Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814623 times)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2880 on: March 26, 2010, 05:36:07 pm »

Absolutely positive. They show up in the Intelligence and Foreign Relations menu, they have 5 known classes of ship, all of which are above 15,000 tons, and I spent months trying to communicate before discovering that, lo and behold, I can't. So plan A, exploitation, is out the window. Proceeding with alien termination plan.

Hold your horses. I've observed two classes of 15,300-ton Precursor ships, and two 15,150-ton ones, which might be PDC models, given their lack of thermal signature (though I may've just missed it).

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: March 26, 2010, 05:37:09 pm »

They seemed less hostile than precursor ships. Last time I encountered precursors, they fired on me immediately then came through the jumpgate. These aliens didn't, suggesting none of the ships I encountered were heavily armed or immediately aggressive. I did see a missile salvo, but my guess is that was fired by a PDC since I ordered my gravsurvey to go fairly close to the habitable planets in the system. Since my jump exploration ship was basically a tiny jump engine with gravitational and thermal sensors and two Internal Confinement Fusion Drives, it probably moved faster than the missiles were designed to target. Most warships heavy enough to assault a planet are either very slow or very advanced, no need to defend the planet against a survey ship moving 6000 km/s. They were also moving on trajectories suggesting freighters moving stuff between planets. I would have expected precursor ships to immediately fire long range weapons and converge.

I could be wrong, I've only encountered precursors once, and never encountered an NPR before.  Either way, they need to be exterminated. That's my next major project, clean sweep Sirius of either the aliens or Precursors.

I mentioned the weight in passing. I know Precursor ships are 15,000 tons or more. Sorry to throw you guys off.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: March 26, 2010, 05:40:50 pm »

Try checking their speed, if it is unnaturally high for their size (4000+ km/s) than I am 100% sure they are Precursors, if not, than its still up for grabs, does it say '(Pre)' somewhere in a contact?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 26, 2010, 05:58:23 pm »

Try checking their speed, if it is unnaturally high for their size (4000+ km/s) than I am 100% sure they are Precursors, if not, than its still up for grabs, does it say '(Pre)' somewhere in a contact?

That'd depend on if and how he has defined the Precursor race. :P

By the way, spoiler question: what's the longest-ranged Precursor missile you've encountered, guys? I'd hate it if they had ones with ranges greater than 50 million km (which is my latest design's and the centerpiece of my new class of missile frigates).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:07:26 pm by Greenbane »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: March 26, 2010, 06:11:16 pm »

Meh, silly mistake, that. :P

still, if you are fighting a high tech alien, call them 'Precursors' with a nickname of 'Pre' until you can prove otherwise.

Edit; and don't lay waste to the whole planet! if they aren't Precursors it still has worker population and industry's! and they can likely live on planets you can't!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 06:16:14 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: March 26, 2010, 06:14:50 pm »

I didn't see a speed then, and one isn't listed now. I could be wrong, they could be precursors, but whether they're precursors or aliens the answer is still the same - extermination.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: March 26, 2010, 06:17:48 pm »

Probably not precursors unless they didn't see you.  Precursors would paste you the moment they see you.

It was probably a combination of bad rolls, and bad communication race skill on both sides.  Enjoy yer genocide.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: March 26, 2010, 07:29:31 pm »

Nope, I was wrong. Looks like Precursors. I ran into some wreckage of Sir (the automatic name assigned to them based on initial encounter) class spaceships in another sector. Unless the Sirius aliens are there, which is possible but unlikely, these are precursor designs.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2888 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:52 pm »

I have confirmed that Asteroid Mining Modules will mine comets. BRB, adjusting the aurorawiki page on comets.

While you're at it it would be a good idea to check and confirm that they do not operate for each of chunks, moons and planets.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:40 pm »

I can confirm that they don't work for moons or planets. Not sure about chunks.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 26, 2010, 08:19:58 pm »

You mean chunk moons&planets? they are exactly the same, they don't work, because they are not different from terrestrial planets/moons at all, if you mean something else than I have no idea what you are talking about.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: March 26, 2010, 08:55:51 pm »

In other news, Earth has finally reached the 1 billion point (why is the population so low in 2025?) and Mars is overflowing. I'm pumping out terraformers and researching terraforming constantly trying to get more planets ready, meanwhile I'm constantly shipping more infrastructure to Mars to keep unrest down. Wish I could convince more people to head to Alpha Centauri, I really need a colony over there to serve as a good source of missiles, fuel, and to do basic processing for the minerals I'll be pulling out of those asteroids soon.

Edit: And I realized I hadn't checked "Add gas to atmosphere", so for over a decade now my terraformers have been orbiting Mars pumping out... nothing. Perfect.

Edit2: Wish the civilian shipping lines would obey the "Obsolete" tags as well. They're building 3 new V1 freighters and a V1 cryotransport ship. I'm up to V3 now, with substantially more powerful engines for the same price. Comparably, the V3 moves 2500 or so km/s faster. That would be very nice for extra-galactic freighting.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:22:43 pm by Grendus »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: March 26, 2010, 09:38:25 pm »

Actually, they have been taking away non-existent gas. :P

if you start the game like me with 1bil pop, you would have a lot more, I have
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
total [with the non rounded down numbers], 5745.5mil people! [5.7455bil]

and that's all in 77 years with a starting 1bil people.

Edit;

Edit2: Wish the civilian shipping lines would obey the "Obsolete" tags as well. They're building 3 new V1 freighters and a V1 cryotransport ship. I'm up to V3 now, with substantially more powerful engines for the same price. Comparably, the V3 moves 2500 or so km/s faster. That would be very nice for extra-galactic freighting.

urgh, I know right? you're like "hey! stop, stop! those ships are obsolete!", and yet they don't listen.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 09:40:22 pm by Tarran »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:53 pm »

They should be ignoring obsolete designs. My civilian companies do; I've never had any trouble with that. ???

You could try outright deleting the obsolete classes if the civvies keep ignoring obsolescence.

It's 2085 in my game, and Earth's stuck at 1.1 billion population (started in 2025 with 500 million), probably due to citizens being constantly syphoned to be sent off to other colonies. I've even had a small measure of underemployment recently, and had to ship off some manned mines to Mars to free up workers. The civilian companies just keep building colony ships, so I hope our homeworld will be able to keep its population steady. :-\

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 26, 2010, 09:59:58 pm »

Heh, I remember once I had earth going down from the 2bil pop mark to luna/mars, damn my small colony fleet did really good! :P

here are some tips on how to build pop up quickly;

1: send colonists to other worlds, they get a greater growth percentage than if they were on earth, because as planets get more populated, they lose percentage in growth, to a minimum of 2%, so shipping colonists off of earth speeds up the process by a ton.

2: don't have colonies that rely on infrastructure, as it wastes minerals, and they cannot expand past the infra limit.

3: you don't have to have colonies that can build things for themselves, just drop off colonists on a cost 0 planet and let the civvies do the work.

4: control the herd, set destinations to sources, colonies with around 200mil pop are basically done (your choice, however, if they really are done), and if you have a colon(y)(ies) in the same system as your main source(s), than most of the colony ships will ship to only that colon(y)(ies).

just a few tips. ;)

Edit; earth has less than 2% growth.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:27:38 pm by Tarran »
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 1347