about the lack of it.
Well there were the same questions getting asked again and again too....  Both on the Aurora forum and off it....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3110 on: April 22, 2010, 12:26:21 pm »

I know he has no obligation to do so, but putting up a webpage with the downloads or arranging the tutorials in order could only help the community and wouldn't take much time.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: April 22, 2010, 01:11:05 pm »

I know he has no obligation to do so, but putting up a webpage with the downloads or arranging the tutorials in order could only help the community and wouldn't take much time.

Procrastination?  It requires work that isn't essential... and with zero interest/motivation...

My thinking would be: 'Its already good enough.  Why take the time and effort to improve it for 'you'?  When it benefits me none?'

Like how he doesn't plan on changing the game resolution, ever. 

Though... if certain questions pop-up too much with him being the one to answer... he'll probably add a tutorial on it if noone else does.  Time taken out of development.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3112 on: April 22, 2010, 01:17:08 pm »

My thinking would be: 'Its already good enough.  Why take the time and effort to improve it for 'you'?  When it benefits me none?'
With that thinking, why did he release the game at all? Why not keep it to himself? It took him time to put up the forum, tutorials, to put up each download link. None of these things benefit him. If you think he's so mercenary, why would he do them at all?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: April 22, 2010, 01:27:27 pm »

With that thinking, why did he release the game at all? Why not keep it to himself? It took him time to put up the forum, tutorials, to put up each download link. None of these things benefit him. If you think he's so mercenary, why would he do them at all?

Beta Testers? Social?

Totally Off Topic: Whoa... you can make the text editing area bigger...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3114 on: April 22, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »

I just wonder if he realizes how much he is sabotaging himself by not doing a few simple things which really take very little time to do. But whatever, as I said I have been put off by a lot of Steve's decisions and reactions. He's made a nice game but he's not too nice of a person.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: April 24, 2010, 03:40:12 pm »

I agree with the sentiment. The game is nice but, considering he already doesn't like Bay12 anyway, seriously and frankly, the programmer is quite the jerk. His cult of personality are twits too, more eager to incriminate than assist. Very cultural revolution of them.

He reminds me of a lot of start-up entrepreneurs who think that because they own their own business, they can do whatever they want and it's other people who have to put up with it or get out. We laugh at people like that because we know they're all going to go nowhere, which is sad as it would be great to see this great game go places.

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: April 24, 2010, 05:32:56 pm »

I don't quite know what you mean about the tutorials here. I presume you are talking about these ones. Now, while they aren't in order on the forum page, I thought the numbering of Part 1, Part 2 etc. would be sufficient to work out the order of them?

I learnt about the game from those tutorials, and I had no problems with them. It explained 80% of the buttons in the game, and a bit more browsing on the forums solved the rest of them.

Also, as a side note, Steve is a professional poker player, and I imagine being a nice guy isn't an advantage in his line of work.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: April 25, 2010, 09:19:41 am »

He is clearly a student of Dr. Derek Smart
Only a simple mind can be certain.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: April 25, 2010, 09:33:49 am »

He is clearly a student of Douchebag Derek Smart

Fix'd.

Anyways, I do enjoy the game, I just hate the windows. Those damned windows...

So, does anyone what he's working on next?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: April 25, 2010, 09:49:28 am »

He's doing a collaboration with Toady.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 1347