Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814669 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2865 on: March 26, 2010, 12:45:33 pm »

But... Losing is Fun!

Any pointers for making earth uninhabitable within the first month?
SM 1000 Terraforming facility's, 10bill pop, add neon, see where it goes. :P
Neon? nah, go with Iodine.  ;D
No, Methane! :D
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: March 26, 2010, 12:48:09 pm »

I'd go with chlorine, personally.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: March 26, 2010, 12:55:53 pm »

But... they don't suffer as horribly as with neon (glowing sky) or methane (smelly earth) before death. :(
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: March 26, 2010, 02:07:58 pm »

If you want them to suffer painless death, use carbon monoxide. Odorless and colorless, they simply fall asleep and die of asphyxiation. Presuming, of course, that Steve programmed that (which I assume he did, if he allowed the option to pump carbon monoxide into the atmosphere.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: March 26, 2010, 02:33:46 pm »

Speaking of death, I did not know that ships could suffer catastrophic maintenance failures and thereby explode.  Sad part was it was a long-voyage survey vessel just 2 jumps away from Earth on the way back to refuel and get an overhaul.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: March 26, 2010, 02:47:45 pm »

If you want them to suffer painless death, use carbon monoxide. Odorless and colorless, they simply fall asleep and die of asphyxiation. Presuming, of course, that Steve programmed that (which I assume he did, if he allowed the option to pump carbon monoxide into the atmosphere.

No, I know that, that's why I never even talked about it, its much more fun to heat up the earth while making it glow with neon. :P

Speaking of death, I did not know that ships could suffer catastrophic maintenance failures and thereby explode.  Sad part was it was a long-voyage survey vessel just 2 jumps away from Earth on the way back to refuel and get an overhaul.

so, it exploded just because it could not repair something? dwarfy. :P

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: March 26, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »

Always a good idea to use commercial components whenever viable.
IIRC though, catastrophy only occurs if the failure cannot be mended using supplies onboard. eg when the failing part gets destroyed. Also it is only engines/ammo/fueltanks/powerplants that can explode on failure.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: March 26, 2010, 03:38:22 pm »

so, it exploded just because it could not repair something? dwarfy. :P
More along the lines of something explody couldn't get repaired and drew the iSplode card.

I guess non-maintenance damage or whatever(when not repaired) causes checks on explosions as would normally getting hit by weapons fire....
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: March 26, 2010, 03:45:32 pm »

You could've sent a ship, any ship, to transfer maintenance supplies to the decrepit vessel. Keep that in mind for next time. :P

Always a good idea to use commercial components whenever viable.

Non-military components still require maintenance if aboard military ships. There's no point in putting commercial engines and things like that on a military vessel.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: March 26, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

I have confirmed that Asteroid Mining Modules will mine comets. BRB, adjusting the aurorawiki page on comets.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: March 26, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »

Good, correct information is good information. :)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: March 26, 2010, 04:38:26 pm »

Apparently, communication with the aliens in the Sirius galaxy is impossible. Proceeding with plan B - extermination.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: March 26, 2010, 04:44:37 pm »

You sure they are not precursors?

Communication with robots is impossible. :P

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: March 26, 2010, 04:59:49 pm »

Absolutely positive. They show up in the Intelligence and Foreign Relations menu, they have 5 known classes of ship, all of which are above 15,000 tons, and I spent months trying to communicate before discovering that, lo and behold, I can't. So plan A, exploitation, is out the window. Proceeding with alien termination plan.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: March 26, 2010, 05:10:48 pm »

Absolutely positive. They show up in the Intelligence and Foreign Relations menu, they have 5 known classes of ship, all of which are above 15,000 tons, and I spent months trying to communicate before discovering that, lo and behold, I can't. So plan A, exploitation, is out the window. Proceeding with alien termination plan.
Precursors and Starswarm do show up in the foreign relations menu, you just have to name them.

and just because all the ships are over 15,000 tons does not mean they aren't Precursors, they could be larger ships.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 1347