Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2814724 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2835 on: March 25, 2010, 01:42:53 pm »

It's also cheaper resource-wise what with only having engines which are big on only a few ships.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: March 25, 2010, 01:46:21 pm »

I decided to have engines on gateconstructors...
only one module per ship, so they be fairly small compared to the other utillities.
You didn't have engines on them before? so you tugged around gate constructors for every gate? :P

Hey, if you've already got dozens of fairly fast tugs floating around, why not? It's probably faster to tug the ship, than to throw on a weak engine.

I see what you mean, but at the same time disagree with you, commercial shipyards are the cheapest to upgrade and it opens up possibility's for the future for when you retool it, here, for example, is my newest construction ship.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's also cheaper resource-wise what with only having engines which are big on only a few ships.

You won't have to worry about resources unless you are in a far away colony, but even then that little bit won't do much for the big picture. :(

Ed; fixed changed the IIII to IV
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 01:50:27 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2837 on: March 25, 2010, 01:49:18 pm »

Yep required power is number of weapons times the capacitor size on each weapon, basically how much power you need to generate every 5 seconds.

Yeah, it's green multiplied by red.
20cm C4 Ultraviolet Laser (4)    Range 320,000km     TS: 6562 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4

At-least I wasted only a little space, whats the first number anyway? damage?

The blue number is the total power needed for the weapon to fire. This is what determines the rate of fire(ROF) for the weapon, as you put the amount of power in the capacitor(red) into the weapon every 5 seconds. In this case your rate of fire is 15 seconds as it takes that long to fully charge.

The numbers given in yellow are your damage at each range increment.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: March 25, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »

I usually stick one or two cheap engines on my heavy ships. They go really slow, but as you said they mostly sit around their destination point anyways. It's just 28 gallicite or so, which I usually have lots of just lying around. I can see where you're coming from with the tugs though, it's a good method.

I have a jump gate on JP 5. I never built a jump constructor ship. I think JP 5 is inside the range of my deep space sensors, it's pretty close to Sol. Either I have a bug, or a very sneaky NPR.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2839 on: March 25, 2010, 01:55:48 pm »

I have a jump gate on JP 5. I never built a jump constructor ship. I think JP 5 is inside the range of my deep space sensors, it's pretty close to Sol. Either I have a bug, or a very sneaky NPR.

Sometimes jump points are found with jump gates already present.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: March 25, 2010, 01:57:10 pm »

I usually stick one or two cheap engines on my heavy ships. They go really slow, but as you said they mostly sit around their destination point anyways. It's just 28 gallicite or so, which I usually have lots of just lying around. I can see where you're coming from with the tugs though, it's a good method.

I bet the Precursors have visited earth before. :o

Yep required power is number of weapons times the capacitor size on each weapon, basically how much power you need to generate every 5 seconds.

Yeah, it's green multiplied by red.
20cm C4 Ultraviolet Laser (4)    Range 320,000km     TS: 6562 km/s     Power 10-4     RM 4    ROF 15        10 10 10 10 8 6 5 5 4 4

At-least I wasted only a little space, whats the first number anyway? damage?

The blue number is the total power needed for the weapon to fire. This is what determines the rate of fire(ROF) for the weapon, as you put the amount of power in the capacitor(red) into the weapon every 5 seconds. In this case your rate of fire is 15 seconds as it takes that long to fully charge.

The numbers given in yellow are your damage at each range increment.

Arrgh, if you guys keep confusing me about weapons I will be forced to build one gigantic laser and destroy earth. ::)

thanks for answering.

Ed; ahh, I really understand this time, me=stupid/cannot read.

Edit 2; I also seem to have higher tech than the precursors, in only 75 years. :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 02:14:41 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2841 on: March 25, 2010, 02:55:52 pm »

it could have been there from the start but an NPR is also quite likely. one of my games I had a neutral NPR who built jump gates on all the jump point every direction from the home system for like 4 or 5 jumps including my system.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: March 25, 2010, 05:11:48 pm »

My first game had a random jump gate like that, in Sol. The system on the other side didn't have any potentially habitable planets, though (I think there were two planets, both tiny and freezing). And I'm assuming there wasn't an NPR in Sol that somehow constructed a jump gate before I turned on my first sensor. I first noticed the gate about 6 months in, although I was new and had no clue what the heck that shiny dot on the map was, so it might've been there since I genned the map...?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: March 25, 2010, 07:39:28 pm »

