Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814631 times)

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2850 on: March 25, 2010, 10:24:37 pm »

So I just started following the tutorial. This is the first 4X game I've tried, so hopefully it's not too hard to understand.

... 3 min's later

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUHHGGGG THE CHARTS

gonna try to push through them

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: March 25, 2010, 10:26:46 pm »

Urgh, I had a fire control on it. Must have removed it when I accidentally put civilian class sensors on it. The fire control can target as far as the lasers can go.

The reason I went with lasers was kind of threefold. First, while plasma caronades are more powerful (someone said they use the missile templates), lasers drill straight down. If I want to do lethal damage fast, I reckon best way is to try to punch a hole all the way through their armor. Second, I was afraid they would warp far enough away that I would only get one or two caronade shots off. Since I lack the technology for long battles, I want to make sure I can hit them hard and fast should they be hostile. Third... I have no caronade technology. Granted, my laser tech isn't all that great either, but it's better than nothing. If I want missile firepower, I'll go with missiles for now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 10:32:31 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: March 25, 2010, 10:28:12 pm »

So I just started following the tutorial. This is the first 4X game I've tried, so hopefully it's not too hard to understand.

... 3 min's later

Just don't get discouraged like a lot of others, just give it some time and you will blaze though it, don't be afraid to ask anything, and we will likely answer. :)

just try not to destroy humanity in a few years. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2853 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:52 pm »

My goal is to not destroy the world While I'm still on it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:19:07 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: March 26, 2010, 03:05:30 am »

Well since the response before was good, I made some fighter designs, just to compare...

Stand alone version, /w sensor
Speed: 125 000 km/s
Damage max: 18 Missiles x 24 Damage warhead = 432 Damage from 4m km away.
Tonage: 180 tons

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd ditch the magazine, launchers and missiles and put a meson cannon on it. I'm not sure about its potential effect on weight and therefore speed, but with that kind of agility, equipping the spacecraft with very finite ordnance seems like a waste.

Done. I personally think thats not as effectiv, anyway here is the figher with a menson

Needs Sensor support
Speed: 76923 km/s
Damage max: Unlimited, given enough time... lower dmg output in the start though and only 175,000km range.
Needed to add engy. station, otherwise the fail rate would be to high.
Tonage: 292.5 tons

The menson cannon makes up over 50% of the ship and yeah... honestly I can't see this being much better.

And my personal fav:

Fighter bomber

50x30Dmg=1 500 Damage in a single blow... sure its kinda slow and helpless, but Daaaaaaam. I figure I could build a light variation with 750 dmg and twice the speed, but damm thats a fine piece!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: March 26, 2010, 03:27:41 am »

How do you tow ships?  You need a tractor beam, of course, but what orders do you give to which TG?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: March 26, 2010, 03:47:41 am »

How do you tow ships?  You need a tractor beam, of course, but what orders do you give to which TG?
Ship screen, misc tab, in there somewhere.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: March 26, 2010, 04:05:47 am »

... 3 min's later

NNNNNOOOOO, go play Master of Orion 1 or 2, or Civ/Alpha Centauri (if you consider those 4X games) first.  You don't want to get a bad impression of the genre.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: March 26, 2010, 04:23:09 am »

... 3 min's later

NNNNNOOOOO, go play Master of Orion 1 or 2, or Civ/Alpha Centauri (if you consider those 4X games) first.  You don't want to get a bad impression of the genre.
'Losing is FUN!' but remember that this game is much more complex, so give it a try after you get used to 4X games, because there are so few members between both of the forums. :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:28:50 am by Tarran »

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:44 am »

But... Losing is Fun!

Any pointers for making earth uninhabitable within the first month?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: March 26, 2010, 11:07:51 am »

Conventional start and missiles and the ICBM platforms floating above Earth.  See what you can do with that.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2861 on: March 26, 2010, 11:34:44 am »

Well since the response before was good, I made some fighter designs, just to compare...

I'd put more launchers on the fighter. As it is you will be firing salvoes of a single missile which will be much easier for point defence to shoot down all of them. If you haven't got reduced size launchers yet, research them as soon as you can. Strip off the current launcher and magazine and replace with an equal tonnage of box launchers.

As has been discussed many times in this thread your warheads on your missiles could do with being increased to size 25 so as to give penetration to another armour level.

Personally I'd add CompactSmall craft ECM and CompactSmall craft ECCM to your design if you have them, as these can quite significantly effect your fighters survivability and ability to hit with those missiles.

I wouldn't bother putting thermal sensors on a combat fighter, as more than one in a squadron is essentially wasted space. If you want your fighter squadron to have passive sensors it is better to design a dedicated sensor fighter to accompany the combat fighters. As the above design lacks active sensors, you could add those to your sensor fighter to allow the squadron to operate outside the sensor envelope of their baseship.

edit:Just had a play around with an all tech game.

Missile fighter set up to spam size 1 missiles.

The sensor-fighter to accompany each squadron.

As you've been going with smaller faster fighters heres a variant that sticks to that theme.

It's associated sensor-fighter.

As you can see from comparing the two missile variants a size 25 warhead is really too big to go on a size 1 missile even at max tech. The size 16 warhead variant is both much faster as well as having a far higher chance to hit.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:38:01 pm by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: March 26, 2010, 12:08:23 pm »

It looks like you instantly researched every tech through SM mode and then made that thing O_O

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: March 26, 2010, 12:37:40 pm »

But... Losing is Fun!

SM 1000 Terraforming facility's, 10bill pop, add neon, see where it goes. :P

It looks like you instantly researched every tech through SM mode and then made that thing O_O
well, either they spent hundreds of years playing, or, like me, they added a fully researched save.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2864 on: March 26, 2010, 12:44:18 pm »

But... Losing is Fun!

SM 1000 Terraforming facility's, 10bill pop, add neon, see where it goes. :P
Neon? nah, go with Iodine.  ;D

well, either they spent hundreds of years playing, or, like me, they added a fully researched save.

Yep, in order to get a full tech game to play around with follow these instructions.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 1347