Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1347

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2815011 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #2790 on: March 24, 2010, 10:19:53 am »

Do I just have to keep researching smaller size/longer reload launcher techs?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: March 24, 2010, 12:28:48 pm »

Smaller missile launchers > box launcher.

Smaller sized laser > ???

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: March 24, 2010, 01:27:58 pm »

Smaller missile launchers > box launcher.

Smaller sized laser > ???

There's research that does the same thing. Reduces size, increases charge time. The hardest part would be the reactor, enough of a reactor to charge a laser in any reasonable time would be kinda heavy. I'd go with meson though, being able to pierce a battleship's defenses while moving so fast would be effective - eventually you'll hit something vital.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: March 24, 2010, 01:30:38 pm »

yeah. warhead strength is not incremental

Where the hell are people getting this?  Yes, it is incremental.  It's just sub-optimal if you want maximal armor penetration for your investment.  I don't know how high the damage goes in the template table, so it's possible that ultra-heavy warheads get clipped down.  If so, the maximum damage must be at least 168 since IIRC that's the maximum carronade damage.  Carronades use the missile damage templates IIRC.  Check Steve's recent post about damage templates.  He lists which weapons use which templates.  That post may also be confusing people, hence your "fine-tune your warhead strength because damage is not incremental" thing.

The optimal values in terms of depth-per-MSP are perfect squares (e.g. 1, 4, 9, 16).  For laser warheads, which presumably use the laser templates, it appears to be three times the perfect square.  Note that laser warheads reduce the warhead strength but AFAICT can get multiple hits, since there's some sort of "Laser Warheads:  X" count, though I haven't actually used one to confirm this.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: March 24, 2010, 01:41:19 pm »

Distance/ETA bug or what?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: March 24, 2010, 01:47:58 pm »

Nope, light goes 299,792,458 m/s, or 299,792.458 km/s

Really?  Somewhere along the way I picked up the idea that the meter was redefined at some point.  IIRC it was originally relative to the Earth's circumference (one quarter of the circumference being X km, though I can't recall X) but is now defined relative to c, which is precisely 3x108 m/s.  Either there are two standards floating around or I absorbed some misinformation (a common occurrence, I assure you).

Also, side note:  I was screwing around in SM mode a while back and learned that the maximum possible missile speed, at max tech, is 300k km/s.  If Photonic Missile Drives make up 60% of a missile's MSP, it goes this speed.  Adding more thrust has no effect.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:51:19 pm by Earthquake Damage »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: March 24, 2010, 02:06:17 pm »

Yep, that's right.

300,000 km/s (or as it was precisely pointed out, 299,792 km/s) is the speed of light, so no FTL missiles allowed. :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2797 on: March 24, 2010, 02:18:25 pm »

I think that Steve actually say somewhere that he made sure there where no faster then light speeds.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2798 on: March 24, 2010, 02:28:00 pm »

yeah. warhead strength is not incremental

Where the hell are people getting this?  Yes, it is incremental.  It's just sub-optimal if you want maximal armor penetration for your investment.  I don't know how high the damage goes in the template table, so it's possible that ultra-heavy warheads get clipped down.  If so, the maximum damage must be at least 168 since IIRC that's the maximum carronade damage.  Carronades use the missile damage templates IIRC.  Check Steve's recent post about damage templates.  He lists which weapons use which templates.  That post may also be confusing people, hence your "fine-tune your warhead strength because damage is not incremental" thing.

The high damage warheads was brought up over on the aurora forums relatively recently. I'll see if I can find the relevant post.

Ah here it is.
http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2302&p=22176&hilit=warhead+template#p22176

And Steves post about the various weapon templates is here.
http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2390&p=23138#p23138

Really?  Somewhere along the way I picked up the idea that the meter was redefined at some point.  IIRC it was originally relative to the Earth's circumference (one quarter of the circumference being X km, though I can't recall X) but is now defined relative to c, which is precisely 3x108 m/s.  Either there are two standards floating around or I absorbed some misinformation (a common occurrence, I assure you).

Yep, c's never been precisely 3x108 m/s (although at one point there was discussion about redefining the meter so that it was precisely that value). You're right though that the definition used to define a meter has changed while still giving the exact same length.

Also, side note:  I was screwing around in SM mode a while back and learned that the maximum possible missile speed, at max tech, is 300k km/s.  If Photonic Missile Drives make up 60% of a missile's MSP, it goes this speed.  Adding more thrust has no effect.

In a similar fashion Steve has deliberately had the beam fire control ranges max out at just under 1.5 million km's ie the distance light will travel in a 5 second increment.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: March 24, 2010, 02:33:58 pm »

In a similar fashion Steve has deliberately had the beam fire control ranges max out at just under 1.5 million km's ie the distance light will travel in a 5 second increment.

Neat, he thinks of nearly everything doesn't he? :)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2800 on: March 24, 2010, 03:04:17 pm »

I think that Steve actually say somewhere that he made sure there where no faster then light speeds.
Yep I recall seeing him say that was a design intention, but he seems to have missed out putting an actual hard cap on ship speed, at least in the design window.

Just loaded up an all tech game to check this out.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: March 24, 2010, 03:59:41 pm »

Whats your favorite colony everybody?

(mine was posted back here.)
Quote from: ME
mine is 'Eden' [yes I'm that uncreative in names], in the 'Athens' system [told you], it sits above a ruined city, so its already got some industry, and I'm thinking of shipping more. its gravity is earthlike. its diameter is very earthlike (12400). its filled 44% with water. its year is the same as its day, 37 days. its axial tilt is 86 degrees. it has no plate tectonics. it has no magnetic field. and has 198mil(251mil now, as-of this post about this quote) colonists.

and how far away from earth? mine is 3 jumps, and each gate is very close. :)
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: March 24, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »

I'm still starting out.

So Mars. :P

But I do have another in an adjacent system that I named Taco (I'm using the Spanish Race theme, thought it was fitting). For a while I had trouble getting infrastructure there so my massive civilian sector was shipping people over there faster than I could support them.

I love this game.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: March 24, 2010, 04:43:52 pm »

Mars and Taco(es), this can only end badly. :P

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: March 24, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »

While I have your attention, I have a question. How long does it usually take to meet an NPC?

This is how much I've explored, but have only met Precursors(They start as Hostile, right?) in Kruger60 and Wolf358.

If your curious, Taco is in FL Virginis.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 1347