My stealth scout was able to fool around with Precursor corvettes, successfully remaining undetected even in the face of active sensors as close as 8 million km. From that experience, I envisioned a combat variant, armed with a minimal amount of nimble yet short-ranged missiles, later designed as the Shuriken Tactical Anti-Ship Missile (TASM). Here's the design of this experimental warship:

Shinobi class Special Recon Vessel    5000 tons     460 Crew     1364.86 BP      TCS 15  TH 80  EM 0
5000 km/s    JR 3-250     Armour 1-26     Shields 0-0     Sensors 44/44/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 7.92
Annual Failure Rate: 57%    IFR: 0.8%    Maint Capacity 597 MSP    Max Repair 200 MSP    Est Time: 2.74 Years
Magazine 60   

J5000(3-250) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 5000 tons    Distance 250k km     Squadron Size 3
MagCon Fusion Drive E6-MS (4)    Power 125    Fuel Use 60%    Signature 20    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 150.0 billion km   (347 days at full power)

Tactical Missile Launch Tube S6-720 (4)    Missile Size 6    Rate of Fire 720
Shuriken MFC M16-R9 (1)     Range 16.6m km    Resolution 9
Shuriken TASM (10)  Speed: 41,700 km/s   End: 6m    Range: 15m km   WH: 16    Size: 6    TH: 264 / 158 / 79

Moebius Sensor Suite A-19-16 (1)     GPS 1792     Range 19.7m km    Resolution 16
Moebius Sensor Suite T-4-44 (1)     Sensitivity 44     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  44m km
Moebius Sensor Suite E-4-44 (1)     Sensitivity 44     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  44m km
Cloaking Device: Class cross-section reduced to 15% of normal

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

The Shuriken is meant to be used as the enemy closes in, lured by the Shinobi's small yet noticeable (in close proximity, that is) thermal signature, without the use of ship-based active sensors. Using a waypoint on the incoming vessel as target, the missile would theoretically lance away from the stealth ship and pick up its prey using its own sensors, therefore not giving away the firer's position.

Of course, this tactic's optimized for encounters with small warships (like the Precursor corvettes) or certain commercial vessels. Larger ships would either not be destroyed in a single, 4-missile salvo, or likely possess enough point-defense systems to neutralize it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: March 25, 2010, 07:53:40 pm »

The gate led to Alpha Centauri, which also has a gate. Not detecting anything though, hopefully no precursors here. There are four viable colony planets here, and a fifth that's viable in the same way Venus is. Assuming it's safe, it's great.

Edit: And another gate led to Cirius, which has aliens. I want the Precursors back. And I see a missile salvo. Crap.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:27:17 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: March 25, 2010, 08:22:00 pm »

My stealth scout was able to fool around with Precursor corvettes, successfully remaining undetected even in the face of active sensors as close as 8 million km. From that experience, I envisioned a combat variant, armed with a minimal amount of nimble yet short-ranged missiles, later designed as the Shuriken Tactical Anti-Ship Missile (TASM). Here's the design of this experimental warship:

Shinobi class Special Recon Vessel    5000 tons     460 Crew     1364.86 BP      TCS 15  TH 80  EM 0
5000 km/s    JR 3-250     Armour 1-26     Shields 0-0     Sensors 44/44/0/0     Damage Control Rating 3     PPV 7.92
Annual Failure Rate: 57%    IFR: 0.8%    Maint Capacity 597 MSP    Max Repair 200 MSP    Est Time: 2.74 Years
Magazine 60   

J5000(3-250) Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 5000 tons    Distance 250k km     Squadron Size 3
MagCon Fusion Drive E6-MS (4)    Power 125    Fuel Use 60%    Signature 20    Armour 0    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 250,000 Litres    Range 150.0 billion km   (347 days at full power)

Tactical Missile Launch Tube S6-720 (4)    Missile Size 6    Rate of Fire 720
Shuriken MFC M16-R9 (1)     Range 16.6m km    Resolution 9
Shuriken TASM (10)  Speed: 41,700 km/s   End: 6m    Range: 15m km   WH: 16    Size: 6    TH: 264 / 158 / 79

Moebius Sensor Suite A-19-16 (1)     GPS 1792     Range 19.7m km    Resolution 16
Moebius Sensor Suite T-4-44 (1)     Sensitivity 44     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  44m km
Moebius Sensor Suite E-4-44 (1)     Sensitivity 44     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  44m km
Cloaking Device: Class cross-section reduced to 15% of normal

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

This design is classed as a military vessel for maintenance purposes

The Shuriken is meant to be used as the enemy closes in, lured by the Shinobi's small yet noticeable (in close proximity, that is) thermal signature, without the use of ship-based active sensors. Using a waypoint on the incoming vessel as target, the missile would theoretically lance away from the stealth ship and pick up its prey using its own sensors, therefore not giving away the firer's position.

Of course, this tactic's optimized for encounters with small warships (like the Precursor corvettes) or certain commercial vessels. Larger ships would either not be destroyed in a single, 4-missile salvo, or likely possess enough point-defense systems to neutralize it.

Decent sensors, but whats the difference between the T-4-44 and the E-4-44 variants? stop naming your sensors like that, 'Active' is much better than 'A', and add some rez 0 sensors.
the missiles are fine, but this is certainly not a war ship, or anything close to one.
as soon as you can, add faster engines, it may go fast, but for its size I would have it going around 8000+ km/s
no thermal/EM sensors?
no ECM at all, a fast ECM equipped ship is very hard to hit.

Edit;
The gate led to Alpha Centauri, which also has a gate. Not detecting anything though, hopefully no precursors here. There are four viable colony planets here, and a fifth that's viable in the same way Venus is. Assuming it's safe, it's great.

Edit: And another gate led to Cirius, which has aliens. I want the Precursors back. And I see a missile salvo. Crap.

My god you are unlucky, more unlucky than me actually. :P
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:24:15 pm by Tarran »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: March 25, 2010, 08:44:27 pm »

...and add some rez 0 sensors.

Resolution 0? What for? To detect incoming missiles? How would that help at all? Resolution 16 is calibrated for 800-ton ships (Star Swarm gunboats), the smallest vessels I have observed. Going lower would only reduce the sensor's effective range, in exchange for no advantage whatsoever.

as soon as you can, add faster engines, it may go fast, but for its size I would have it going around 8000+ km/s

5000 km/s seems sufficient for now. Adding more engines would've forced me to develop a new jump engine and cloaking device.

A stealth ship can't be hit at all as long as it remains undetected. If active sensors ever pick it up, no ECM will save it. No point in wasting weight on that.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: March 25, 2010, 08:55:03 pm »

How's this for a jump point defense ship?

It's basically a beam warship designed to catch enemies during the 30-60 second lack of shields/sensors after a jump. Presuming a minimum 30 second blindness (assuming the ship warps in within range, which is likely since they're fairly high frequency lasers), that's 6 5 second increments or 30 laser blasts. Combine that with multiple ships defending the jump point, that's a lot of damage in a short time. Hopefully enough to destroy or cripple the enemy before they get to discover I've barely researched defenses at all.

And for ambush missiles.

It's short range, but agile and very small. You could use small magazines and launchers and launch fairly good salvos to do lots of damage during sensor blindness.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:00:15 pm by Grendus »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: March 25, 2010, 09:17:55 pm »

...and add some rez 0 sensors.

Resolution 0? What for? To detect incoming missiles? How would that help at all? Resolution 16 is calibrated for 800-ton ships (Star Swarm gunboats), the smallest vessels I have observed. Going lower would only reduce the sensor's effective range, in exchange for no advantage whatsoever.

Ahhh... :-[

5000 km/s seems sufficient for now. Adding more engines would've forced me to develop a new jump engine and cloaking device.

you don't have to upgrade now, but in new designs it would save a lot of room to add more powerful engines.

A stealth ship can't be hit at all as long as it remains undetected. If active sensors ever pick it up, no ECM will save it. No point in wasting weight on that.

you don't think that the ships/missiles might miss? trust me, even a compact ECM1 will do you loads of good in every ship you have, and that extra time that ship has to fire its missiles might make a big difference in the big picture.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: March 25, 2010, 10:20:33 pm »

How's this for a jump point defense ship?

It's basically a beam warship designed to catch enemies during the 30-60 second lack of shields/sensors after a jump. Presuming a minimum 30 second blindness (assuming the ship warps in within range, which is likely since they're fairly high frequency lasers), that's 6 5 second increments or 30 laser blasts. Combine that with multiple ships defending the jump point, that's a lot of damage in a short time. Hopefully enough to destroy or cripple the enemy before they get to discover I've barely researched defenses at all.

Lasers are long-ranged weapons. I believe plasma offers higher damage assuming equal tech levels, and since range is generally not an issue during jump point defense, it might be a better option.

Now, enemy squadron transits (those that don't put ships right on the point) could theoretically give trouble to plasma weapons if the hostiles jump in too far. I don't know if the AI makes effective use of said tactic, but in that case it might be better to stick with lasers. You should be fine with a range of... uhhh... where's the fire controls on that ship? :-\
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 1347